PDA

View Full Version : To Small Lower Memory in Karmic Koala

bluespider
April 30th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Hello I am a new user of Ubuntu, currently running Karmic koala (64 bit) which I just installed. I noticed that the computer was doing everything really slowly, so at the boot up screen I ran the memtest, and here is the message I saw : To small lower memory 0x99100 > 0x8f000 I do not know what that means but It seems to mean something is not right. If anyone does know what this means and what I should do to fix it, I would greatly appreciate the help, thank you.

Computer specs are as follows:

Core duo 2.4 gig 3 gb of ram
dual boot system
Nvidia 9500 gt pci express video card

Paqman
April 30th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Have you installed the drivers for your Nvidia card? Go to System > Admin > Hardware Drivers to get them if you haven't.

bluespider
April 30th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Have you installed the drivers for your Nvidia card? Go to System > Admin > Hardware Drivers to get them if you haven't.

Yes I have installed the Nvidia drivers

Sealbhach
April 30th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I would upgrade to Lucid if I were you. I don't know why your system is so slow, could be any number of reasons.

RTrev
April 30th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Is this computer one that was working fine before? Did you recently add or change the 3G of memory in it? Seems like the memtest routine is not happy with the hardware.

bluespider
April 30th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Is this computer one that was working fine before? Did you recently add or change the 3G of memory in it? Seems like the memtest routine is not happy with the hardware.

Right after install it seemed to be working fine, it's possible I didn't notice though because I wasn't really doing anything too intensive for the computer. Everything runs fine in windows. As far as the memory everything is the same as it was on install. I have performed tests on the ram which indicate everything is fine.

Sealbhach
April 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Right after install it seemed to be working fine, it's possible I didn't notice though because I wasn't really doing anything too intensive for the computer. Everything runs fine in windows. As far as the memory everything is the same as it was on install. I have performed tests on the ram which indicate everything is fine.

Go for Lucid dude. It's an LTS. In my experience, it's way better than 9.10.

RTrev
April 30th, 2010, 05:54 PM
It would seem that there is some sort of BIOS and Memtest interaction, and bug reports have been filed, but you may want to explore it a bit:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=549429

Or just Google on "memtest too small lower memory" without the quotes.

Maybe somebody will come along that knows how to deal with this. I guess, if you're so inclined, I'd second the suggestion to try installing the newest version (released yesterday) and see how that works. Maybe they've worked around this problem.

Good luck! Wish I could help more...

Sealbhach
April 30th, 2010, 06:21 PM
It would seem that there is some sort of BIOS and Memtest interaction, and bug reports have been filed, but you may want to explore it a bit:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=549429

Or just Google on "memtest too small lower memory" without the quotes.

Maybe somebody will come along that knows how to deal with this. I guess, if you're so inclined, I'd second the suggestion to try installing the newest version (released yesterday) and see how that works. Maybe they've worked around this problem.

Good luck! Wish I could help more...

I googled a bit too. I suspect this Memtest result is not much to worry about.

bluespider
May 1st, 2010, 03:48 AM
Go for Lucid dude. It's an LTS. In my experience, it's way better than 9.10.

Thanks to all for their help, I appreciate it. I decided to move to Lucid. I installed it and it seemed to be moving much faster, I was even able to render a file which had crashed on Karmic, it rendered amazingly fast as well. One thing though, maybe this is just due to the size of the drive I am not sure, I have a terabyte drive, it takes a long time for the file manager to open, its a usb drive (I don't know if that matters) is this normal ? Otherwise I am pleased with Lucid.

leomelo
March 31st, 2011, 05:10 PM
I have same problem.It seem to be a bug in Memtest86+.Apparently,it has been solved in Memtest86+ version 4.20.The Ubuntu repository version is 4.10.I made the memory test by downloading the bootable iso (version 4.20) from Memtest86+ website amd copied to a cd and booting it.Everything was ok.