PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Ubuntu full installation from Wubi through LVPM

bentham
April 30th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I am not going to upgrade yet my Ubuntu 9.10, because I installed it with WUBI and I prefer to wait for bugs solved.

But I've thought to migrate my Ubuntu-Wubi to a Ubuntu full installation. As you can suppose, I would like to keep my current configuration (programs, settings, documents...). I will do a backup, but I have discovered this tool, LVPM (Loopmounted Virtual Partition Manager), that "allows users to upgrade their existing Wubi or Lubi installation to a standard Ubuntu system by transferring all data, settings, and applications from the original install to a dedicated partition".
http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html
As many other people, I've started to work in ubuntu thanks to wubi, because I didn't want to uninstall my original Windows XP, since I still need it (no questions about this, Spanish education system, university and administration is totally dependent of Microsoft). And the main problem for people to have a dual system of wintows-ubuntu is always the same: very few people want to format the default-windows-system (for instance, my Acer Aspire One came with W-XP and had the original-backup partition. (Understand people with no high-knowledge of this topic, as me, please).

Anybody has tried it out? How has it gone?

I think it will be a good idea to have a full Ubuntu installation before upgrade to LucidLynx.

Thanks for your opinions, experiences or help.

bentham
May 1st, 2010, 06:16 PM
Would it be bettter to use UNetbootin instead of LVPM?