PDA

View Full Version : This is my OS!! Ubuntu 10.04

nuwave
April 30th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Wow! I expected something great but instead I got something amazing. I am so happy with 10.04! Anyone else super duper excited and happy with the end results??:guitar:

joenewtzie
April 30th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Wow! I expected something great but instead I got something amazing. I am so happy with 10.04! Anyone else super duper excited and happy with the end results??:guitar:

I really like it so far, its an awesome switch from Windows 7!

WinterRain
April 30th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Lucid Lynx was my idea!

BrokenKingpin
April 30th, 2010, 02:40 PM
It is working great for me thus far!

LinuxFox
April 30th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I wasn't going to upgrade right away, but after some thinking I wanted to start fresh. So far I'm really enjoying it, even though the repositories are slow, but I have a feeling it's just the traffic on them at the moment (I'm just taking a guess at this).

Previously I used Ubuntu 8.04, and loved it. Hopefully I'll enjoy this version just as much. 8)

gemmakaru
April 30th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Had it up and running for about five minutes now and it seems to be working ok. I took the upgrade route and its kept all my settings which is really great. Time to update my profile!

Sporkman
April 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Lucid Lynx was my idea!

Nice. :)

RedMaster
April 30th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Yeah! 10.04 Lucid Lynx is really nice and I'm enjoying it too... Nothing serious appeared up to now :) I made a clean install both on my netbook and my PC yesterday minutes after it was out! ^^
It took 6 mins and 48 secs to install on my PC and boots for ~20 secs... On my netbook - Acer Aspire One 150L with 1.8" Toshiba 30GB hard drive - install ~10-15 mins and boots ~30-35 secs :)

I love Ubuntu! I'm on it since version 9.04... And I don't use Windows... :P

sudoer541
April 30th, 2010, 03:21 PM
hey people!!! are your ipods/iphones syncing with 10.04 yet?
I havent installed 10.04 yet, so idk.
anyone tested their ipods/iphonez?
btw could you post a youtube video showing how ubuntu syncs iphones?
PLEAZEEEEE!!!!:D
Thanks people!!!!!:)

LinuxFox
April 30th, 2010, 03:31 PM
As for iPods, I use my Nano on my Windows Vista partition, but I have a Shuffle 2G I play around with. 10.04 read my Shuffle and it appeared on desktop, but I didn't try syncing with it.

On the other hand, I did add music to my battery powered digital audio player using 10.04. Then again, it pretty much was detected as a USB flash drive and all I needed to do was drag and drop music to it via the file browser.

I'm glad 10.04 works with my battery powered player. 8)

TBABill
April 30th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I actually stopped using Ubuntu with all the speed issues with Flash on 9.10. But with the newer Flash versions things have improved. On 10.04 my machine is as fast as on PCLinuxOS, which is really fast for me even with KDE, but I get a lot more responsiveness from the Ubuntu community when I need help so I reinstalled with 10.04 and love it so far. Only one issue so far and it's not unique to Ubuntu at all. I just need the time to follow the fix instructions.

Loving it so far and it does look more polished...just trying to stop going to the upper right to close a window :)

gemmakaru
April 30th, 2010, 04:17 PM
My buttons have all moved to the right again, no idea why, they were on the left when I booted. Never mind.

Foster Grant
April 30th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I updated via Update Manager last night (that way I didn't have to find and reload my WiFi driver by hand; the installer took the one that's already here and installed it automagically).

I'm very pleased. The one problem 9.10 introduced on my laptop -- it would no longer suspend or hibernate, and I believe that was due to the switch from HAL to DeviceKit -- is gone. Close the lid and the laptop sleeps.

Ksplice did call for an immediate kernel fix right after I rebooted into Lucid last night, however. I'd expect a patched kernel to come through the Ubuntu Update Manager by the end of the weekend.

(Have I publicly thanked whoever footed the bill to make Ksplice available for free via the repositories to all Ubuntu desktop users from 9.04 forward? No? Ah ... well, a big and hearty THANK YOU!!! to whoever did that. One hundred percent awesome.)

I like the new themes, too. They fairly scream, "This is NOT a Windows PC!" to the world. Now all we have to do is get a properly-themed OpenOffice.org quickstart icon in the notification area. It has its own background shading that doesn't match up. The rest of the notification area icons are much more visible than the last batch.

Best Ubuntu yet, and I was pretty pleased with the last one.

leonhook
April 30th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I'm A PC because i ditched windows!!!

motang
April 30th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Well at work since I am forced (to some extent) use Win 7 (which BTW is pretty good), I do miss Ubuntu, and yes I am very pleased with Ubuntu 10.04 and it has thus far been the best release. On my new notebook everything works, from hibernate to suspend (which was and still is a problem on my old HP notebook). I love using Ubuntu 10.04 and I love that it's my primary OS.

NMFTM
April 30th, 2010, 05:30 PM
So far 10.04 is a very boring OS, which is the way it's supposted to be.

JakeLawrence
April 30th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I'm currently going through the distribution upgrade! I hope it works as well as it did for you.

Also, anyone think that "This Is My OS" should be the new Ubuntu slogan? :)

98cwitr
April 30th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Lucid Lynx was my idea!

lmao

barney385
April 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I can't believe how fast it loads.

:smile:

Linye
April 30th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I want to upgrade but since I started using ubuntu less than a month ago I have question about upgrading.

Will all the application be there after I upgrade? Including the drivers for my wireless card that work so damn hard to get it working?

Foster Grant
April 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I want to upgrade but since I started using ubuntu less than a month ago I have question about upgrading.

Will all the application be there after I upgrade? Including the drivers for my wireless card that work so damn hard to get it working?

That's why I used the Update Manager to upgrade rather than via a CD -- upgrade manager installs your WiFi drivers into the kernel as part of the upgrade process.

And yes, all your applications will still be there.

ssj6akshat
April 30th, 2010, 08:32 PM
"I am a human but,yeah Ubuntu was probably Shuttleworth's Idea"

JakeLawrence
May 1st, 2010, 02:28 AM

Everything should be there if you go through with the internal upgrade (System -> Administration -> Update Manager). It took me 2 hours to download and afterward everything was exactly the same, even the tabs on my closed Firefox session.

Brindled
May 1st, 2010, 03:12 AM
i have a question(s) for those that have upgraded that are more gui oriented. have any settings, graphical or otherwise, been changed, or does it only upgrade the core and files that are irrelevant to the way one has it customized?

for example, does AWN, and the themes installed stay the same, or do these need to be updated/reapplied?

thanks in advance. :0)

nuwave
May 1st, 2010, 04:09 AM
I'm currently going through the distribution upgrade! I hope it works as well as it did for you.

Also, anyone think that "This Is My OS" should be the new Ubuntu slogan? :)

thats an awesome idea!!:guitar:

witeshark17
May 1st, 2010, 04:10 AM
Lucid Lynx was my idea! That's a good one! Can you make a video of it in French? :lolflag:

Khakilang
May 1st, 2010, 04:46 AM
After 8 hours of downloading the upgrade and 2 hours of installation and cleaning. I finally get to see Lucid Lynx this morning. Its amazing piece of work. All my software are intact and its working. Many thanks to the Developer who have put so much effort in creating such a great OS.

Hman242
May 1st, 2010, 05:45 AM
That's a good one! Can you make a video of it in French? :lolflag:
Bleh, don't remind me of those terrible Windows commercials. When I use Windows I want to ask those actors if it was their idea for everything to stop responding every five seconds.

Rodney9
May 1st, 2010, 06:14 AM
I love the Lynx, it's so fast , starting up and shutting down.
It looks so good after afew additions, I used -

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu.html