PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 9.10 not showing upgrade option in update manager

kumarat9pm
April 30th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Hi all,

I am using Ubuntu 9.10, as i want to upgrade to 10.04. I followed the Ubuntu steps mention in Ubuntu.com but my update manager is not showing upgrade option..
i tried below command that too did not show any output about the available updates..

#do-release-upgrade
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
No new release found

Please help to resolve this issue.. I am egar to see how things are in Lucid..

apurbapaul0
April 30th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I am also not getting the upgrade option in the update manager of 9.10 to upgrade it to 10.04. Then I have downloaded the alternate cd from the site http://mirror.ovh.net/ubuntu-releases/10.04/ now follow the steps given on the ubuntu site but it showing that "An upgrade from 'helena' to 'lucid' is not supported with this tool."
Please help to solve the problem.

arpanaut
April 30th, 2010, 06:47 PM
"An upgrade from 'helena' to 'lucid' is not supported with this tool."

Isn't Helena the code name of the Linux Mint 9.10 release...
If you have Mint installed that could be the reason the Ubuntu iso is not working.

apurbapaul0
April 30th, 2010, 07:58 PM
"An upgrade from 'helena' to 'lucid' is not supported with this tool."

Isn't Helena the code name of the Linux Mint 9.10 release...
If you have Mint installed that could be the reason the Ubuntu iso is not working.
I had installed the mint menu. Now I have unistalled all the package that I had installed to install the mint menu. But it till not showing the upgrade option and the same error massage when I am using the alternate cd.
Please help me to solve the problem.

kumarat9pm
May 3rd, 2010, 10:35 AM
any updates on this? how to troubleshoot this issue?
still not able to see upgrade option :(

kumarat9pm
May 3rd, 2010, 10:38 AM
update-manager -d
warning: could not initiate dbus
Error setting launch_time: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/update-manager", line 107, in <module>
app = UpdateManager(data_dir, options)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/UpdateManager/UpdateManager.py", line 204, in __init__
self.restore_state()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/UpdateManager/UpdateManager.py", line 706, in restore_state
expanded = self.gconfclient.get_bool("/apps/update-manager/show_details")
glib.GError: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

This is the error i am getting when installing ubuntu 10.04..

chaeron
June 3rd, 2010, 07:11 PM
I managed to upgrade my laptop from Karmic to Lucid using the Alternative ISO. But now when I run update manager (gksudo update-manager) and then tell it to update packages, I get the same error messages as Kumar:

warning: could not initiate dbus
glib.GError: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

However, if I do a sudo su - and then start update-manager, it will download and install packages just fine.

Very strange. Any ideas on how to fix this?

system60
March 18th, 2011, 08:48 AM
sorry to bump an old topic but did anyone figure this out? I'm on 9.10 and it doesn't show any upgrades available in update manager. This is just on a netbook that doesn't have much on it so i'll probably just d/l 10.10 and install off usb drive if no one has figured this out.