PDA

View Full Version : Lucid Lynx - Ubuntu 10.04 - anyone tried???

randolf_ambrose
April 30th, 2010, 04:12 PM
just curious...

was waiting for final release since last 2 months...

now thats its final, i'm afraid... :D

who all tried it...

how was your experience...

am i gonna be disappointed like i was when i installed Karmic after my fav Jaunty Jackalope???

Sealbhach
April 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM
A lot depends on your hardware, as always it will vary from system to system. Why not try out the LiveCD, without installing it. I've been using 10.04 since the Beta and for me it's the best release ever.

leonhook
April 30th, 2010, 04:17 PM
its a lot faster and the install was so quick!! and had no problems with it so far. setting up a network printer was easier and everything is faster and better for me.

Jerry N
April 30th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Who knows if you will be disappointed or not? So far it works OK for me but don't use the "Alternate Install", it takes a little longer than forever. I understand that starting up the desktop live CD and installing from there is much faster. Unfortunately I installed it from the alternate before I heard that.

Jerry

Jerry N
April 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM
its a lot faster and the install was so quick!! and had no problems with it so far. setting up a network printer was easier and everything is faster and better for me.

Interesting - my install from the Alternate Install Disk was the slowest install I have ever seen on anything since I installed OS/2 from floppies. It was the same way on the RC too. And the install of the final release was on an entirely different (and much faster) computer than the install of the RC. I read that this had something to do with the way ext4 works with Lucid.

Jerry

akand074
April 30th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Best release yet. I love it.

snip3r8
April 30th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Last time I tried Lucid it was still a beta and i couldnt install nvidia .run drivers,is this still an issue in the final release?

leonhook
April 30th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Last time I tried Lucid it was still a beta and i couldnt install nvidia .run drivers,is this still an issue in the final release?

nvidia driver work perfectly on my machine. so am guessing its sorted

randolf_ambrose
April 30th, 2010, 04:33 PM
hmmm...

my hardware meets the requirements...

its just that, i was so in love with jaunty jackalope... when karmic was released, i had much hopes... but as far as i've seen, karmic sucks!!! so i went back to jaunty!!! was waiting for Lucid's final release...

i hope i dont get nvidia probs...

and i wish that this time ubuntu recognises my richo memory card...

_0R10N
April 30th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I upgraded last night. Everything works fine... but I have these two problems:

1- Flash Support on web browsers (I've read about a way to get it working, but I haven't tried)
2- Gnome doesn't remember my Visual Effects settings. I click on "extra". On reboot, it's back "none".

Besides those, I'm pretty happy with Lucid!

eltonw
April 30th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Interesting - my install from the Alternate Install Disk was the slowest install I have ever seen on anything since I installed OS/2 from floppies. It was the same way on the RC too. And the install of the final release was on an entirely different (and much faster) computer than the install of the RC. I read that this had something to do with the way ext4 works with Lucid.

Jerry

Those were the days... 22 floppies, oh, my! :lolflag:
IF you look at the release notes for LUCID LYNX LTS:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/1004, Section:"Performance regressions with ext4 under certain workloads":
it will explain the slowness during installation on some systems.
On the HDD of my Asus EEE 1000 which took several HOURS to upgrade from Karmic.

WRT wireless connection problems [LUCID LTS] there is a working patched kernel HERE:
http://rsalveti.net/pub/ubuntu/kernel/lucid/linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic_2.6.32-21.32rsalveti1_i386.deb

1Michael1
April 30th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I'm currently running Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop, how do I upgrade it to 10.04 without losing any data?

Nevermind, figured it out. Sorry.

cap10Ibraim
April 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Everything is running well , dual booting with windows 7 using 64 bit version
I think it's very neat and well organized

sb5551
April 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I havent got much time to play with it yet, but so far it looks ok.

My install did take over an hour though. I am not sure why. I used a live CD and the manual partition editor to overwrite my existing ubuntu.

Edit: I just read EltonW's post on why it took so long.

cgroza
April 30th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I upgraded from Karmic and everything works fine... It just took like 2 hours to upgrade.

parn
April 30th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Using a 5 year old Acer TravelMate 8100, linux will usually have no trouble with such "matured" hardware :P so here is my experience upgrading to lynx.

Upgraded to Lynx this morning with the alternate CD. Took about 2 hours to complete the upgrade but again I have a lot of things in my notebook.

Everything seems to be working and my 5 year old notebook took only 45 seconds from power up to the login screen - Putting it in perspective: that is only slightly slower than a 4GB ram Core 2 Duo notebook booting into Windows 7 and my notebook has half the RAM and half the processor XD.

Hiccups:
Cant get Gnome-Shell to work >.<".
GnoMenu 2.5 is not working fully.
.... and That's it.

My only real complain is that it looks too Mac-ish but that can be fixed easily.

crienoloog
April 30th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Got stuck half-way... I think it had something to do that I had installed a 32-bit [9.10] on a 64 machine [which was my choice] and the upgrade was confused and couldn't upgrade the 32-bit with the 64-bit which he reconned it had to install, recognizing the 64-bit machine.
Probably have to reinstall everything from scrap... damn
What should have happened that the devs should have made it an option for 64-bit machines to install either version.

robertrose6
April 30th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here it goes anyways.
Is there a way to turn off the touch pad in 10.4? Its was removed in 9.10 and I hope its back.

DRAGONPOWER
April 30th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Man, Lucid Lynx is absolutely a work of art. Flawless I may say!

I had 9.10 before 1 hour ago, and first off sound drivers were literally non-existant.

First thing I was hoping to hear from 10.04 was sound, and voila, it did indeed work! The installation was quick and easy.

The boot time is good, interface good, overall it is a fabulous work of art!

ATi Drivers X86-64 work fine. I'm setting up Compiz at the moment, hopefully won't give me a hard time!

5 Stars! :)

Oh and my system is: Dell Studio 1700 series, with ATi Mob Rad 4500 series.

randolf_ambrose
April 30th, 2010, 05:43 PM
i'm so happy to hear that everyone loves lucid...

wow... i cant wait for the download to finish!!!

by the way, what about Pulse Audio???

and can anyone suggest a way to hook up my sony ericsson with ubuntu???

i've tried that app using bluetooth... but it never worked!!!

jbeckner
April 30th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I installed 10.04 on my Compaq F730US last night. The installation seemed pretty fast…keeping in mind the last OS installation I did was Vista. This is my first venture back into Linux since a brief stint with Ubuntu version 7.somethin’. I’m back for another try mainly because of wireless issues which I hoped Ubuntu would solve. Well, not so fast there Spanky!!! Still the same darn “orange light/wireless no worky” problem as with Vista but everything else seems to be functioning nicely.

Anybody wanting to jump in with a possible solution to my wireless issue should feel free to have at it…

dps9682
April 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Yep I tried it this morning, Install was pretty quick looks nice but uninstalled it after about an hour or so after noticing a lot of the same issues (firefox crashing, getting stuck in starting mode, my nvidia not seen properly in this version etc) as well as the new chat/mail intergration actually just being empathy and a link to evolution and nothing more, Was excited with the build up as it was seen as a huge jump for Ubuntu but tbh .. not really.

sb5551
April 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM
My wireless light stays orange but the wireless works fine. It has actually never worked since I upgraded from vista to 7.

randolf_ambrose
April 30th, 2010, 05:52 PM
nvidia driver work perfectly on my machine. so am guessing its sorted

now thats a relief!!!

Ubu2010
April 30th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I have used the Beta for a few weeks now, and no problems. Going for the full release candidate install, downloading right as I type this. :D

randolf_ambrose
April 30th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I have used the Beta for a few weeks now, and no problems. Going for the full release candidate install, downloading right as I type this. :D

same here... :-D

randolf_ambrose
April 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I installed 10.04 on my Compaq F730US last night. The installation seemed pretty fast…keeping in mind the last OS installation I did was Vista. This is my first venture back into Linux since a brief stint with Ubuntu version 7.somethin’. I’m back for another try mainly because of wireless issues which I hoped Ubuntu would solve. Well, not so fast there Spanky!!! Still the same darn “orange light/wireless no worky” problem as with Vista but everything else seems to be functioning nicely.

Anybody wanting to jump in with a possible solution to my wireless issue should feel free to have at it…

i had this problem when i tried Karmic... infact, i had a lot of problems when i tried Karmic... like my nvidia settings were not permanent... every time it boots up, i had to reconfigure it...

i have high expectations for Lucid Lynx...

and from comments all of you is keeping my enthusiasm up and running!!!

hope nobody had much trouble with nvidia, pulse audio and compiz...

dasbooter
April 30th, 2010, 06:23 PM
i'm so happy to hear that everyone loves lucid...

wow... i cant wait for the download to finish!!!

by the way, what about Pulse Audio???

and can anyone suggest a way to hook up my sony ericsson with ubuntu???

i've tried that app using bluetooth... but it never worked!!!

Upgraded yesterday I still have the same issues with pulse audio Stuttering Sound. I actually upgraded to see if this issue had been resolved and was heavily disappointed it wasnt. Using Aureal vortex 2 spdif out. Somebody throw me a bone here pls

randolf_ambrose
April 30th, 2010, 06:44 PM
hey, is there a way to migrate all firefox settings and data from windows to ubuntu???

randolf_ambrose
April 30th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Upgraded yesterday I still have the same issues with pulse audio Stuttering Sound. I actually upgraded to see if this issue had been resolved and was heavily disappointed it wasnt. Using Aureal vortex 2 spdif out. Somebody throw me a bone here pls

thats bad... when i heard there are some pulse audio updates and it has more imp that alsa, i was relieved!!!

but... still have bugs huh...

smerral
April 30th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Yes, I love it! I had a problem in karmic - I had to disable the hi-speed usb to prevent crashes. No problems at all with Lucid.

To the enquiry about the touchpad: add
sudo modprobe -r psmouse
directly after the first line in etc/init.d/rc.local
Re-enable by doing: sudo modprobe psmouse.

tzily
April 30th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I just upgraded myself, I like how my karmic worked despite the few problems i had with it and managed to solve but this is ok I guess. I've noticed the boot/shut down timing isn't better like i heard, it's worse. Haven't done any tests to see how it moves in action but i'm sure it's fine.
The left buttons scared me for a second but managed to change them back to the right with gconf-editor. It felt just like i was using my mouse with my left hand, and i'm right handed.
Anyway for who is interested: apps->metacity->general->button_layout - change close,minimize,maximize: to
menu:minimize,maximize,close

rickvan67
April 30th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Upgraded from Karmic yesterday. The file download was painfully slow (due to flooded servers I'm sure), and my actual upgrade took forever. The entire process from start to finish took about 4 hours. In the end though everything seems to be working flawlessly, the OS seems snappier than karmic and graphically more polished. One minor issue which I haven't tried to fix yet...the volume control in the "system tray" is missing so I have to go through the preferences drop down menu to change my volume, strange.

barney385
April 30th, 2010, 07:22 PM
It's a great improvement, no doubt.

It loads super fast, and Firefox is fast, and my graphics(Nvidia) work great.

I was able to uninstall evolution also, which is nice since I don't use it.

There weren't even any upgrades today.

:smile:

finito
April 30th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I got a new lappy a week ago first thing I did was install 9.10,

smooth install. system feels cool, I was having some heat issues where the fan is not supported but I got the thing working so My CPU was idling at 38C.

Last night I get 10.04 install takes forever, but no worries, I get the system up and same thing fan not working, I try the same technique to make it work, ok got it working but, My idle is now at 40C. The system feels a little more (for a lack of a better word right now) bulky. I will keep testing it maybe I did something wrong. I may downgrade or reinstall.

axel206
April 30th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Once again nice work from the developers! 10.04 is faster too!

Here is some help for new users: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 Post Installation Guide (http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/linux/193-ubuntu-lucid-lynx-1004-post-installation-guide)

J V
April 30th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I downloaded a daily build 2 weeks before release: Other than a gnome-session workaround it hasn't given me any trouble... Even hibernation works now :)

netipot
April 30th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Well I'm very happy with lucid. I have a zonbu mini and zonbu is nowhere now. I installed jaunty which I have on my netbook because karmic had to many problems. My mini had real issues with jaunty, like the curser became invisible, so I ended up using hardy. It was way better than zonbu but I had problems with mounting usb drives, had to go into terminal. I never tried karmic and when I got my new 8GB CF card I just went and installed lucid and everything is working! and it's so fast!

CharlesA
April 30th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I like how the terminal screen is the correct resolution for my monitor and how it turns off the monitor instead of just blanking the screen after a bit.

Overall I haven't had any problems with it, and I installed in yesterday.

DRAGONPOWER
April 30th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Once again nice work from the developers! 10.04 is faster too!

Here is some help for new users: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 Post Installation Guide (http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/linux/193-ubuntu-lucid-lynx-1004-post-installation-guide)

Perfect, I appreciate this post. I am bettin' there are a lot of people like me who want to come back to Lynx now.

I was from 6.06 LTS, now back on 10.04 LTS, and Compiz is a major package I want to get busy on.

Thanks!

eltonw
May 1st, 2010, 06:41 PM
I am using an Asus EEE 1000 netbook.

Perhaps this would help other netbook users:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9203922#post9203922 (#136)

The wireless connection problem is addressed via the patched kernel that I have mentioned in my post.

brian long
May 1st, 2010, 06:46 PM
I have been running 9.10 since last october, and am happy with it. I just bought a new laptop, and overwrote window 7 with 10.04, and now can't get it to recognize a network. I did an nm-tool command, and the state is "disconnected". the only driver listed is "b43". I have checked other posts on this issue for 9.10, but nothing specific in 10.04. I can't even post a copy of the ishw command, because I have to use the Wife's computer.
Can anybody help?

randolf_ambrose
May 1st, 2010, 06:52 PM
got damn it!!!

my broadcom wireless that worked fine with my jaunty doesnt work in lucid...

what the hell...

wired connection is working...

no wifi... it doesnt even recognise my wifi...

brian long
May 1st, 2010, 07:08 PM
I downloaded the patch that EltonW mentioned, and intalled it, then robooted. I still have the wireless networks disconnected. I am dead in the water. Does anybody have any other ideas?

EnderBG
May 1st, 2010, 07:19 PM
For me its great so far!!! Give it a try!!!:)

jojubees
May 1st, 2010, 07:44 PM
Running great on my HP 9812us notebook.

xumuk37
May 1st, 2010, 07:48 PM

yes. there is a same problem... still...

brian long
May 1st, 2010, 11:46 PM
I have discovered that Ubuntu doesn't work well with Dell's new laptop design. There is a button (F2) that turns the wireless card off and on. Ubuntu apparently doesn't know how to deal with it. I have loaded 10.04, and then reverted back to 9.10. Neither of them work. Dell doesn't offer support for Linux, they are of no help whatsoever. In fact, they suggest I put windows 7 back on. Has anyone else run into this issue? I downloaded a patch, but it doesn't seem to help in this situation.

xumuk37
May 1st, 2010, 11:48 PM
anyone tried???

IMHO, half forum xD

albert s
May 2nd, 2010, 12:14 AM
going good for me so far,
nvidia GPU and edimax wifi were plug and play so to speak.
had a nightmare installing though, I changed from 32bit to 64 and ended up wiping everything to get it to work/install properly.
but all good now though(so far)
flash etc all seem good too, not had any hiccups yet that havent been self solved really, apart from my lack of knowledge really.

UnknownFear
May 2nd, 2010, 12:29 AM
I absolutely love Lucid Lynx and I'm very impressed with the improvements and features. I love the social integration that has been implemented, and also, I am VERY happy that Ubuntu finally supports the iDevices in it's out-of-box state.

SlappyPappy
May 2nd, 2010, 03:22 AM
Great stuff so far. The speed is good, I love the looks much more than 9.10 for sure.

Haven't tested everything yet but what I've seen to this point, I like a lot.

I was a little nervous about going the upgrade route online but I have to say I'm totally impressed. Ubuntu people really know what they're doing with this OS.

Super polished and great work guys!

:guitar::guitar::guitar:

graven80
May 2nd, 2010, 04:21 AM
I've had poor experiences in the past following the upgrade route. Anyway, this time I thought "What the Hell" and I gave it a go. I must say, so far I'm really impressed. It appears that everything is working, (at least everything I've played with up to now!).

The upgrade was also completely painless. Just a case of accepting and sitting back and watching. Upgrade was Kubuntu 9.10 to 10.4.

zatnuviz
May 2nd, 2010, 08:01 AM
Really good experience, i am happy with it, but there was some problems after installing it due to installation problems, at first sight it was doing it well, but after reboot, it wont load grub 2, i was able to manage this using the ubuntu 9.10 disc, because i haven't downloaded the disc just had click on update to get lucid, so i have done a grub reinstall, ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ), and after it i was able to run my windows and ubuntu side by side, i must admit, lucid is faster that windows 7 in some tasks, and better at integrating social networks, so after that i get a good experience from this update, but all my buttons close, max, rest, where not there, so i check the forums for a solution, found it, and all is working well now, must say this is the best Operative system, gratz ubuntu team, i am enjoying it, but i think you guys must fix this little problems so users will be even happier

Also forgot to say that before my sound recording wasn't working, but after this upgrade all works smothly

vijayshukla
May 2nd, 2010, 09:03 AM
I have installed lucid lynx on laptop which has a sis 671 graphics card. Actually it did not support the graphics environment of lucid and violet bars were coming after installing driver provided by ubuntu forum. I removed it and now it is working fine.

Shark_AtK12
May 2nd, 2010, 09:25 AM
I have the server version running on my old desktop. No problems at all so far. I will be installing the Desktop version on my laptop when I have time. Hopefully that will be smooth as its pretty new.

ankit singh
May 2nd, 2010, 10:47 AM
just curious...

who all tried it...

am i gonna be disappointed like i was when i installed Karmic after my fav Jaunty Jackalope???

If u are a nvidia user lucid will boil ur head. It takes about 20sec for panels to come on the surface after when u log in. So total time wasted ~40 seconds+user time:cry:
(NOTE: no desktop effects are not activated)

If u can compromise with this, then lucid is good over karmic

If u are nvidia don't go to lucid. I install lucid on three systems having nvidia cards and all have same results. :cry:

Nick.Sth
May 2nd, 2010, 10:54 AM
Installed it yesterday, its running smoothly no problems till now. I enjoy it's colour scheme abit more, and generally everything is running smoother, also you can right click on the desktop > Change Desktop Background > Visual Effects, and when you chose extra, you have many nice add ons that dont require that you open Compizconfig, such as the wobbly effect and more!

tonythemushroom
May 2nd, 2010, 01:23 PM
just curious...

who all tried it...

im using it now , i like it a lot , its faster at loading , it seems to run more smoother with my packard bell igo 4451 laptop , i like it a lot :P:P

Khakilang
May 2nd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Took me 10 hours from downloading the upgrade to installation. Keeping my finger cross the whole night and by the next morning Lucid Lynx was on my screen and breath a sign of relieve. Everything works great.

Frogs Hair
May 2nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
I had a change of mind and hit the upgrade button at 9;00 pm on 5/1/10 and was pretty much done by 12:00
am . I stayed on the computer till 2:00 am, playing and fine tuning .

So, I'm a little tired , Sunday is a day of rest anyway. This was the simplest upgrade ever ! The download and the repository were very fast compared to Thursday when it took 15 minutes to download one program for 9.10 .

I thought that I would wait to upgrade , but the upgrade message in the update manager was too tempting.

eltonw
May 2nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
I downloaded the patch that EltonW mentioned, and intalled it, then robooted. I still have the wireless networks disconnected. I am dead in the water. Does anybody have any other ideas?

@ brian long
@ randolf_ambrose

Ricardo Salvetri's patched kernel fixes the wifi problems for many of the netbook users like myself (my Asus uses the RaLink card).

I can only suggest two things:
1) Look in the Networking and Wireless forum, particularly this sticky: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885847
OR
2) Revert the kernel to the one from Karmic Kola. (or pre 2.6.32).
If this is of any help to you the most recent kernels are HERE:http://kernel.org/

HTH...