PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't type password to log in?

shannon.jacobs
April 30th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Fresh install from the new CD (via BitTorrent). Installation seemed to go cleanly, with no errors or warnings, but a long delay while some files were downloading from the overloaded servers. However, after the reboot, the machine was unusable. Can't log in because it won't recognize any characters coming from the keyboard when I try to type my password. Not good.

Hardware is a Lenovo (IBM) ThinkPad R52 with 1.5 GB RAM. Extremely vanilla machine. Possible wrinkle in that I'm trying another VM this time around, using VMware Player 3.0.1.

Right now I'm assuming this installation is dead and non-recoverable, but just sharing the preliminary report to see if anyone else is seeing it. My usual 'strategy' for these problems has been to wait for the Ubuntu people to fix them (and I'd even be willing to help pay for the fixes, if they had a better financial model there...), but I don't see how the Ubuntu people can do anything about this big of a flop... I'll have to figure out something by myself--but it's seeming easier and easier to just give up and go back to Windows, sad to say.

aysiu
April 30th, 2010, 04:11 AM
How about resetting your password?
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword