PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lucid~ all works great!..except software center/synaptic...

Rasa1111
April 30th, 2010, 08:14 PM
people of Ubuntu Tribe.. using Lucid Lynx 10.04

Is your software center/ synaptic package manager working properly for you?
I am guessing yes.... so, I figure the problem is on my end most likely... lol

I just got Lucid installed after some minor troubles last night,
but with the help of great people, I have it installed now (thank you!)
and it all *ok, most* works beautifully!

However, I have been downloading/installing "Ubuntu restricted extras" , for the last 20 minutes now, and it is only at 12% .

In karmic koala, these things happened pretty quickly,
but now it is just soooper slooooowww. :confused:

Before I started the restricted extras..
I installed VLC player, and that took about 15 minutes just for that.
and now it is nowhere to be found! :confused:

it does not show in USC under installed software, nor does it show in synaptic..
and it is in no menu, anywhere. :(

I dont understand. lol

speaking of synaptic...
I cant get VLC, or Ubuntu restricted extras to show up,
it does not 'find' them when I type their name into the search bar..
it acts as if they don't exist.

I havent attempted to find, or install anything else that I had on my karmic box yet...
only these 2 things, vlc and restricted extras....
and both have been ..well.....
painfully slow.....
and vlc doesnt even seem to have installed, after it took 15-20 minutes, and said it was finished.:confused:

if this was "back to normal"... this would definitely be the best OS i have ever seen/used.

can anyone shed some light on this n00bs dark software center/synaptic package manager? :KS
lol

many thanks.

Great Job Ubuntu Team!! :KS
this is very impressive OS!!
you guys/gals rock big time. many thanks

coffeecat
April 30th, 2010, 08:39 PM
The slowness is probably down to the fact that the servers are being overloaded at the moment. Just be patient - it will settle down in a day or so - or change the download server in Software Sources. You may find that one of the mirrors is less congested than the main servers.

As far as VLC and ubuntu-restricted-extras not appearing, I don't know. If you managed to install them they should show up in Synaptic, but check this. In Synaptic, Settings > Repositories > Ubuntu Software tab. Make sure the universe and multiverse boxes are ticked. Then do a 'Reload'.

If VLC installed correctly, it will appear in the (gnome) menu under Applications > Sound and Video.

eltonw
April 30th, 2010, 08:41 PM
people of Ubuntu Tribe.. using Lucid Lynx 10.04

Is your software center/ synaptic package manager working properly for you?
I am guessing yes.... so, I figure the problem is on my end most likely... lol

I just got Lucid installed after some minor troubles last night,
but with the help of great people, I have it installed now (thank you!)
and it all *ok, most* works beautifully!

However, I have been downloading/installing "Ubuntu restricted extras" , for the last 20 minutes now, and it is only at 12% .

In karmic koala, these things happened pretty quickly,
but now it is just soooper slooooowww. :confused:

Before I started the restricted extras..
I installed VLC player, and that took about 15 minutes just for that.
and now it is nowhere to be found! :confused:

it does not show in USC under installed software, nor does it show in synaptic..
and it is in no menu, anywhere. :(

I dont understand. lol

speaking of synaptic...
I cant get VLC, or Ubuntu restricted extras to show up,
it does not 'find' them when I type their name into the search bar..
it acts as if they don't exist.

I havent attempted to find, or install anything else that I had on my karmic box yet...
only these 2 things, vlc and restricted extras....
and both have been ..well.....
painfully slow.....
and vlc doesnt even seem to have installed, after it took 15-20 minutes, and said it was finished.:confused:

if this was "back to normal"... this would definitely be the best OS i have ever seen/used.

can anyone shed some light on this n00bs dark software center/synaptic package manager? :KS
lol

many thanks.

Great Job Ubuntu Team!! :KS
this is very impressive OS!!
you guys/gals rock big time. many thanks

Some of the packages you are trying to get may have been deprecated (no longer available or supported... 'restricted' means that the liscence may not be totally open source or free. As for slowness, at this time (new release) expect that all the normal download channels will be "high traffic".

Rasa1111
April 30th, 2010, 08:53 PM
ahh thank you peoples. :)
i feel better. lol

that does make sense.
overloaded servers.

patience i will have then. lol

thanks so much.

this is beautiful system!!

coffeecat
April 30th, 2010, 09:01 PM
patience i will have then. lol

But if you do get impatient :wink: , have a look at this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu#Download%20Server

If you click on the 'Select Best Server' it will ping all 350 and tell you which responds quickest. I was getting very slow download speeds after a fresh Lucid install this morning. My Software Sources download server was set to 'Server for UK' so I changed it to one of the other UK mirrors and immediately got speeds near the maximum of my broadband connection. It's worth doing - it spreads the load around.

By the way, once I'd changed the server I successfully installed both ubuntu-restricted extras and VLC so they're both still there.

Have fun!

Rasa1111
April 30th, 2010, 09:23 PM
But if you do get impatient :wink: , have a look at this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu#Download%20Server

If you click on the 'Select Best Server' it will ping all 350 and tell you which responds quickest. I was getting very slow download speeds after a fresh Lucid install this morning. My Software Sources download server was set to 'Server for UK' so I changed it to one of the other UK mirrors and immediately got speeds near the maximum of my broadband connection. It's worth doing - it spreads the load around.

By the way, once I'd changed the server I successfully installed both ubuntu-restricted extras and VLC so they're both still there.

Have fun!

ahh you are beautiful!!
and right! lol :D

very niice! thank you!! :KS

wow awesome.. everything is great now!!

Namaste, my friends,
Namaste' <3

xx58
April 30th, 2010, 10:13 PM
:rolleyes:Millions the people downloading same time, that is the " Slow" problem.

Rasa1111
April 30th, 2010, 10:16 PM
:rolleyes:Millions the people downloading same time, that is the " Slow" problem.

silly me.
should have thought of that. lol
doh. :KS

xe1ufo
May 1st, 2010, 04:40 PM
Hi. I did a clean install on my Acer aspire One, replacing a previous 9.10 install. I have (apparently) all hardware working out of the box, and a working Internet connection. (I am writing this in 10.04.)

However, I am unable to install anything from the repositories. I went through the process of selecting best repository, and ended up with a No repositories found message. I tried manually editing the repository list with sudo gedit, doing apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, etc. Sometimes I get an Unable to lock warning, though I have absolutely nothing else open.

HELP!!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Rasa1111
May 1st, 2010, 09:11 PM
Hi. I did a clean install on my Acer aspire One, replacing a previous 9.10 install. I have (apparently) all hardware working out of the box, and a working Internet connection. (I am writing this in 10.04.)

However, I am unable to install anything from the repositories. I went through the process of selecting best repository, and ended up with a No repositories found message. I tried manually editing the repository list with sudo gedit, doing apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, etc. Sometimes I get an Unable to lock warning, though I have absolutely nothing else open.

HELP!!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

hi xe1ufo,

it sounds like the same thing that was happening to me for the first hour or two after I got it installed.
a couple hours later though, it picked up and started acting normal.

I was also getting an 'unable to lock' warning, and (think) i figured out it had to do with software center trying to do something in the background, while synaptic was also trying to do something.

After I first got it installed...

Synaptic would not find anything I would search for, ( i thought all the stuff was no longer in use in lucid or something at first) :lol:

sorry I realy dont know what the problem is on your end...

but have you tried a restart?

maybe let the system 'start fresh'... and try synaptic again?

i dont know... hmm.....
someone will come along who can help im sure...
:popcorn: