PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] lost ability to boot ubuntu after automatic upgrade.

mokelly1
April 30th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I have been using Wubi for a couple of months. I was not aware it was just for testing. I did a couple of automatic upgrades without any problem. I did an upgrade yesterday which required a reboot and I lost my ability to boot to ubuntu.

I come to the screen to choose between windows 7 and ubuntu. I choose ubuntu and I come to a black screen that has a prompt, grub>

I followed several threads about restoring grub and found one that told how to mount root.disk so I was able to copy my home directory. I mounted it at /media/ub I tried to restore grub by typing:
sudo grub-setup -d /media/ub/boot/grub -m /media/ub/boot/grub/device.map /dev/sda ... got a message "cannot stat grub boot.img". It is apparently looking for boot.img in the /boot/grub directory.

I cannot find a copy of boot.img on any of my install or rescue cd's.

I would like to boot up the old Wubi to save everything before I install a new Ubuntu with its own partitions.

Thanks for your help.

kansasnoob
April 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM
It sounds like you were bitten by this bug:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:Wubi_9.10

mokelly1
April 30th, 2010, 06:10 PM
That worked. Thank you!