PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04 LTS 64 bit

egrpioneer
April 30th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Tried last night to install on 2, HDD PC w/4GB ram. XP for wife on one (1) HDD. Ubuntu 10.04 current beta 2 (grub 1.98), 32 bit running on the 2nd HDD. It ran perfectly well! Install of 10.04 LTS 64 bit on HDD 2, results in grub rescue prompt.

Please advise solution, and thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

eotakos
April 30th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Maybe try using more simple expressions next time... :( It will help you get more responses...

(read the whole thing before taking action :-))
If I understood correctly you have 1 pc with 2 hdds... the first hdd has the beta version (32bit), and now you tried to install the release version (64bit) on the second hdd???

if I guessed correctly, and since I am not familiar with twicking grub2 yet, (still using grub on the pc I use the most), I would suggest reinstalling grub2 (with livecd).

Here I' ve pasted 2 links, the first is from the official support page of grub2, the second is from a forum post.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20from%20LiveCD

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1460781&highlight=reinstall+grub

I hope you can find some use in my message -

good luck with your issue

note: Please do know that I don't support the "if it doesn't work reinstall it" way, but in this case I don't know much about grub2. Generally, the command "update-grub" makes grub2 search for new operating systems and form a new-context menu, and remake your grub2. This is what you want! But in this case, you have to do this from the live-cd, which i don't know how it's done :-|

egrpioneer
April 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Maybe try using more simple expressions next time... :( It will help you get more responses...

(read the whole thing before taking action :-))
If I understood correctly you have 1 pc with 2 hdds... the first hdd has the beta version (32bit), and now you tried to install the release version (64bit) on the second hdd???

if I guessed correctly, and since I am not familiar with twicking grub2 yet, (still using grub on the pc I use the most), I would suggest reinstalling grub2 (with livecd).

Here I' ve pasted 2 links, the first is from the official support page of grub2, the second is from a forum post.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20from%20LiveCD

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1460781&highlight=reinstall+grub

I hope you can find some use in my message -

good luck with your issue

note: Please do know that I don't support the "if it doesn't work reinstall it" way, but in this case I don't know much about grub2. Generally, the command "update-grub" makes grub2 search for new operating systems and form a new-context menu, and remake your grub2. This is what you want! But in this case, you have to do this from the live-cd, which i don't know how it's done :-|

I'm sorry for making matters worse with a confusing post. I'll try again.

HDD 1, runs XP. HDD 2, was OK with 10.04 beta 32 bit and grub 1.98. Tried to install 10.04 LTS 64 bit on HDD 2. After getting grub rescue prompt, I ran FIXMBR on HDD 1, so I could at least boot the PC into XP.

Thank you in advance for your support!!

eotakos
April 30th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Ok, the case is a little bit different of what I thought in the first place, but if you choose to reinstall grub in order to gain access to Ubuntu, the same information, I gave you before, apply.

To make this clear, in general, when you read in an article about grub2, they mean all grubs v1.96+ : grub_1.97 (came with ubuntu 9.10) and grub_1.98 ( the one you have installed along with ubuntu 10.04). So practically, you used to boot with grub2.

if you reinstall it as described at the posts I gave you, it should do the trick... (unless you find a way to do the "update-grub" from the liveCD -I am afraid I can not help you with that). - remember to use the liveCD of the currently installed version of Ubuntu.

now that I said livecd... did you perform the "cd integrity check" before the latest installation you performed?? you never know.. maybe you are fighting over corrupted bites (no one can beat that! :-) )

I hope this helps somehow...

egrpioneer
May 1st, 2010, 12:40 PM
Ok, the case is a little bit different of what I thought in the first place, but if you choose to reinstall grub in order to gain access to Ubuntu, the same information, I gave you before, apply.

To make this clear, in general, when you read in an article about grub2, they mean all grubs v1.96+ : grub_1.97 (came with ubuntu 9.10) and grub_1.98 ( the one you have installed along with ubuntu 10.04). So practically, you used to boot with grub2.

if you reinstall it as described at the posts I gave you, it should do the trick... (unless you find a way to do the "update-grub" from the liveCD -I am afraid I can not help you with that). - remember to use the liveCD of the currently installed version of Ubuntu.

now that I said livecd... did you perform the "cd integrity check" before the latest installation you performed?? you never know.. maybe you are fighting over corrupted bites (no one can beat that! :-) )

I hope this helps somehow...

Thanks for spending your time helping me sort through this situation. The solution, however, turned out to be as easy as changing a bios setting.
It was changed so that the HDD with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS was given priority over HDD with XP. Once the change was made, the Grub menu appeared as expected, and can now select Ubuntu, or XP. Life is good! Hope you have a good day!!!

eotakos
May 1st, 2010, 01:04 PM
It's good to hear you sorted it out!

remember to mark this thread as solved :-)

enjoy your fresh installation,

chears

madmetal
May 1st, 2010, 01:08 PM
Are you able to log into both Ubuntu 32bit and 64bit?

eotakos
May 2nd, 2010, 12:09 PM
Of what I understood, egrpioneer most probably replaced the previous 32bit install with the 64bit one.

What I find odd about this case is that the previous installation, managed to put grub on the mbr of the other hdd (the one with the xp on) and work, while the newer installation didn't manage to do the same (at least successfully).

Ofcourse it is easier, more practical (and therefore more likely to work) to have brub installed on the same hdd with Ubuntu and have the system boot this hdd first... I'm just saying :)

egrpioneer
May 2nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
It's good to hear you sorted it out!

remember to mark this thread as solved :-)

enjoy your fresh installation,

chears

I am very impressed with 10.04 LTS 64 bit, and the "labor of love" that went into its development and final release Thanks to you too!!!