PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 10.04 halted at "replacing config file /etc/default/grub with new version"

patslap
April 30th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I'm upgrading 64-bit 9.10 to 10.04.

All went as expected until terminal in upgrade manager displayed "replacing config file /etc/default/grub with new version" and upgrade has halted there for 30 minutes.

What do I do? There is no 'cancel' button, and don;t want to reboot mid-upgrade in case it messes up system. Any ideas?

Thanks

eyemeansit
April 30th, 2010, 10:14 PM
exact same problem here. No answer yet.

dino99
April 30th, 2010, 10:17 PM
i guess you have answered "yes"

have any hot keys to exit ? Alt+ c or x or q (dont remember) or esc

patslap
May 1st, 2010, 07:14 AM
No - there was no question re upgrade; upgrade manager tried to set grub-pc and is still frozen now some 12 hours later.

I'm backing up my home folder now as i anticipate a broken system :(

Why has this happened with an LTS upgrade? Surely this should be more stable?

Any ideas how to kick-start the installation back in progress to avoid a system reboot mid-install? :(

patslap
May 1st, 2010, 11:55 AM
Managed to fix: pressed CTRL-C to exit the terminal screen in the upgrade manager, then rebooted and selected fail-safe boot option. Ithen selected the option to 'clean dpkg' (or something similar) which then worked some magic, rebooted and 10.04 successfuly installed finally and now works.

eyemeansit
May 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM
I took another route... I had already installed Kubuntu 10.04 final release on another partition, and have abandoned the 9.10 installation, except to mount it within 10.04 so I can port my settings over. I just was hoping the upgrade would go nicely so I wouldn't have to do that. Oh well.