PDA

View Full Version : I met a stange one...

kevin11951
April 30th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I went to a small business computer store today, and struck up a conversation with the man who owns the store... We were talking about random computer stuff, and then we came upon the subject of web browsers.

I told him that my preference was Firefox, and he said he didn't really like it. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he liked Chrome, or Opera... Nope, his favorite web browser (and the one he makes sure are on all costumer computers) is Internet Explorer... Really? How can anyone prefer IE over Opera, Chrome, or Firefox...?

And when I say prefers it, I don't mean because of Windows updates or something like that, he prefers the features of IE.

I don't think I want to go to that store anymore.

samalex
April 30th, 2010, 04:19 PM
By saying he prefers the features of IE I wonder if it's more a comfort thing. Some people stick with Windows or even inefficient applications/processes because it's within their comfort zone and they've just always done it that way. I'd like to think someone working in a computer shop is more versatile than the average non-techie computer user and willing to branch out more, but who knows.

Problem though is people who like something because it's comfortable are likely never to be swayed away from it, even when proven that there's a better and more efficient option. So this might just call into the "to each his own" category.

Take care --

Sam

Gone fishing
April 30th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Easy

his users use IE (probably IE 6) their computers get virus, malware etc etc etc.

He then charges them R500 per hour (convert the currency if you like)to remove viruses etc. Obviously he likes IE and he probably think Windows XP is best too.

Giant Speck
April 30th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I don't really see what the problem is.

Just because you don't like Internet Explorer doesn't mean his preference is wrong.

sataris
April 30th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Before I got into computers, I had no clue what a "firefox" was. About 3 years ago I learned that there were more reliable options out there than internet explorer. Had I not taken the time to make myself use the alts, I would likely not be where I am now with computers, nor would I be posting on a Linux forum.

All said, ignorance is bliss. If he doesnt want to learn, or change his opinion, then he thinks what works for him is the best. More goodness for me.

Bachstelze
April 30th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Oh, look, it's this thread again... "Anyone who doesn't like the same things as I do is stupid/illiterate."

TheNessus
April 30th, 2010, 07:10 PM
He's a store manager, his preferences have nothing to do with the customers and you.

sudoer541
April 30th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I went to a small business computer store today, and struck up a conversation with the man who owns the store... We were talking about random computer stuff, and then we came upon the subject of web browsers.

I told him that my preference was Firefox, and he said he didn't really like it. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he liked Chrome, or Opera... Nope, his favorite web browser (and the one he makes sure are on all costumer computers) is Internet Explorer... Really? How can anyone prefer IE over Opera, Chrome, or Firefox...?

And when I say prefers it, I don't mean because of Windows updates or something like that, he prefers the features of IE.

Just because a ignorant employee recommended something that does not work, you cant blame the store. Again people make their own choices and we cant force them to change the way they are used to.

plus IE sucks terribly!!! but again...

sudoer541
April 30th, 2010, 07:11 PM
oh, look, it's this thread again... "anyone who doesn't like the same things as i do is stupid/illiterate."

+1

doas777
April 30th, 2010, 07:13 PM
when firefox was new, and i was still a die hard windows guy, I preferred IE, because it had configurable features. initially firefox had like 4 configuration options. obviously I have changed my opinion significantly in the years since.

sunk8
April 30th, 2010, 07:17 PM
IE isn't bad. Especially their latest version.
And most companies make their sites according to IE specs.

Not strange to me in India. Half the local pages here give trouble outside IE. Even my ISP page doesn't load well in firefox.
maybe that's y he likes IE.

sudoer541
April 30th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Easy

his users use IE (probably IE 6) their computers get virus, malware etc etc etc.

He then charges them R500 per hour (convert the currency if you like)to remove viruses etc. Obviously he likes IE and he probably think Windows XP is best too.

Absolutely!!! My bro does this all the time (IE6, Windows firewall instead of a real firewall, he corrupts some system files through manage tasks option etc, and other evil stuff)
He does that so that his customers would come to him every six months and get $ from them!!!.

btw
my lovely moddzzz, could you please merge this and other posts that I posted...I kinda forgot how to multiquote...I love you!!!:P

RiceMonster
April 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I don't really see what the problem is.

Just because you don't like Internet Explorer doesn't mean his preference is wrong.

/thread

c00lwaterz
April 30th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I like firefox and chrome. But I started with IE. Maybe it's his own personal preference. we are free to choose whatever we want. we don't want to be dictated. Just give him new idea and give him new preference. But don't expect him to changed it for you. He is store manager, as long as people can use the internet, then he not need to have a problem. maybe a suggestion is good but don't force him. we are humans, we are not animals hahaha

Random_Dude
April 30th, 2010, 07:25 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/perspective.png

oldsoundguy
April 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Slightly out of the range of the store manager's reasoning, but had a lady friend that brought her computer over for me to set up some added protection (malware/spyware/etc) for her. Machine was running OK. Suggested, that for safety reasons she might consider Firefox because of the added plug ins .. (APB/NoScript and such).
I showed her the FF on my computer, but she said no.
Asking why, she said :
"it doesn't go to the same internet as mine"
Pressing on, it seems that her MS home page was interpreted as THE INTERNET.
All kinds of reasons people still use IE .. not all of those reasons make sense.

So cut some slack.

Latest figures have IE with under 50% usage anyway as it continues its downward slide. (FF, Chrome, Opera, Safari, Konqurer combine for over 50% now .. and those are figures from a conservative site.)

98cwitr
April 30th, 2010, 07:57 PM

maybe you should have just asked him to justify his reasoning.

ve4cib
April 30th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I can one-up that one. I was talking to a guy (on a message board -- never met him in person, but I don't think he was a troll) who was expounding on why his favourite browser was IE6. Not just IE (which one might assume to mean IE8, which is a decent-enough browser).

His reasoning was that he never uses tabs (and generally hates the idea of tabs -- he'd rather open multiple windows). Therefore IE7+, FF, Opera, Chrome, etc... all include extra bloat (tabs) he'll never use.

98cwitr
April 30th, 2010, 08:28 PM
why not just use netscape :rotflmao: