PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where are .nautilus/metafiles in lucid (how to backup nautilus' emblem-assignment)

produnis
April 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Hi folks,

I would like to backup my files and folders. This is very easy - but just copying the files to another HD loses all the emblems I attached to files/folder with nautilus.

So, I would like to backup/restore not only my data, but additionally the emblems I assigned to them in nautilus

At least in Jaunty, there was a xml-file in ~/.nautilus/metafiles/
that contains all emblem-assignments I did with nautilus. So restoring this folder brought back all my emblems

In Lucid (and in Karmic), this folder is empty.

Does anyone know where nautilus stores these information now?

I read somewhere in the internet, that the new folder is
~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata

But that does not seem to be true.
I assigned a emblem to a new folder, but there are no changes in ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata and subfolders
So...
I still stuck with my question....

produnis
May 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM
bump

Solid One
May 31st, 2010, 01:28 PM
probably here:

~/.gconf/apps/nautilus/desktop-metadata

morrigu76
July 11th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I can't find where the metadata on emblems is stored either. Emblems, without the possibility to back them up when doing a fresh install, seem pretty useless to me.
Any suggestions?

libssd
July 11th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I suspect that I have run into another symptom of the same basic question.

See thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1528520

I use Remastersys to create restorable system backups, and I'm 99% certain that emblems are preserved, but that doesn't do you any good with a fresh install.

morrigu76
July 11th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Actually I didn't want to backup the emblem-images themselves, but the information on which folders/files have emblems "attached" to them.
It seems the other thread is just about restoring a certain set of emblems, but doesn't mention where the data on emblem-assignment is stored.

bn127
September 5th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I don't know about the emblems matter but the images I've assigned to my folders (Pictures and Music folders) are kept at ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata. Backing this folder up and overwriting the same name's folder of a new system install I can re-gain the previous Pictures and Music folders' look.
I hope this can help you.

isync
December 1st, 2010, 07:11 PM
Let's revive this thread:

Can anyone tell where Nautilus on 10.04 and up stores the data for which emblems are assigned to files?? As said on this thread, the mentioned dirs don't carry that information...

I did a bit of digging in the source-code without luck, still this thread (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gvfs-list/2008-July/msg00011.html) indicates emblems are now read from a common API exposed by GNOME to all applications, one user being Nautilus. So, where does GNOME commonly store the emblem metadata??

isync
December 2nd, 2010, 10:42 PM
Anyone know this??

hellork
December 12th, 2010, 06:36 AM
On fedora, harvesting the file
~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/home
brought about the miraculous bestowal of notes upon my desktop.
May its blessings extend to you this holiday season and to the emblems themselves, but... loggest thou out to witness the manefestation thereof...

HendyIrawan
May 27th, 2011, 04:43 AM
On fedora, harvesting the file
~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/home
brought about the miraculous bestowal of notes upon my desktop.
May its blessings extend to you this holiday season and to the emblems themselves, but... loggest thou out to witness the manefestation thereof...

Thank you............!!! :popcorn: