PDA

View Full Version : DVD don't copy messages

gemmakaru
April 30th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Why do they put those annoying don't copy messages at the beginning of every single disk in a box set. By the 6th disk it's really annoying. I brought the darn disks to watch the series, not to be threatened with jail if I show them to my mum. By the gods.

fatality_uk
April 30th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Because you shouldn't be copying the DVD's! Q.E.D.

jrothwell97
April 30th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I love how they take the accusing tone of "you wouldn't steal a car... you wouldn't steal a handbag..." etc. etc. when you've actually bought it, legally, i.e. not pirated, in which case that bloody message wouldn't precede it.

lisati
April 30th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Yes, it does seem a bit pointless at times to put some of the copyright warnings on DVDs. Rough translation: "Please do not rip us off by copying this movie without our blessing: we've put in a lot of time, effort and money to make it."

I like the one on the Simpsons Movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462538/) where Bart writes on the blackboard something like "I shall not illegally download this movie".

Objekt
April 30th, 2010, 10:25 PM
What really angers me is when they show that propoganda film - while you're SITTING IN A MOVIE THEATER! One reason I stopped going to the movies. I can get patronized and insulted at home for free.

These movie industry people clearly feel they're "entitled" to a lot of things. For example, bullying Netflix into not renting Avatar until it's been out on DVD for nearly a month. What is the point of that? Do they really think their precious movie is so important that I'm going to be "forced" to buy instead of rent? As if!

PC_load_letter
April 30th, 2010, 10:57 PM
What really angers me is when they show that propoganda film - while you're SITTING IN A MOVIE THEATER! One reason I stopped going to the movies. I can get patronized and insulted at home for free.

These movie industry people clearly feel they're "entitled" to a lot of things. For example, bullying Netflix into not renting Avatar until it's been out on DVD for nearly a month. What is the point of that? Do they really think their precious movie is so important that I'm going to be "forced" to buy instead of rent? As if!

Yeah, they asked Netflix to make Avatar unobtanium :lolflag:

gnomeuser
April 30th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Okay big content.

I bought your product, be it a CD or a DVD. The decision to give you money very likely was influenced by the ability to even get to know that it was available. This e.g. is how I discovered Dexter and I now own every single season on DVD. That is right, I am well aware that if you don't get money, my favorite TV serial killer goes off the air. In fact I spend a disturbing amount of money on DVDs and music partly to ensure that content I like continues to be created and I will happily give money to providers that are fair and honest, such as Magnatune or buying directly from the artist (e.g. I own all of Kina Grannis' albums, I even preordered Stairwells).

When you put these inane threats on your DVDs I feel a tiny bit of regret at giving you money, you sue my fellow human beings for causing imaginary losses, when in fact your industry as a whole grew it's profits last year, that adds to the regret. Add to this your insane licensing schemes which caused you to reject my attempt at buying The History Channels The Universe on DVD.. that is right I had money in hand, ready to give it to you and you said no.

If I ran a business on those terms I'd go bankrupt, you just change the law and call me a criminal, erode freedom of speech and privacy world wide thanks to your sob story when really, it's staggering incompetence.

You are utterly incompetent and you need to realize it before you destroy society and before all those little regrets build up and not even I will give you a cent.

Now excuse me I am off to preorder FlashForward on DVD before going to bed. That show is awesome.

NightwishFan
May 1st, 2010, 12:18 AM
The movie companies go to far, but I agree not to copy and give away.

Spike-X
May 1st, 2010, 04:30 AM
I'm another one that's greatly annoyed at these messages. I did the right thing by paying my money for the DVD/movie ticket, now you do the right thing and don't speak to me like I'm a criminal.

3rdalbum
May 1st, 2010, 04:54 AM
Copy the discs with K9Copy and you won't get the messages.

ssj6akshat
May 1st, 2010, 05:01 AM
The worst thing is that you get these annoying messages when you BUY the DVD.Pirates download and enjoy without interference

Dayofswords
May 1st, 2010, 05:03 AM
Why do they put those annoying don't copy messages at the beginning of every single disk in a box set. By the 6th disk it's really annoying. I brought the darn disks to watch the series, not to be threatened with jail if I show them to my mum. By the gods.

well, someone out there would copy the one that didn't say don't copy , he defend himself by saying "well, i knew the first 3 werent ok to copy.. but the 4th didnt say it!"

so now we have copy message..on...every...little........thing

gemmakaru
May 1st, 2010, 08:26 AM
Because you shouldn't be copying the DVD's! Q.E.D.

I'm not. I'm just trying to watch the episode I just paid for.

Spike-X
May 1st, 2010, 09:08 AM
Ironic, isn't it?

handy
May 1st, 2010, 10:04 AM

I wonder what percentage of people that use copied DVDs are doing so to get away from all the rubbish included on them?

Another thing, that gnomeuser previously alluded to, is the fact that most illegally downloaded movies would not have ever been bought by the person who downloaded them anyway.

It is far from accurate to use the estimated value of the estimated number of downloaded movies as being anywhere near equivalent to the amount of income lost by the industry.