PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help! No Keyboard on login after upgrade to 10.04

mafia910
April 30th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I just upgraded to 10.04 from 9.04 and I cannot log in to the machine. I tried launching the on-screen keyboard but it just flashes and disappears. Anyone else having this issue?

I also tried attaching a different USB keyboard, but that didn't work either. Any help would be appreciated.

pavera
April 30th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Same issue. Ubuntu running in vmware fusion. After upgrade from 9.10 keyboard does not work at the login screen.

Also attempted a clean new install, same problem no keyboard at the login screen...

aglc2005
April 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Same problem for me. PS/2 keyboard works great, but any USB HID device does not.

Mike Beatty
April 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Same here. :(
I did a fresh install of 10.04 in VMWare Player on Windows 7 host.
Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

auximage
April 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I have this same problem. Running in VMWare. Was only able to log in after using the on screen keyboard. Is there a fix out there for this problem? Seems kind of silly to upgrade and be expected to not have use of a keyboard.. /c:

As far as using the on screen keyboard. I had to select it and restart the machine a couple times before it remained on screen and I was able to use it.

auximage
April 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Now that I've logged in, the keyboard works as normal. Just thought that I would update that. I will try rebooting to see if continues to be disabled on the login screen.

EDIT: Upon reboot, keyboard still does not work on the login screen. This is kinda a major bug I would think..

gregwa
April 30th, 2010, 05:07 PM
same issue with 9.04 daily upgrade (NOT upgrade to 10.04). Get login screen, once you log in, screen blinks, and asks you to log in. Onscreen keyboard has same issue. Can't log in at all

Kubuntu 9.10 is apparently having similar issues.

NoBugs!
April 30th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Did you try booting 2.6.31 or another kernel other than 2.6.32? You can choose at the boot screen, by pressing down-arrow and choosing the older kernel. If 2.6.32 is the only kernel that doesn't recognize the keyboard, that is probably this bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/571528).

jonathanhayward
May 1st, 2010, 01:44 AM
Maybe Ubuntu needs to emulate an old feature in DOS...

"Keyboard failure error. Hit ESCAPE to abort, or RETURN to continue."

aglc2005
May 1st, 2010, 04:00 AM
Did you try booting 2.6.31 or another kernel other than 2.6.32? You can choose at the boot screen, by pressing down-arrow and choosing the older kernel. If 2.6.32 is the only kernel that doesn't recognize the keyboard, that is probably this bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/571528).

When I have access to my machine again I will have to give this a try and will let you know the results. That is very interesting.

Monkbel
May 1st, 2010, 09:16 AM
The same problem is for me and also here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1466442

This bug basically renders 10.04 unusable for many. It's unexpected that LTS could have been shipped with such significant bug :).

The workaround that works for me is "virtual keyboard", that you can turn on from accessibility menu in bottom-right.

kermiac
May 1st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Seems like it might be this bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/548891

The workaround until this goes through the SRU process is to run the following command in your virtual machine
sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

Please don't comment on the bug report as it has all of the information required to fix this. This is a "known issue" & is currently going through the normal SRU process to be released to lucid updates. If you are experiencing this issue you can click on the "affects me too" button at the top of the bug report.

jeffb503
May 1st, 2010, 04:46 PM
i up graded under vmworks/osx and had the same problem. i found the answer here:

http://reformedmusings.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/keyboard-issues-with-ubuntu-lucid-10-04-and-vmware-workstation-7-0/

i did what was suggested and now the keyboard works. one issue was i didn't have the shut down icon (to select console input) so i had to use the ubuntu on screen keyboard to log in - i got to it by selecting the universal access icon at the bottom; selected the on screen keyboard option; and rebooted ubuntu; the onscreen keyboard then appeared letting me log in and do the above fix.

-jeff

oldfred
May 1st, 2010, 05:30 PM
I had this problem a year ago when I put a new motherboard in. It is BIOS settings. I was quickly swapping USB & ps/2 keyboard as the ps/2 worked for booting. There is a BIOS setting for USB keyboards that you need to change.

can_surmeli
May 2nd, 2010, 02:02 PM
Yeap. Exactly the same problem here.

I made my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installation via Vmware Fusion on my Mac.

i up graded under vmworks/osx and had the same problem. i found the answer here:

http://reformedmusings.wordpress.com...rkstation-7-0/ (http://reformedmusings.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/keyboard-issues-with-ubuntu-lucid-10-04-and-vmware-workstation-7-0/)

i did what was suggested and now the keyboard works. one issue was i didn't have the shut down icon (to select console input) so i had to use the ubuntu on screen keyboard to log in - i got to it by selecting the universal access icon at the bottom; selected the on screen keyboard option; and rebooted ubuntu; the onscreen keyboard then appeared letting me log in and do the above fix.

-jeff

I haven't tried the solution above but enabling the virtual keyboard and then after a reboot I typed in my password via the virtual keyboard so I was successful with the login process after some time with hassle.

The funny thing though is that my keyboard started working just fine when the system started. So that I'm not sure if this is a problem with Vmware Fusion or Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

cheekybean
May 2nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Same problem here with Dell Inspiron 6400 using Distribution upgrade option on Xubuntu.

Keyboard totally non functional.

Makes the distribution useless for me for now. Had to revert to USB live distro until this is fixed by an update.

sarit431
May 2nd, 2010, 10:24 PM

er, it is a little hard to type the down arrow with no keyboard. I too have no keyboard at login screen after updating from 9.10. I am running Ubuntu in VMware under Win. 7. Once logged in using the onscreen keyboard my keyboard comes alive wonderfully.

Meghnaad
May 3rd, 2010, 06:45 AM
After a Lot of Google and My Friends (Dawood) Help I was Able to Solve the Problem.
I've Mentioned steps on Following Link

http://blog.ichinmay.com/2010/05/03/ubuntu-10-04-upgrade-from-9-10-usb-keyboard-mouse-problem/

Let me know if it helps you too

jstalnak
May 3rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
@Meghnaad -- Alas, my xorg log files shows that the config/udev never does load the keyboard/mouse! I made your suggested changes based on the pre-Lucid xorg log file, but that has made no difference. I can see from the present log file that the entries I added in the 05-evdev.conf file are being read (I actually see entries in the emulation set up section of the xorg log file that show the Identifiers of the entries I added, but I still have no keyboard or mouse.

What is interesting is that I can ssh into the box, run x11vnc, and then vnc in and I DO have mouse and keyboard.

Zapboy
May 3rd, 2010, 06:31 PM
I had the same issue (both in Karmic and Lucid). I added noapic and noapci to the grub.cfg and my keyboard and mouse came alive on reboot. Since I am on a multiboot system, I just "e" to configure my boot options.

Just my two bits...

jstalnak
May 3rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
noapci noapic ineffective for me, still no keyboard mouse once login screen reached. Keyboard DOES work up to that point (can edit grub, etc.) but once X loads, they're both dead. And, interestingly, I can ssh into the box and run x11vnc, and then vnc into the box and I do have keyboard and mouse, but the keyboard shift key is not recognized. It is X, I've swapped keyboards and the problem remains.

Anyone know how to force a reinstall of the part of Ubuntu/X that's responsible for reporting hardware? Is that udev?

Meghnaad
May 4th, 2010, 10:46 AM
@Meghnaad -- Alas, my xorg log files shows that the config/udev never does load the keyboard/mouse! I made your suggested changes based on the pre-Lucid xorg log file, but that has made no difference. I can see from the present log file that the entries I added in the 05-evdev.conf file are being read (I actually see entries in the emulation set up section of the xorg log file that show the Identifiers of the entries I added, but I still have no keyboard or mouse.

What is interesting is that I can ssh into the box, run x11vnc, and then vnc in and I DO have mouse and keyboard.

Can you paste output of commands you executed ?
and contents of 05-evdev.conf ?

cgp1024
May 13th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I also had this problem, but for me, it turned out to be the xorg kbd_drv.so driver that couldn't be loaded. I had a custom xorg.conf....

After booting in recovery mode (holding shift during boot), and removing /etc/X11/xorg.conf, they keyboard works again.

k_traxler
June 21st, 2010, 07:38 PM
Today I updated my Ubuntu 10.04. The keyboard problem is FINALLY fixed!!! :roll:

Krzysztow
October 5th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Just a hint, since this happened to me.

I'm using Ubuntu for quite some time and recently it happened the same as described before - I could login with keyboard, but it didn't work afterwards. I was looking for help on that and other forums and trying some possible solutions it occured that keyboard works but with a very long lasting pushes. I mean, I had to keep the button down for around 10 secs to get the character on the screen.

Having noticed that, I went to System->Preferences->Keyboard and there to Accesibility tab and unchecked "Only accept long keypresses". And now it works. Seems very easy but I spend some time (cursing) trying to get it working. Of course, this could be my fault (I don't say no), but now I cannot be sure. Otherwise, when it happens to someone else, here it is.

Bye,
Chris.