PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No amarok or rhythmbox notification area icons after upgrade to Lucid

bolucpap
April 30th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hi, completed the first of my five pending Lucid upgrades a few hours ago, the upgrade progress went real smooth.
So, I have been checking various apps to make sure they are working ok after the upgrade, and noticed that Amarok will not show its notification (tray) icon in the usual place after the upgrade. This is a pain because normally one would launch Amarok, select a playlist/album whatever, than close the window and skip tracks whatever using the tray icon. Did a bit of googling and found a bug in launchpad it's because Amarok draws a custom icon instead of passing a bitmap, or something, but cannot locate the bug again now. I then tested Rhythmbox and found the same issue. Are there any workarounds? Did anybody else notice it's not limited to Amarok?

Rigrig
May 1st, 2010, 09:03 PM
Rhythmbox no longer puts an icon in the Notification Area, instead it adds itself to the Indicator Applet.
You might need to add the Indicator Applet to your panel:
right-click on an empty space in the panel, select 'Add to panel...', and drag the Indicator Applet to your panel.

JustinRez
May 6th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Wow, I see that you're correct. This is extremely disappointing. I understand the direction they're moving in with this Indicator app but it's nowhere near being as useful as it needs to be... I also miss being able to bring up RythmBox with a single click. I mean... at least make "Show Rythmbox" the first item at the top...

In general, the indicator app is a waste of space. The icons are spaced too far apart and the "messages" menu is useless for me... and I use Gwibber and Pidgin, so you would think it would be useful, but it essentially does what the MeMenu does/should do (and all the other things the MeMenu should be doing is an issue for another post...)

HotDrive
May 7th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Isn't there a way to make the icons appear in the Notification Area again? I've managed to put the volume icon there, setting the "gnome-volume-control-applet" as a start application, but all the rest failed...
Quite annoying these changes...

stats
June 3rd, 2010, 11:18 AM
I removed the indicator-applet, added the notification area applet, and pidgin, amarok and gnome-volume-control-applet use that fine. Functionality has gone back to how it was in jaunty (meaning it's actually functional with left-click show/hide, instead of the newer system which is 'consistently' useless)

Eladon
June 10th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I noticed this, and also that whenever I was listening to Internet radio in Rhythmbox it used to pop up a box near to the notification area, telling me what the next song was. I loved that, now it's gone. Is this also because they are using the indicator applet? :(

[Never mind, I think my install was messed up from upgrading to Lucid, cuz I removed & reinstalled Rhythmbox, and this was OK again]

tamashumi
July 2nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
Yea I removed indicator applet by purpose.
It sucks a lot but I want to still use Rhythmbox.

I found an applet called music-applet.
It's not the same as simple "tray" icon like in notification-applet but for now I'll stay with it.
Maybe you;ll find it useful too.

sudo-apt get install music-applet
Then add to panel and set preferences.

nk8215
July 6th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Yea I removed indicator applet by purpose.
It sucks a lot but I want to still use Rhythmbox.

I found an applet called music-applet.
It's not the same as simple "tray" icon like in notification-applet but for now I'll stay with it.
Maybe you;ll find it useful too.

sudo-apt get install music-appletThen add to panel and set preferences.

Oops, an error occurred ;) The correct form would be
sudo apt-get install music-applet :)

tamashumi
August 20th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Sorry my mistake ;)

DarkBattM14
September 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM
hmmm... nice... and there are more options for several players... THNX!! ):P

marmux
January 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Take a look here. It explains how to restore the old behavior

http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9788973&postcount=6