PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Latitude CP: Can't install!

WinCamXP
April 30th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Listen. I pulled out my old Dell Latitude CP laptop from under my bed (I haven't seen it in years!) and the idea occured...Since I was being stupid and upgraded it from Win98 to WinXP when the laptop thought the modem was some other device, I couldn't activate it and now it's always nagging for me to activate.

However, if I installed Ubuntu on it, I wouldn't have that problem!

I grabbed a DVD-R for use with Infra Recorder on a more recent HP laptop running Vista. Hm, had a glitch there and it didn't work out, it froze at 100% and never ejected the DVD and I had to put a paperclip in the hole to get it out after cancelling the write, which said 100% but didn't do anything from there (mysteriously, it was still responding). So then I grabbed a blank CD-RW and burning the ISO had no problem. But now, when I boot up the laptop with the CD in, it's a black screen with a blinking cursor and the CD spins but nothing else happens. Otherwise, it boots straight to the problematic XP.

I think I need to crash the hard drive, but how do I do that? I had tp change some settings (when pressing F2 at bootup) and now that start-up screen doesn't even show up anymore.

So, what should I do? I do not know how to crash the hard drive, would I need to find a new one or can you help me crash it/install Ubuntu?