PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] title bars are missing after upgrade to lucid

dumas33
April 30th, 2010, 11:35 AM
After upgrading to Lucid and rebooting there are no title bars in open programs. If I change visual effects to normal or extra, titl ebar appears.

Unfortunately, after restarting system visual effects are reset to 'none' again. So each time the system starts I need to go to Appearance to enable visual effects to get title bars. How to fix it?

Laptop is Dell Lattitude E6400, with nvidia quadro NVS160M video card. I use proprietary drivers (version current, according 'Hardware Drivers').

dumas33
April 30th, 2010, 05:52 PM
It seems that the problem is in user settings in Home dir.
I created new user to check if it is same problem with fresh home settings, and guess what, there are no title bar problem in empty home dir.

Should I delete some settings files in my home dir?
Any suggestions?

cjnkns
April 30th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Same issue here - hopefully a fix comes soon.

drpjkurian
May 2nd, 2010, 06:14 AM
Hi
I have the same problem as Dumas. If it is a bug, how to do bug report?

drpjkurian
May 2nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hi
I have two display managers namely Gnome and KDE. well I was able to solve in KDE by removing Compiz. In Gnome it still persists..

dumas33
May 2nd, 2010, 09:26 PM
I don't know how but I solved it. I was playing around with hidden folders in home. After moving .config to home/tmp_conf and restarting PC visual effects worked fine. I deleted few folders of old uninstalled programs in tmp_conf and moved it back to .config.

So far visual effect works fine. Sorry for not writing down folder names I deleted, I just forgot them. But hope you have an idea how fix problem (please make back up of .config before starting deletions)

darkmakozu
May 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
I fixed the issue by adding

/usr/bin/compiz

To the list of start up applications.

Something that is annoying me however is that the mail applet options keeps appearing on log in, all the time.

drpjkurian
May 4th, 2010, 05:52 AM
hi I fixed the problem in GNOME by removing all the files in .config folder in Home. but now i am not able to activate the ' extra effects' in visual effects.

eric_son
May 4th, 2010, 01:47 PM

/usr/bin/compiz

Hey thanks! That was just what I needed.

Kinda odd though. Before I applied the fix you mentioned, I noticed the following:
1) Logging off then logging on again seems to fix the window title bar problem.
2) Listing the active processes at first boot shows that /usr/bin/compiz is already running. But there are no window title bars. Strange.

But hey...your solution works. :)

sauma
May 5th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I have the opposite problem. I only have title bars when visual effects are off. When I turn them on, the bars go away. I created a new user to test and this wasn't a problem.

Any ideas? I've been looking around here but can't find anything that really matches my dilemma...

weissed
May 5th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I've updated some packages yesterday in Synaptic (don't remember exactly what was there to update, I just marked all upgrades and then applied them) and today when I started the computer the problem seems to be fixed.

uboops
May 9th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Same issue here - hopefully a fix comes soon.
Hello, soon but when, do you have any others information sources ?
Because I've updated some packages today via Synaptic but the problem remains.

FI:Similar bug here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/577482

An other link (in French):
http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=392517

/usr/bin/compiz
To the list of start up applications...
Hello,
I have tried this solution but it does not work each time, so this bug remains here...
Ubuntu 32 Lucid v10.04 - kernel 2.6.32.22-generic-pae

my video card = ATI Technologies Inc RV730XT [Radeon HD 4670]

PS: maybe this bug is due to the status of the free Radeon drivers (not already done at 100%) ?
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd

Scott O'Nanski
May 13th, 2010, 11:39 AM
System >> Preferences >> Appearance;

Click "Visual Effects" Tab

Select "None" to turn off Compiz.

Then,

Select "Extra" to turn Compiz back on.

Problem solved.

uboops
May 13th, 2010, 01:02 PM
System >> Preferences >> Appearance;
Click "Visual Effects" Tab
Select "None" to turn off Compiz.
Then,
Select "Extra" to turn Compiz back on.
Problem solved.
I have already tried this workaround (also known into the French forum), but sometime after some reboot the problem came up again, so does not solve the issue.

johnathanamber
May 17th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hey everyone!

This is something that I've been seeing since Jaunty.

I have run both the 32bit and 64 bit of Karmic and Lucid, they both have this issue.

I've been working on making a minimal installation. Thus far it is working great!

I've got Gnome installed, can connect to the internet via wired or wireless.

I've installed the latest NVidia drivers.

However the titlebar is still missing. So I can't switch between programs nor am I able to move them around.

Yes, yes the Menu > System > Prefences > Appearance > Visual thingy... no go. All three options are disabled.

So since this is something that I've been experiencing since Jaunty... I want to know when a basic titlebar fix will be setup when issues like this arise with whatever the issue is... either theme based, video based, etc.

it sounds like a basic and fundamental thing to need.

BTW, yes before even going for a minimal installation... this happened with the ISOs that I've downloaded from Ubuntu.com.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this WITHOUT having to go through the Appearance menu item?

Right now I am using the Radiance theme and it is still a problem.

Finally, yes it has to be reset everytime I reboot when I used the ISOs.

Thank you and God bless,
Johnathan

johnathanamber
May 17th, 2010, 06:46 PM
OK, installing compiz fixed the 'Appearance' disable issue.

Question... why do you need compiz to get the titlebar? Shouldn't it be standard with Gnome?

I have not rebooted yet to see if that has been fixed or not.

Thank you and God bless,
Johanthan

f.zacka
June 12th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Hi all, new to the forum. After hours of looking and trying different things, I have found the cause at least to my problem which sounds similar to yours as the "Title Bars" went missing after an update. In startup applications, I found Devils Pie application set to run with the parameters

(Maximize)
(undecorate)
(focus)

After removing this from startup then doing a restart, it has fixed the problem.
Hope I've mentioned this in the right place.
Hope it helps ](*,)

avbweb
July 23rd, 2010, 01:54 PM
There has been posted a bug for this problem and several workarounds at launchpad.net:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/577482

You can show that you suffer from this bug by clicking "Does this bug affect you?".

joyson20
July 26th, 2010, 07:17 AM

/usr/bin/compiz

Thank you..It worked for me....