PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Keep Aligned" Bug

JBA2337
April 30th, 2010, 04:46 AM
In Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) right-click the desktop and uncheck the "Keep Aligned" checkbox. Then reboot. Now the Keep Aligned checkbox is checked again. Keep Aligned automatically reverts to the checked state. I didn't have this problem with Ubuntu 9.04.

Why can't I permanently uncheck the Keep Aligned checkbox?

If you search Ubuntu Forums for the term "Keep Aligned", you will find several discussions about this bug, some dated almost 6 months ago. As yet no one has offered a solution.

Several people, including myself, are very irritated by this bug.

Will someone from Ubuntu please respond to this post!!
(And maybe offer a solution.)

JBA2337

ratcheer
April 30th, 2010, 05:01 AM
You should open or update a bug on Launchpad to get "official" Ubuntu people to look at it.

Tim

JBA2337
May 2nd, 2010, 06:32 AM
You should open or update a bug on Launchpad to get "official" Ubuntu people to look at it.

Tim

Good suggestion. I already have an ID and password for Launchpad, so I posted this same question about 5 minutes ago.

If I get a solution I will post it here.

JBA2337

JBA2337
June 9th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Since May 5, 2010, I have been monitoring bugs in launchpad.net for an answer to the above problem, and as yet on launchpad no one has suggested a solution.

I recently upgraded my computer to Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid, and I still have the same bug. If I right click on the desktop, and uncheck the "keep aligned" check box, after a reboot it always resets and the "keep aligned" check box is checked.

"Keep Aligned" cannot be permanently set to stay unchecked.

This bug was forwarded to the GNOME developers: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=589156

No solution at bugzilla either.

JBA2337

asbesto
July 9th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Since May 5, 2010, I have been monitoring bugs in launchpad.net for an answer to the above problem, and as yet on launchpad no one has suggested a solution.

I recently upgraded my computer to Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid, and I still have the same bug. If I right click on the desktop, and uncheck the "keep aligned" check box, after a reboot it always resets and the "keep aligned" check box is checked.

"Keep Aligned" cannot be permanently set to stay unchecked.

This bug was forwarded to the GNOME developers: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=589156

No solution at bugzilla either.

JBA2337

Maybe developers are busy enough solving other "problems" (like the Windows appearence or unchecking by default the Trashcan Icon on the Desktop, or other UNUSEFUL stuff) :confused:](*,)

Jerommel
November 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Hi there,

I also find it quite annoying to have to untick the keep aligned box EVERY TIME !!
No clue whatsoever about a solution though...
So, this reaction is just an "UP"...

Best,
J.

UncleBoarder
November 29th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I understand that this is not a critical bug. But it is apparently a bug! This used to work and it seems 9.10 broke it. Obviously the devs have better things to do than fix things they consider unimportant. (yeah I'm pissed too).

So... how about some help from the community? How about a script to run at startup to uncheck "Keep Aligned". (which I don't have the skill to write).