PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lynx Rhythmbox: iPod Classic or Bust

tehowe
April 30th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I did a little search on here and don't see any recent posts on the topic since LTS 10.04 so it's time to open this can of worms, and see what the state of the art is.

Rhythmbox is great on Lucid Lynx. Despite what I've read online by searching about on Google (all outdated stuff) it now does all kinds of great stuff, it can download and play Video podcasts, the only thing it seems to lack as a standalone music and podcast player is an OPML imoprt tool. But even if you've got about 40 podcasts, if you open up your OPML file in GEdit and cut and paste to the New RSS input box in Rhythmbox... again and again... it doesn't take too big a bite out of the rest of your life. As I discovered.

So the thing is functional. Now comes the dreaded IPOD to throw a spanner into this happy open-source ecosystem.

I just want to know what I can and cannot do since the documentation doesn't really address it. Can you or can you not, with some reasonable amount of tweaking from stock,

1) Copy Music to the iPod Classic
2) Sync Music to the iPod Classic
3) Sync Podcasts to the iPod Classic
4) Copy Podcasts, in any way shape or form, to the iPod Classic

I've only tried 4), since there doesn't seem to be facility for 3). Mine's an 80GB 1.1.2 PC if it matters.

I wouldn't really care if 3) works or not if I could just make a playlist, call it 'Ubuntu Podcasts', say, and manually clear and drag the media onto it. Does this work for anyone? Will it ever work? Is this too much to hope for?

If it will never work, I'd like to know and I'll just go out and get a good open source MP3 and podcast player that's compatible with Rhythmbox and Apple be damned. Any suggestions as to an ideal model?That would be one less tether to my secondary Windows notebook that at present I need to keep running XP. Just. For. This. Purpose. :evil: (Oh, and to edit my reams of Sony Standard AVCHD video that Pitivi entirely chokes on. But that's for another thread.)

memoria
July 29th, 2010, 04:53 AM
nah man its all $%$%@%$#@%^& up.

BUST.

how many people gotta complain about lucid lynx not auto-mounting ipods?!?#?@#? You seriously have to "know" linux to get it to work. Its not intuitive. You cant "figure it out". You will have to have someone show you step by step, terminal command by terminal command.

tehowe
August 9th, 2010, 08:38 AM
if there's a good replacement device that jumps through these hoops for rhythmbox, i'll go out and buy whatever that is. i just want to create a playlist, drag my podcasts over, you know, shouldn't be a big deal...

bookcrazy
September 10th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I did a little search on here and don't see any recent posts on the topic since LTS 10.04 so it's time to open this can of worms, and see what the state of the art is.

Rhythmbox is great on Lucid Lynx. Despite what I've read online by searching about on Google (all outdated stuff) it now does all kinds of great stuff, it can download and play Video podcasts, the only thing it seems to lack as a standalone music and podcast player is an OPML imoprt tool. But even if you've got about 40 podcasts, if you open up your OPML file in GEdit and cut and paste to the New RSS input box in Rhythmbox... again and again... it doesn't take too big a bite out of the rest of your life. As I discovered.

So the thing is functional. Now comes the dreaded IPOD to throw a spanner into this happy open-source ecosystem.

I just want to know what I can and cannot do since the documentation doesn't really address it. Can you or can you not, with some reasonable amount of tweaking from stock,

1) Copy Music to the iPod Classic
2) Sync Music to the iPod Classic
3) Sync Podcasts to the iPod Classic
4) Copy Podcasts, in any way shape or form, to the iPod Classic

I've only tried 4), since there doesn't seem to be facility for 3). Mine's an 80GB 1.1.2 PC if it matters.

I wouldn't really care if 3) works or not if I could just make a playlist, call it 'Ubuntu Podcasts', say, and manually clear and drag the media onto it. Does this work for anyone? Will it ever work? Is this too much to hope for?

If it will never work, I'd like to know and I'll just go out and get a good open source MP3 and podcast player that's compatible with Rhythmbox and Apple be damned. Any suggestions as to an ideal model?That would be one less tether to my secondary Windows notebook that at present I need to keep running XP. Just. For. This. Purpose. :evil: (Oh, and to edit my reams of Sony Standard AVCHD video that Pitivi entirely chokes on. But that's for another thread.)
I have done 1 and 4 with my 80 GB iPod classic using Rhythmbox but there's a catch:

- my podcasts from PRI http://www.pri.org/pri-podcasts.html work like a charm but not my podcasts from NPR http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_directory.php.

It is so bizarre- I download the podcasts in RB, and can listen to them in RB, but when I copy the NPR ones onto my iPod, they show up, seem to have all the information, but will not play. If anyone can solve that one I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise, I think it might be time to buy a new mp3 player.

bookcrazy
November 24th, 2010, 03:33 PM
OK, update. Now I use banshee 1.6 and it downloads all my podcasts and syncs them to my iPod just fine. So much for Rhythmbox.