PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] grub rescue prompt

Quib
April 30th, 2010, 07:11 AM
My first post to the forums is a desperate one.

What I started with: Dual Boot Win 7 64 bit / Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit I followed a tutorial to get the whole thing set up in the first place, so my skill level is very low when it comes to Ubuntu. The initial set up was a nightmare, but once it was finally up and running everything worked as it should.

What I tried to do: I used the update manager in 9.10 to attempt to update to 10.04. After 6 hours of downloading and installing it asked me some questions about grub or updating grub and where to install grub... I really don't know. I read the suggestions and chose the the partition that I believe had the boot flag. I'm now not so sure.

What is happening now: GRUB loading. error: the symbol 'grub_puts_' not found grub rescue>

I'm completely out of my depths here.

Why I am panic stricken: I'm two weeks from graduation and all of the materials and software that I need to complete papers/projects and such (many due within the next 5 days) are located on my win7 partition.

What I need: In a perfect world, I'd love help restoring grub or my MBR or whatever needs to be done so that I can successfully dual boot into win7 and Ubuntu 10.04, but I don't need anything from the linux partitions. I absolutely must be able to boot into win 7 without losing any of my data or software.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

wilee-nilee
April 30th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Do you have a install DVD for W7 or a recovery disc?

Quib
April 30th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Yes, I have an install backup disc for win 7 pro, and I have a live disc for Karmic Koala. I'm replying on an old powerbook with no disc burning capabilities, so that's all I'm likely to have for now.

What next?

wilee-nilee
April 30th, 2010, 07:50 AM
If at this point you would like to get W7 back and worry about the Ubuntu setup later this thread should help, post #4 has the instructions, post #5 has a link that shows the process. This will reload the W7 boot-loader.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1466021

You could also just boot the live Lucid cd see if it works, then go to gparted and delete the ext4 primary for Lucid then make a new ext4 and do a custom install in the partition gui in the installation of Lucid. It seems though that getting W7 back right away will be what works best for you.

Quib
April 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I'll give that thread a look. thanks for the reply. You're right about the win 7 priority. If I can get back to that then I'll revisit the Ubuntu part of the equation after graduation.

wilee-nilee
April 30th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I'll give that thread a look. thanks for the reply. You're right about the win 7 priority. If I can get back to that then I'll revisit the Ubuntu part of the equation after graduation.

I am a college student myself, finished midterms today. I would get a external HD to back that stuff on to, good luck with everything.

Quib
April 30th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Ok, you are not going to believe this.
I followed the instructions to repair the MBR. I didn't work, but there is a note on the page that says "If this method fails to restore the MBR, you can try the bootrec command (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392)". No big deal, reboot and try again. Only now, when I get to the "press any key to boot from CD or DVD" screen, nothing happens.

I can't fathom how attempting to repair the MBR would have any effect on this, but that is certainly how it appears. the only visible change is that now if I try and boot without a disc, there is only a flashing cursor. I suppose this is a windows issue now, but it is baffling.

Idiot check: Is the disk in the disk drive? yes, Is the keyboard plugged in? Yes, the caps lock light is on, and I unplugged it/plugged it back in to be certain. Did it work just moments before? Yes, perfectly. Will it boot from your 9.10 live disc? Yes, it will. WTF?

I'm open to suggestions.

wilee-nilee
April 30th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Ok, you are not going to believe this.
I followed the instructions to repair the MBR. I didn't work, but there is a note on the page that says "If this method fails to restore the MBR, you can try the bootrec command (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392)". No big deal, reboot and try again. Only now, when I get to the "press any key to boot from CD or DVD" screen, nothing happens.

I can't fathom how attempting to repair the MBR would have any effect on this, but that is certainly how it appears. the only visible change is that now if I try and boot without a disc, there is only a flashing cursor. I suppose this is a windows issue now, but it is baffling.

Idiot check: Is the disk in the disk drive? yes, Is the keyboard plugged in? Yes, the caps lock light is on, and I unplugged it/plugged it back in to be certain. Did it work just moments before? Yes, perfectly. Will it boot from your 9.10 live disc? Yes, it will. WTF?

I'm open to suggestions.

Did you run the auto repair or go to the command line to enter BootRec.exe /fixmbr

Is the backup disc you have the backup you made when you bought the computer if this is correct? or is the disc a full install backup DVD.

Quib
April 30th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Alright, it finally loaded the windows 7 disc so that I could try the bootsect.exe /fixmbr

This is what I've done: I ran the automatic startup repair and it did not detect a problem. I then I folowed the instruction that you pointed me towards. It claims "bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes. Finally, as mentioned in those instructions, I also ran bootrec.exe /fix mbr.

nothing so far... I'm about to try again with bootrec.exe / fixboot

Quib
April 30th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Woohoo! I did the bootrec.exe / fix mbr and then immediately followed that with bootrec.exe / fixboot
That worked. I have no idea how this will help anyone else since I can't access a working version of Ubuntu at the moment, but at least I can get to semester projects.

My experiences with Ubuntu installs have been very unpleasant but you have helped me immensely. I'll return when I have more time to tinker with Ubuntu.
thanks.
That 8am ethics class is going to suck even more today (it's 3am where I'm at).

wilee-nilee
April 30th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Woohoo! I did the bootrec.exe / fix mbr and then immediately followed that with bootrec.exe / fixboot
That worked. I have no idea how this will help anyone else since I can't access a working version of Ubuntu at the moment, but at least I can get to semester projects.

My experiences with Ubuntu installs have been very unpleasant but you have helped me immensely. I'll return when I have more time to tinker with Ubuntu.
thanks.
That 8am ethics class is going to suck even more today (it's 3am where I'm at).

Whew I thought maybe that the backup was a full system backup. My upgrade version of W7 DVD is called a backup, I am as relieved as you are believe me. Do no harm is my first motto, it's the ethics you know. ;) The auto repair appears to not work when a bootloader other then a MS one is in the MBR.