PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] lucid 64 unable to shutdown

tenmoi
April 30th, 2010, 08:19 AM
A clean install on an all linux AMD desktop machine. Problem is lucid will not shutdown. All that you can see is the background staring at you for good.

How do I fix it?

Thanks alot.

P.S.
I have not had the guts to install fglrx either.

Some software I did install:

sudo aptitude install subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-openssl-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxtst-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmms-dev libmpeg3-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libwavpack-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libssh-2-dev gettext cvs
sudo aptitude install subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-openssl-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxtst-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmms-dev libmpeg3-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libwavpack-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libssh-2-dev gettext cvs subversion git
sudo apt-get install build-essential libattr1-dev libblkid-dev libgnutls-dev libreadline5-dev python-dev autoconf python-dnspython

And mysql-server, libqt4, gstream*

xdemo
April 30th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Try open tty1 (ctrl+alt+f1) and login with your user, then in the console:

$ sudo poweroff
or

$ sudo halt

Just a temporary way to make sure your computer shuts down properly until you find out the problem.

tenmoi
April 30th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Try open tty1 (ctrl+alt+f1) and login with your user, then in the console:

$ sudo poweroff
or

$ sudo halt

Just a temporary way to make sure your computer shuts down properly until you find out the problem.

I did a shutdown -r now and still it will not shutdown. I installed fglrx downloaded from amd.com and now I cannot uninstall it. I'll try as you suggested and a reinstall is perhaps what will await me.:(

I am happy now.

I reinstalled fglrx downloaded from amd.com and restarted successfully.

Ubuntu depends on ati to shutdown:confused:

Anyway, thank you for your help.

cb951303
April 30th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I have a similar problem.

I did a fresh 32bit lucid install. but when I try to shutdown the computer it takes me to the login screen. then I retry shutting it down form the login screen with the shutdown button at the bottom right but it does nothing.

anyone having this problem?

SlugSlug
April 30th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I had similar prob,

is was kexec

cat /etc/default/kexec

# Defaults for kexec initscript
# sourced by /etc/init.d/kexec and /etc/init.d/kexec-load

# Load a kexec kernel (true/false)
LOAD_KEXEC=false

# Kernel and initrd image
KERNEL_IMAGE="/vmlinuz"
INITRD="/initrd.img"

# If empty, use current /proc/cmdline
APPEND=""

Ctulhu
May 2nd, 2010, 04:44 AM
Same problem here: shutdown from the button in the top right corner does not do anything on a newly installed 10.4 32bit system, but

sudo shutdown now

at the terminal works. Somewhat annoying ...

cb951303
May 2nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
Same problem here: shutdown from the button in the top right corner does not do anything on a newly installed 10.4 32bit system, but

sudo shutdown now

at the terminal works. Somewhat annoying ...

it was somehow fixed when I restarted the computer.

theoldgit
May 3rd, 2010, 03:01 PM
I am having this problem at what appears to be random times. ie sometimes it works perfectly well, other times I'm back to the login screen and an endless loop.

Ctulhu
May 3rd, 2010, 06:11 PM
Yea, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes also

sudo shutdown now

hangs at the aubergine shutdown screen. Can we just shutdown our OSs plz??

Jenske
May 6th, 2010, 09:37 PM
In my case (and having read it somewhere else on the internet) it has something to do with the OpenOffice Quickstarter. If I shut this down AND AFTERWARDS shut down Ubuntu 10.04, no problem: the system shuts down.

If, however, I keep the Quickstarter, shutdown, then nothing happens (i.e. I see the background image and can continue working in Ubuntu as if nothing ever happened).

alh
May 6th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Same with me and openoffice qickstarter. Don't use it and now don't have a problem. Stopped it in openoffice pref or stop in start apps. Bit of a glitch there?

Dosen't make that much differece in programme startup time anyway.

fromgi
May 7th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Never activated Quickstarter and still have the problem.

Ctulhu
May 14th, 2010, 05:08 PM
disabling the OpenOffice systray quickstarter did it for me

AGAUT
May 14th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Hi,

I am having same problem; though it started occuring after I removed the 'power' button and then added again in the panel. Earlier it was working fine but now i have to shut down computer directly from the CPU :(

Will try by the command line but is there a permanent solution??

SilFox
July 24th, 2010, 12:59 PM
My Lucid x64 worked OK until I changed graphic card (downgraded from nVidia 280 (http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgrgtx2801024oce.aspx) to nVidia 8500 (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2184) ). After that I am unable to shutdown (restart works OK). Also, it happens with OR without proprietary drivers. (I didn't try drivers downloaded manually from nvidia, only those ofered by Ubuntu).

Today, on same desktop computer, I tried Ubuntu 10.10 [64bit] Alpha2 (2.6.35) and OpenSuse 11.3 [64bit] (2.6.34);
Ubuntu 10.10 goes black screen few seconds after I press "Try Ubuntu without install..." ;
OpenSuse 11.3 after finishing installation, on first reboot (when installation goest to final stage) - also went black screen. And, I couldn't go to console or do anything else.
Seems that newer kernels don't like my graphic card (?)

sudo lshw -C display
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: G86 [GeForce 8500 GT]
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
resources: irq:18 memory:fd000000-fdffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff(prefetchable) memory:fa000000-fbffffff ioport:d800(size=128) memory:feae0000-feafffff(prefetchable)
Also, I tried Ubuntu 10.10 Alpha2 [64bit] on Laptop Acer Aspire 7730G and it worked OK.

Managed to boot Live CD Ubuntu 10.10 Alpha2 x64 on desktop computer;
on first screen, before I press "Try Ubuntu ...", I pressed F6 and picked "nomodeset"

Still no luck in finding solution how to poweroff my installed Lucid on that desktop computer.

BertjeBebo
August 12th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Hi,

I am having same problem; though it started occuring after I removed the 'power' button and then added again in the panel. Earlier it was working fine but now i have to shut down computer directly from the CPU :(

Will try by the command line but is there a permanent solution??

Same problem, same solution ;)

I hope it is permanent.

SilFox
August 28th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Today I switched back previous graphic card and reinstalled Lucid; and, guess what, 'Poweroff' problem IS still here, so maybe in this case, that bug is not related to graphic card.

However, noticed that there is new release of Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) ALPHA 3 (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/maverick/alpha3) , so I decided to try it, and - it shutdown normally.

After updating, there is one (solvable) bug - related to shutdown/restart (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/policykit-1-gnome/+bug/623819); (it is still alpha!)

In a fully updated maverick_amd64 the newest policykit-1-gnome_0.96-2ubuntu3
does not let me reboot nor shutdown. This is a recent update.
After I have pressed the reboot or shutdown button from the user menu, a small window opens with an error text:
"policykit is not responding".
If I then press the button "shutdown anyway", the computer reboots or shuts down within 10 seconds, but not immediately.
This has something to do with user rights, because if I command in terminal:
sudo reboot or
sudo halt (sudo poweroff)
the combuter responds immediately without any errors.
Also, if I downgrade the policykit-1-gnome and libpolkit-gtk-1-0 packages to the version 0.96-2ubuntu2, the issue is gone
and the user menu works as it should.
So, I found and manually downloaded "policykit-1-gnome_0.96-2ubuntu2_amd64.deb" and "libpolkit-gtk-1-0_0.96-2ubuntu2_amd64.deb", and installed them:

fox@MSI:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg --force-depends -i policykit-1-gnome_0.96-2ubuntu2_amd64.deb
fox@MSI:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg --force-depends -i libpolkit-gtk-1-0_0.96-2ubuntu2_amd64.debThen restarted computer, and just as Harry said, "the issue is gone and the user menu works as it should."

SilFox
September 3rd, 2010, 07:23 AM
New Maverick update for PolicyKit~ :

Changes for the versions:
0.96-2ubuntu2
0.96-2ubuntu4

Version 0.96-2ubuntu4:

* debian/patches/04-autorestart.patch:
- updated to implement the full gnome-session API to prevent
"authentication agent is not responding" message on logout
I installed this update and shutdown issue is gone;
BTW, Ubuntu 10.10 beta version is available on ubuntu.com