PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wierd display of applications window after 10.04 upgrade

retiefdv
April 30th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 this morning on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. There are a few serious problems with how application windows are displayed on my screen. They seem to be placed on a screen with a lower resolution than the actual screen, with maximused windows taking up the top left section of the screen. The application window also covers the top gnome panel making the Ubuntu menu inaccessible. The application window has no borders, moving my mouse over the window edges does not make available any window resize functionality available through the change in the mouse cursor shape. The top edge of the window is also missing, so I cannot move a window or access the restore/minimise/maximise/close buttons that are on the top edge of the window. I also have no applications appear on the bottom gnome panel. HELP, PLEASE!

Sam Fallow
April 30th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Done the same upgrade this morning and found the same problem.

I went to change my display by clicking
System\Preferences\Appearance...

and noticed the 'visual effects' had reverted to 'None'.

After changing to 'Extra' it searched for the driver and all is back to how I want it.

I'm sure there are other ways, but this was quick and easy and worked for me.

wekebu
May 2nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Dang, thank you for posting the problem and the response! I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 and every time I opened an application the window would dock in the upper left, covering up the main panel as well as the previously opened window. Resizing or moving was impossible.

Thank you!!

retiefdv
May 2nd, 2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks, Sam for your response. Changing the settings for System -> Appearance -> Visual Effects from None to Normal does fix the problem on my laptop, but, and this is a big BUT, I must make these settings changes each and every time I switch on my laptop. It really must be possible to find a permanent solution to this problem.

wekebu
May 2nd, 2010, 11:03 PM
My settings reverted after a reboot also. Is this a driver issue? I have an old desktop, a Dell from approx 2001. Looks like a nVidia, GeForce4 MX 420, driver version 96.343.17. I'm very green at updating drivers in Ubuntu.
ps, this worked well on 3 previous versions of Ubuntu.

rr1716@gmail.com
May 17th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I can not even get to where I can click on Applications! Any idea?