PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04 - minor annoyance, can this be changed?

malmomma
April 30th, 2010, 11:58 AM
So, it's nothing huge, but... Why are the Close, Minimize and Maximize buttons for windows now on the top left corner of the window?? This little change is driving me crazy since for decades, I've gone to the top right corner. Is this something that can be changed? Or do I have to change over 20 years of behavior for one upgrade? :P

kansasnoob
April 30th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Not all themes place the buttons to the left, but you can also correct that with this command:

gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string ":minimize,maximize,close"

zuerston
April 30th, 2010, 12:03 PM
So, it's nothing huge, but... Why are the Close, Minimize and Maximize buttons for windows now on the top left corner of the window?? This little change is driving me crazy since for decades, I've gone to the top right corner. Is this something that can be changed? Or do I have to change over 20 years of behavior for one upgrade? :P

Well well, I was running the 10.4 beta version and it had the left icons,I was getting used to it and when I installed fresh from dvd the 10.4 final,now the icons are back on the RIGHT! also Compiz does not work anymore. Looks very buggy to me.
:confused:

malmomma
April 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Not all themes place the buttons to the left, but you can also correct that with this command:

gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string ":minimize,maximize,close"

Hmmm... I literally just got done installing it a half hour ago and didn't think about themes. Still new to Linux and Ubuntu. I'll go check that out then. If that doesn't work, where would I type that command line? Terminal? Grub?

Thanks!

zuerston
April 30th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Im using the "clear looks" theme and that command did not fix the buttons ,still on right side.
When running beta,the buttons would some times be missing alltogether,had to reboot to get-em back.

malmomma
April 30th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Themes worked. Thanks much, Kansasnoob! Took a few clicks to find the ones that would revert to the right side, but find them I did. :D

kansasnoob
April 30th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Im using the "clear looks" theme and that command did not fix the buttons ,still on right side.
When running beta,the buttons would some times be missing alltogether,had to reboot to get-em back.

That's supposed to put them on the right side :)

Look at the end of the command:

":minimize,maximize,close"

If I move the : that changes the position. Changing the order of minimize,maximize,close does just that.

There are a gazillion ways to arrange the buttons:

http://www.khattam.info/2010/03/16/howto-move-the-minimize-maximize-close-buttons-to-the-right-in-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx/

http://www.rebelzero.com/howto/more-concern-than-necessary-over-lucids-button-layout/232

kansasnoob
April 30th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hmmm... I literally just got done installing it a half hour ago and didn't think about themes. Still new to Linux and Ubuntu. I'll go check that out then. If that doesn't work, where would I type that command line? Terminal? Grub?

Thanks!

Terminal :)

malmomma
April 30th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Hmm... So if I switch the colon from one side to the other, it determines where the buttons are - left or right. Which means that if I put it in the terminal... I could use a theme that I like that had buttons on the left and change them to the right.

Yes, I know, I'm a genius. :rolleyes:

ETA - and thanks for answering the noob here. LOL I appreciate it! Some day, I'll be good at this Linux thing. ;)

ETA again to say - I am a dork. I just tried it out because I felt compelled to try it out. And whadda ya know, it works.

Ron May
May 1st, 2010, 05:54 PM

THANK YOU! That worked perfectly!

mr_tk
May 5th, 2010, 08:04 PM
THANK YOU! That worked perfectly!
Second that! Thanks.

TinyDoctorTIm
May 7th, 2010, 01:18 AM

Thank you kansasnoob, for helping with this! ):P I have no idea why anyone would want to move those buttons to the upper left after a quarter-century of having them on the upper-right. This was an unnecessary innovation.