PDA

View Full Version : Not sure whether to upgrade

coopsinio
April 30th, 2010, 03:41 AM
I'm running Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 on my eeepc 901 and I've just downloaded a large update with update manager. I now get the message "New Ubuntu Release 10.04 LTS" is available. I saw no reason not to get the latest version (after all it is free) so I clicked upgrade.

After a few minutes a window appeared saying
Support for some applications ended
Canonical Ltd. no longer provides support for the following software packages. You can still get support from the community.. I am a little concerned as it includes a number of packages including ubuntu netbook remix.

Does this mean that it's trying to upgrade to 10.04 Ubuntu standard edition? or have they just created a new netbook remix package?

Thanks

solar george
April 30th, 2010, 06:57 AM
IIRC they rewrote the netbook launcher for lucid to give it a better fallback on machines without compositing which probably means the packages will have been rearranged.

movieman
April 30th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I wondered about that, but then the upgrader downloaded some new ubuntu-netbook packages so I presume it's just due to the renaming (it's Ubuntu Netbook Edition now, isn't it?).

Edit: still have three hours of installation to go so I don't know what it's going to do after the files are installed :).

coyotearms
May 2nd, 2010, 04:11 AM
When I started the upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 I had the exact feeling coopsinio had. In addition, I saw bluetooth was also going to not be supported. But based on the few answers to his post, I decided to continue and did so with success. And indeed in System -> Preferences bluetooth was still there. I did not, however, see an opportunity at login to change between the Remix and Gnome interfaces, as I had read on another post. It is still Remix. Anybody know anything about that?