PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.04, and loveing it!

note32
April 30th, 2010, 04:43 AM
i don't know about anyone else but this edition of ubuntu is just awesome\\:D/

P.S shout out to everyone who worked hard on it thanks for making a great release:guitar:

orb9220
April 30th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Well me not so much. I see improvements but many things still lacking basic functions that to me are critical.

1) Just as I was typing this my system locked up and went all white screen. Had to hard reboot. Was it firefox? the Ati graphics drivers I installed just an hour ago? Who knows and the only way to find out is spending time researching. I don't mind a little researching but remember from Dapper to Heron before I went back to windows. The constant finding fixes,workarounds,patches,hot fixes,etc.. and don't get me started on the x-server or video driver upgrades that broke it all together.

2) Control Buttons on the Left? Come On! what are you thinking and waiting to the last minute to drop them into final freeze so nobody can confront or give feedback on the issue.

3) Surprise!..Surprise I still see gnome can't or isn't willing to take over remember apps last size and position. I just love having to keep dragging my apps back to where I prefer them. And only solution is another app devil's pie just for remembering apps last size and position really?

4) Gnome seems to be crawling along slowly features mention and talked about over a year ago still not in ubuntu.

5) I don't care how great Ubuntu as a OS is. Because it is a Great yes Great OS. But an OS is only as great as it's apps to get things done. And for me that means Image Editing,cataloging,tagging power akin to Lightroom,ACDSee Pro,Aperture,Capture NX,Adobe CS5 type power. And linear Video editing,encoding,compressing,conversion like DVdshrink,DVD decrypter,VirtualDub,Winavi,Sony Vegas,etc.. and tho some of these can be run with wine why? can't I just run windows then?

I mean to be fair. I do love the whole concept of Ubuntu. As a photographer I even entered images at flickr for submission into Lucid Lynx and two of them are included in this distribution. And honored to be selected and happy to try and give back to the Ubuntu community to do my part not being a developer.

And know it is not much. But during the Dapper to Heron days I gave as much help and pointing to solutions to help out the new to ubuntu crowd here in the forums.

I will give it another week or two as I check the progress on Image and Video editing software and new apps I am not aware of. But may just not be ready for me. And wish it was as again I am not bashing Ubuntu or the whole free OS concept that I do love.

swoll1980
April 30th, 2010, 05:16 AM
White screen sounds like a compositing issue. Maybe a compiz related problem?

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 30th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Yes, it's quite nice. A few more things work ootb on my laptop and I can never complain about that. Overall a great release. I've been using it for a while now (alpha).

orb9220
April 30th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Yep that is what I was thinking also. But that's my point always ongoing video,wireless,etc..issues that people have to waste time finding a solution. Not trying to point the finger at Ubuntu. As I know it's 3rd party scrambling with their closed proprietary drivers and such waiting for them to get around to fixing it.

But as a user I more interested in it just working then assigning blame. Or wasting more time finding solutions,fixes,etc...

cariboo
April 30th, 2010, 05:30 AM
2) Control Buttons on the Left? Come On! what are you thinking and waiting to the last minute to drop them into final freeze so nobody can confront or give feedback on the issue.

The button issue has been discussed so many times since Beta 1, all you have to use any theme, other than Ambiance or Radiance to have the buttons back on the right side.

orb9220
April 30th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Yep and they have corrected themes for those two also. And downloaded and installed. The issue for me is not the inconvenience of having to do that. So much as the artwork team feels a need of no consideration or feedback from the users to what we would like. I think waiting to last possible moment to drop it in just before the freeze is much telling of motivations.

Or that's my perception of it anyways.
And sorry as been away from Ubuntu and the forums for over a year. So missed the discussion on that issue.

Roasted
April 30th, 2010, 05:35 AM

Sorry that you missed the memo... it's been out for quite a long time now. It's easy to change back. Search the forums - there's about 400 threads regarding it.

So far I've been very pleased with this release. It's been the least problematic for me, and I'm happy to see the default appearance was overhauled. Definitely solid for an LTS, in my opinion. But of course, it's only been a few days that I been running it (release candidate). Time will tell better - but so far, it's been a good experience. Good job, developers. :guitar:

WinterRain
April 30th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Best computing experience ever. And I go back to 1985 with computers. Wow.

ade234uk
April 30th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Yep that is what I was thinking also. But that's my point always ongoing video,wireless,etc..issues that people have to waste time finding a solution. Not trying to point the finger at Ubuntu. As I know it's 3rd party scrambling with their closed proprietary drivers and such waiting for them to get around to fixing it.

But as a user I more interested in it just working then assigning blame. Or wasting more time finding solutions,fixes,etc...

We all need to get together, create a site and list the good guys who support Linux and the ones that don't.

If something has a penguin on the box we will become loyal to that brand, which means they get more ££££££ at the end of the day.

hudic20
April 30th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Hello.

I need to tell Ubuntu FTW. But problem is ... why downloading language packs? This take to long for install. I select English (US) and install with Wubi (inside Windows). :confused: :-k I need click on skip or what, need to know for next time ... thanks for answer. And if u need other language you can install inside Ubuntu not when install Ubuntu ... btw. :p

PC_load_letter
April 30th, 2010, 06:32 AM
5) I don't care how great Ubuntu as a OS is. Because it is a Great yes Great OS. But an OS is only as great as it's apps to get things done. And for me that means Image Editing,cataloging,tagging power akin to Lightroom,ACDSee Pro,Aperture,Capture NX,Adobe CS5 type power. And linear Video editing,encoding,compressing,conversion like DVdshrink,DVD decrypter,VirtualDub,Winavi,Sony Vegas,etc.. and tho some of these can be run with wine why? can't I just run windows then?

I'm not sure how you can blame Linux or FOSS for this. Hopefully the more people to use Linux, the more attention it gets. And now w/ Google OS, maybe we will see it soon enough.

I'm far from being a professional photographer as I can be, but all my needs and the needs of many others are satisfied by GIMP, K3B, DVDrip, DeVeDe, Avidemux, PiTiVi, LIVES, and soon enough Lightworks :guitar:.

I do understand your frustration though. I have similar feelings re playing and composing music on Linux which is light years behind Windows and OSX, but again there is nothing to blame the Linux or FOSS community here. It's just a niche market and making profit is very challenging even on the more popular OS's.

Foster Grant
April 30th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Upgraded via Upgrade Manager; took about 2½ hours. Love it.

phrostbyte
April 30th, 2010, 07:17 AM
So far so good. :)

Rodney9
April 30th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Lucid Lynx 64bit is Fantastic, so fast, starting up from grub only takes 10 seconds , shutting down only takes 5 seconds, everything else is so fast as well.
I Love it !

xtremo
April 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Seems a great release to me! Install went perfectly and it's running very quick!

OmegaAI
April 30th, 2010, 08:28 AM
i don't know about anyone else but this edition of ubuntu is just awesome\\:D/

P.S shout out to everyone who worked hard on it thanks for making a great release:guitar:

Same! Lucid is SOOOOOOO FAST!

NCLI
April 30th, 2010, 08:29 AM

Pitivi is included with Ubuntu. It's a little basic, but it should handle most video editing just fine. However, this fall, the Lightworks video editor will be released as open source, solving the problem of lacking a powerful video editor.

El_Shrander
April 30th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Upgraded via Upgrade Manager; took about forever, in my case (due to slow Internet connection, no doubt). Love it all the same :)

Pretty fast and smooth, so far - I am set to go on working and playing on my computer just like before.

Thsyrus
April 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM
So far I only have two problems. First while the start-up is much much faster its a little random with the speed. Sometimes it's 3 seconds sometimes its 25.

Also my Sony laptops battery is permanently set to 38.2%, Not a big deal since I always have it plugged in anyway (it's a little too beaten up for portable use) but still a little annoying.

Beyond that it's great. Moved buttons a little strange but I'm getting used to it, no wireless problems, NO SOUND PROBLEMS (not even crackling) and once I changed the font size to slightly smaller it was perfect.

I will say if I did use my laptop portability the battery thing would be more annoying. But still not as annoying as it crashing when plugging in power while already running (as 9.10 did) so in my opinion were points up for now at least :)

Khakilang
April 30th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I am half way there and another 8 hour to go. Lucky for me I have another computer running Lubuntu Lucid Lynx. Can't wait to get my hand on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on my main computer.

TMKCodes
April 30th, 2010, 09:15 AM
My only problem is that my battery shows 5h ours 4 minutes for full battery and what i have tested the battery runs for close 7 hours. It's nice to be still using the laptop when battery shows 0%

MacinViLLe
April 30th, 2010, 09:35 AM

I started upgrading my Ubuntu 9.10 since 10 AM, and it's now 4 PM. Took me 4 hours in downloading the upgrade (probably the server was busy or many people are downloading it at that time, because I'm sure that it wasn't because of my internet connection), and until now the installation is ongoing (about 47 minutes remaining). I'm excited as I am worried, don't know why.

Btw, what will happen to the programs I installed manually to my current Ubuntu? This is my first time upgrading my beloved computer, apologies if you find my question sucks.

note32
April 30th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Lucid Lynx 64bit is Fantastic, so fast, starting up from grub only takes 10 seconds , shutting down only takes 5 seconds, everything else is so fast as well.
I Love it !

yea its crazy fast!:biggrin: the fastest i've ever seen ubuntu

WannabeFantasma
April 30th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I haven't got the chance to check it out yet...
downloaded it wanted to burn and it just didn't work with brasero...
Tonight I'll burn it using windows hope that works..

utkatt
April 30th, 2010, 09:52 AM
yeah, it's fast in booting perspective.

was slow as hell in first boot, and then use. can't use rhythmbox, and nautilis together in the first boot.

though it's better after the restart, and now i'm loving it.

and yeah, Broadcom's devices first needs to be installed, from Menu>System>Administration>Hardware Drivers.

Nunana
April 30th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Just upgraded 10 beta 1 to 10.04.
Control buttons were moved to the left. So I switched theme and than back to my old theme. Now they are on the right again.
10.04 looks o.k. On my kids machine (with the beta) i couldn't find an easy way to get an ATI RADEON driver (only up to Ubuntu 9.04). Maybe it will come now 10.04 is official released. Otherwise I have to spent some hours to find out how to fix it. It's my kids computer and he needs fast 3D rendering for "Tux cart". I'll look around.
Don't forget Ubuntu implements new versions all the time if you want stable than choose a distro that goes for stability like p.e. Debian "stable", CentOS EL, BSD. It does not contain the newest software but it is stable.

Lensman
April 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I did a clean install on a 150G VelociRaptor and the boot time actually startled me! Unbelievably fast. Without a doubt, the best OS I have ever used since 1972.

ssj6akshat
April 30th, 2010, 12:14 PM
shutting down only takes 5 seconds, everything else is so fast as well.
I Love it !

There must be some problem,it takes less than a second on my Karmic 32 bit install

98cwitr
April 30th, 2010, 01:31 PM
shut down has been around 3 seconds for me, even on beta