PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] kubuntu 9.04 works, but 9.10 and 10.04 don't

poukill
April 30th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Hello guys,

I spent already a full week trying to solve this problem, I'm becoming mad. So I'm coming to you to get a little help !

5 months ago, I decided to give a new life to an old computer for my grand parents (time for them to taste technology), and I decided to install Linux on it! I use kubuntu for my personal computer and it works fine. A few shortcuts for Internet and mails, and that's it for old persons. So, let's go !
I tried to install the kubuntu 9.10 which was the version of the moment, and it failed. The installation was OK, but when I removed the installation CD and rebooted, the welcoming screen appeared and was starting to loop again and again. I wasn't able to reach the desktop, ever. I checked the MD5 sum, all was fine. But no way, it just didn't work...
I tried an older version (9.04), and it just worked immediately !!! :confused: I was quite happy at the moment, because I had little time to set up the computer before Christmas, but still... This problem was annoying.

Today, I tried to install 10.04 on the same computer, and it fails the same way : welcoming screen is looping. Kubuntu is stuck ! :(

I know I can download the 9.04 again, and it should work, but I would love to install a new version, with a better media support. Many collegues send them latest format of videos DVD, and so on, and kubuntu 9.04 seems to have much more trouble to deal with them. With kubuntu 10.04, all media work "out of the box", and that's what people who don't understand computer expect !!!

Just to give additional information, the liveCD of 10.04 gets stuck in the same place : welcoming screen is looping...

Why do the old 9.04 version works, and not the new ones ? O.o
I was wondering about ext3 and ext4 partition, but the live CD doesn't work, so...

Thank you very much.

Poukill