PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to Lucid from Karmic - Help

cupoange
April 30th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I'm currently upgrading my laptop, and it has completed the step "Getting new packages", and is now onto "Installing the upgrades". It says it is going to take another 2.5 hours, but I am leaving work soon and want to take the laptop with me. Is it safe to disconnect it from the internet at this point? I don't want to fudge up the install, but I don't want to have to leave my laptop at work all weekend (or have to come back and pick it up at some point).

wojox
April 30th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I would leave it or stay with it. Once you begin the upgrade and install, you can't unplug it and start over again. Not without something becoming corrupt.

eltonw
April 30th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I'm currently upgrading my laptop, and it has completed the step "Getting new packages", and is now onto "Installing the upgrades". It says it is going to take another 2.5 hours, but I am leaving work soon and want to take the laptop with me. Is it safe to disconnect it from the internet at this point? I don't want to fudge up the install, but I don't want to have to leave my laptop at work all weekend (or have to come back and pick it up at some point).

Abort the upgrade. Upgrade Manager will reset the system to it's pristine state. Take your laptop home, then do your upgrade there. It will take several hours since all the distribution channels are VERY busy.

cupoange
April 30th, 2010, 09:03 PM
since I can't abort the upgrade, and I can't stay with it, I guess I'll leave it on at work. Maybe I'll try to stop back on the way home and pick it up, its just a real pain in the *** to get here after hours. oh well. that's what I get for being impatient.