PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 server display issue

Malcrow
April 30th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I just did a fresh install of 10.04 and when the system boots I get a bunch of lines on the display and then it goes blank.

I never see grub come up or ubuntu.

Please Help me out.

ghost_ryder35
April 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I just did a fresh install of 10.04 and when the system boots I get a bunch of lines on the display and then it goes blank.

I never see grub come up or ubuntu.

Please Help me out.
can you see the bios? if so most likely not hardware, try hitting "ESC" as soon as the bios disappears to try and get into grub.

Malcrow
April 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Yes I can see the bios.

I also tried using escape,

ghost_ryder35
April 30th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Yes I can see the bios.

I also tried using escape,
i'd boot off of the CD and change grub so it disables graphical boot thingy ( i know that is not a technical term).

You will have to mount your drives and chroot to them before running the below commands.

foo@ubuntu:~$ sudo vi /etc/default/grub

Comment out GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

Comment out GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 to unhide Grub menu

#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0

Save file and run update-grub

foo@ubuntu:~$ sudo update-grub

Then reboot and see if that fixes it. I would expect you will be able to see at least Grub now.

Malcrow
April 30th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I booted from the cd and chose rescue a broken system.

When the menue for that came up they are off by 180 degrees.

It is like the center of the screen has been moved to the far edge.

ghost_ryder35
April 30th, 2010, 04:45 PM
you should be able to adjust that via your monitors controls

Malcrow
April 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM
You would think....

but when I try the whole image moves left or right.

ghost_ryder35
April 30th, 2010, 04:54 PM
maybe try reseting the monitor? by unplugging the power

arrrghhh
April 30th, 2010, 04:54 PM
There may also be an "auto-adjust" on the monitor, depending on the make/model. Try that as well, if available...

Malcrow
April 30th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Already tried that.....

It does however say install ubuntu enterprise cloud.

Maybe I should try that.

ghost_ryder35
April 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Already tried that.....

It does however say install ubuntu enterprise cloud.

Maybe I should try that.
I thought Ubuntu was already installed?

Malcrow
April 30th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I am doing a new install.

I have been playing with several distros just to see what they are like.... gentoo, opensuse.

In the end I decided ubuntu is easier and I like the support people like yourself offer.

Anyhow... I think it has to do with the video driver. Every so often I can see words that look like it is going to load but the picture on the screen is messed up.... almost like when the refresh rate is too high.

I did try load ubuntu desktop but that didn't work. This computer is an old server with dual AMD opterons(I think that is how it is spelled).

elarrarte
April 30th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I cant understand this move of Ubuntu in the server edition ... I m not gonna open a new debate here ... but I cant accept a server with a graphical terminal (framebuffer?).

When the boot menu of the installation CD appears, press F6, select "nomodeset" option and then in the prompt write "fb=false" before de the "--" ... to look like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx quiet fb=false --

Then read my other thread "pure text console on the server"

Malcrow
May 2nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
I tried this and it still does not work.

I do know this server has very little video memory. I have never been able to get a linux gui running on this computer. Funny thing is I actually did get windows server 2008 to work on it.

Unless you have any suggestions I think I will start looking for a different distro to use for my server.

I want to run linux rather than my win2008 for obvious reasons.

Foeburner
May 3rd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Try this thread. Found it while searching for a similar issue. It's fixed your problem... tho not mines =*(

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1463294&page=2