PDA

View Full Version : This is offensive, and extremely unprofessional

Queue29
April 30th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Who on earth thought it was a good idea to include "Bastard" by default on an OS 'for humans'?

http://i.imgur.com/mUnco.png

JDShu
April 30th, 2010, 03:35 AM
hahaha bastet was a great game.

kaldor
April 30th, 2010, 03:39 AM
It's just a word, but I can see some people being offended.

chessnerd
April 30th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I agree, I don't think this is very professional and I would hope that an update will soon modify the text. If not I'm sure this won't be the last post about this we see.

Might this even be grounds for filing a bug report?

antenna
April 30th, 2010, 03:41 AM
I am outraged. ;)

Mr. Picklesworth
April 30th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I'm pretty sure this has been in there for a long time. And yes, there's a bug report about it. Strange it wasn't fixed…
Hmm: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-games/+bug/508214
No activity on it upstream.

I'm not really offended by it, and I think it's silly to be offended by so-called “swear words” (why are strongly expressive words taboo, again? Are we anti-language?), but that's the world we seem to live in.

On another note, Bastard Mode is a really cool challenge. I recommend it :)
Would make an interesting multiplayer game, too…

CharlesA
April 30th, 2010, 03:42 AM
What's the problem?

Bastard mode is designed to annoy the hell out of the player.

The name definitely describes what it does.

EDIT: It's part of Gnome.

See here: http://library.gnome.org/users/quadrapassel/stable/s1-customizegame.html.en

cariboo
April 30th, 2010, 03:45 AM
I would suggest creating a bug:

ubuntu-bug quadrapassel

detail what the problem is.

KiwiNZ
April 30th, 2010, 03:45 AM
it has various meanings

"5.illegitimate in birth.
spurious; not genuine; false: The architecture was bastard Gothic.
of abnormal or irregular shape or size; of unusual make or proportions: bastard quartz; bastard mahogany.
having the appearance of; resembling in some degree: a bastard Michelangelo; bastard emeralds.
Printing. (of a character) not of the font in which it is used or found."

Source = http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bastard

Hman242
April 30th, 2010, 04:12 AM
What is bastard mode?

CharlesA
April 30th, 2010, 04:13 AM
What is bastard mode?

See below:

Bastard mode is designed to annoy the hell out of the player.

The name definitely describes what it does.

See here: http://library.gnome.org/users/quadrapassel/stable/s1-customizegame.html.en

Hman242
April 30th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Haha, I find this quite funny. How could anyone be offended by this?

Chronon
April 30th, 2010, 04:29 AM
I agree. The word is not being used to describe the marital state of a person's parents when they were conceived (such condition seeming like antiquated grounds for an insult these days anyway). I don't see anything insulting or offensive about it.

Merk42
April 30th, 2010, 04:36 AM
I took my female dog in for a checkup and the vet called her a bitch, I am very offended and am seeking another veterinary physician

swoll1980
April 30th, 2010, 04:49 AM
The free software community is known for their playful use of words. I think this is just a manifestation of that.

Ebere
April 30th, 2010, 04:50 AM
What is bastard mode?

It's the mode where you find yourself yelling "you basterd", at the screen after every few moves...

;)

Bachstelze
April 30th, 2010, 04:52 AM
I agree, I don't think this is very professional

Because of course, playing games in the first place is so professional...

KinKiac
April 30th, 2010, 04:57 AM
it has various meanings

"5.illegitimate in birth.
spurious; not genuine; false: The architecture was bastard Gothic.
of abnormal or irregular shape or size; of unusual make or proportions: bastard quartz; bastard mahogany.
having the appearance of; resembling in some degree: a bastard Michelangelo; bastard emeralds.
Printing. (of a character) not of the font in which it is used or found."

Source = http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bastard

THIS ^^^^

A simple word should not be offensive. Its a WORD. I actually am a bastard, in the usual sense. I was born out of wedlock, so technically i am a bastard child. i am not offended by it any more than i would be offended by being called a Caucasian. It is a word with a definition, that should not be offensive. i sometimes think some people are way too easily offended these days.

Giant Speck
April 30th, 2010, 04:57 AM
If you don't like it, then I doubt you'd enjoy using The GIMP.

CharlesA
April 30th, 2010, 04:58 AM
THIS ^^^^

A simple word should not be offensive. Its a WORD. I actually am a bastard, in the usual sense. I was born out of wedlock, so technically i am a bastard child. i am not offended by it any more than i would be offended by being called a Caucasian. It is a word with a definition, that should not be offensive. i sometimes think some people are way too easily offended these days.

You Caucasian you! *shakes fist* :P

People do take words too seriously sometimes and will get offended by the most mundane things.

antenna
April 30th, 2010, 05:00 AM
The whole concept of swear words is a bit odd really, silly humans.

Anyway, probably more people have seen it in this thread than would of noticed in the game ;)

swoll1980
April 30th, 2010, 05:06 AM
You Caucasian you! *shakes fist* :P

People do take words too seriously sometimes and will get offended by the most mundane things.

It's not their fault. For some reason they were trained from birth to be offended by such things, and they will train their children to be offended, and so on. It's the great cycle of offense.

Shambler2
April 30th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Just noticed this is on my openSUSE box as well =D

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 30th, 2010, 05:17 AM
This doesn't bother me in the slightest. Bastard is the "cuss" word I use when I want to insult someone in a playful way.

mobilediesel
April 30th, 2010, 05:30 AM
There's no such thing as a "bad" word or a "good" word. A word can only be offensive if someone wants to be offended by it.

Luke has no name
April 30th, 2010, 06:03 AM
A shiny penny I bet on the fact that this application is in universe, not main, too.

Merk42
April 30th, 2010, 06:12 AM
A shiny penny I bet on the fact that this application is in universe, not main, too.

You lose that shiny penny.
Not only is Quadrapassel in main, it's in a default install of 10.04

chessnerd
April 30th, 2010, 06:23 AM
There's no such thing as a "bad" word or a "good" word. A word can only be offensive if someone wants to be offended by it.

To some degree I can see this, its like the word "*****rd," (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*****rd) which is often misinterpreted as a racist term despite the fact it has a completely different etymology.

On the other hand, a professional-grade company would never have a slogan like "We aren't *****rds when it comes to quality."

I don't think "Bastard-Mode" is an offensive name. I do think it is unprofessional.

conradin
April 30th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Fundamental I am a bastard and am offended that non Bastards find my existence so offensive. Marriage just isn't important enough to warrant its own curse word. I understand professionalism is often used to condone discrimination regarding my people. I recommend a more "professional" alternative like mongrel, bogus, Diddlysquat or scratch. That way persons with limited vocabularies wont know to be offended.

But now I'm curious, what sort of professional is playing games at work?

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 30th, 2010, 06:53 AM
80% of them?

Chrysantine
April 30th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I often play a quick game or two to clear my thoughts when I'm doing something extremely complex - it helps concentration when I'm tangled in some problem.

phrostbyte
April 30th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Somewhat unrelated, but has ANYONE beat the computer in Four-In-A-Row? Is it even possible? How do the I turn off the Bastard Mode in that game? :(

mobilediesel
April 30th, 2010, 07:02 AM
To some degree I can see this, its like the word "*****rd," (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*****rd) which is often misinterpreted as a racist term despite the fact it has a completely different etymology.
The other word starting with the same few letters is simply an adjective for the color black. It only became offensive because someone wanted it to be.

On the other hand, a professional-grade company would never have a slogan like "We aren't *****rds when it comes to quality."

I don't think "Bastard-Mode" is an offensive name. I do think it is unprofessional.
Since it is a game, I can't imagine how professional it needs to be.

Fundamental I am a bastard and am offended that non Bastards find my existence so offensive. Marriage just isn't important enough to warrant its own curse word. I understand professionalism is often used to condone discrimination regarding my people. I recommend a more "professional" alternative like mongrel, bogus, or scratch. That way persons with limited vocabularies wont know to be offended.
As long as there are people who are ignorant of speech patterns other than their own, there will be people who are offended by something silly.

conradin
April 30th, 2010, 07:03 AM
80% of them?

I See. Well Then, this is a serious issue. Ill post something to the sandbox on ubuntu brainstorm.
How can we remove games on professionals computers?

chucky chuckaluck
April 30th, 2010, 07:24 AM
why would free software have to be professional?

Bachstelze
April 30th, 2010, 07:28 AM
How can we remove games on professionals computers?

sudo apt-get remove <games packages>

Penguin Guy
April 30th, 2010, 07:37 AM
There is a bug in Launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-games/+bug/508214) and upstream (https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=607198). In both, the importance is marked very low.

Somewhat unrelated, but has ANYONE beat the computer in Four-In-A-Row? Is it even possible? How do the I turn off the Bastard Mode in that game? :(
I asked the same question a while ago. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1454432)

Khakilang
April 30th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Stick and stone may break my bone. But words don't hurt me.

Berk
April 30th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Just posting to say that I find it quite amusing that the word the OP is offended by is being used as a tag for this thread. :D

quinnten83
April 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
THIS ^^^^

What????
You're caucasian????
You bastard!!!

:lolflag:
Yeah, really and a such a word as bastard which is very commonly used on television should not be considered offensive in an environment where the people are known to be a bit edgy when it comes to the use of language....

Grenage
April 30th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I find gnomes offensive, you don't see me bitching.

Viva
April 30th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Regardless of the moral arguments, I think it is extremely unprofessional to use such language in a product used by millions.

zephyrblade
April 30th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I find the word 'ROOT' offensive. Linux should be banned.

KiwiNZ
April 30th, 2010, 10:37 AM
OK again the word "bastard" has many meanings

There is even a file called a Flat bastard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_(tool) http://www.genuinebellinger.com/flatbastard.html

People Get over it.

cascade9
April 30th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I find the word 'ROOT' offensive. Linux should be banned.

:lolflag:

I bet that most of people who would get this would be from NZ or Australia.

OK again the word "bastard" has many meanings

There is even a file called a Flat bastard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_(tool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_%28tool))

People Get over it.

Not that often I agree with you KiwiNZ...this time, 100% agrement ;)

tica vun
April 30th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I am SHOCKED and OUTRAGED by this blatant, offensive language. I want my money back!

oh, wait...

Paqman
April 30th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I bet that most of people who would get this would be from NZ or Australia.

They're also well known for using "bastard" as a term of endearment:

"Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?" (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10486188)

;)

madnessjack
April 30th, 2010, 11:32 AM
In the UK, it's considered a swearword. It gets bleeped out on TV and Radio etc. In the US, I'm not sure it's as bad. Kinda like bitch and [donkey as in backside] aren't bleeped off in UK radio edits, but they are from the US. I'm willing to put it down to cultural differences.

cascade9
April 30th, 2010, 11:38 AM
They're also well known for using "bastard" as a term of endearment:

"Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?" (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10486188)

;)

Its not a term of enderment? Opps, I was a bit of a bastard someone the other day then :lolflag:

There is a fine line between insult and joke here (as anywhere). I can say exactly the same thing to somebody, if it is insulting or not is totally in the tone used. ;)

*edit- which is why I have to be careful on the internet, stuff I say every day in real life can be considered very insulting on the internets. Even with judiciously placed smilies :-\"

Grenage
April 30th, 2010, 11:46 AM
In the UK, it's considered a swearword. It gets bleeped out on TV and Radio etc. In the US, I'm not sure it's as bad. Kinda like bitch and [donkey as in backside] aren't bleeped off in UK radio edits, but they are from the US. I'm willing to put it down to cultural differences.

I'm in the UK, and I've never heard bastard referred to as a swear word, ever.

Ever heard of a Bastard File? I had audio books when I was a child, from the children's section of the library, that used the word.

If bastard is a swear word now (if it really is considered one), then it will be for the same reason spastic is considered an offensive word. That reason being, people are idiots and they're just looking for things to moan about. The entire concept of a word being offensive is ludicrous, it's perpetuated by the same people who think it's 'wrong' to refer to a black person as black.

gnomeuser
April 30th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Regardless of the moral arguments, I think it is extremely unprofessional to use such language in a product used by millions.

How so, it is a perfect legitimate word, it perfectly describes the function. There is nothing offensive about it unless one already subscribes to the idea that certain words are "bad".

I guess one could change it to "intentionally pick upcoming pieces in the most incompatible fashion with currently available spaces" but honestly "bastard mode" is so much more to the point.

If we were to have to show this degree of protectionism towards peoples sensitivities I think we could spend a whole cycle doing nothing but political correctness changes.

Regardless if you feel strongly about it, you can file a bug to have to changed to "Added difficulty". This I would support on the grounds of usability and nothing else. Bastard mode is hard to translate well and the meaning while it carries well in English is not certain to do so in all languages.

ParadoxBlue
April 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Get over yourselves people and please bend over and remove that huge stick from your posteriors. Refer to post #9 by KiwiNZ. There is nothing offensive here unless you are looking to be offended. I'm surprised no one has said "Oh what about the children!" yet. Children should be instructed in the ways of profanity by someone who loves them. You don't want them picking that stuff up on the street do you? As a child I always had trouble with the classic F.U. hand gesture until my older brother was kind enough to show me the way it's properly done.

mmix
April 30th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Ridiculous! Get over it.
Even, there is dissembler which name is "bastard".
http://bastard.sourceforge.net/

#who's behind it?

# mammon_, mere coder
# ReZiDeNt, Militant Dairy Activist
# The Grugq, Chief Makefile Architect
# MO_K, MIA Libi386 Enthusiast
# a_p, Invisible Tester
# fbj, Visible Tester

madnessjack
April 30th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I'm in the UK, and I've never heard bastard referred to as a swear word, ever.

Ever heard of a Bastard File? I had audio books when I was a child, from the children's section of the library, that used the word.

If bastard is a swear word now (if it really is considered one), then it will be for the same reason spastic is considered an offensive word. That reason being, people are idiots and they're just looking for things to moan about. The entire concept of a word being offensive is ludicrous, it's perpetuated by the same people who think it's 'wrong' to refer to a black person as black.

You've never heard it used as a curse word? (Ouch! bastard thing!!; Let's get those bastards!; ...)

What about the context. I doubt "bastard mode" means anything specific. It's unessential and unprofessional at best. If I saw a spastic mode (like you said), I'm sure a law-suit would follow. (Think about the context.)

madnessjack
April 30th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Ridiculous! Get over it.
Even, there is dissembler which name is "bastard".
http://bastard.sourceforge.net/

It's hidden.

It's bad that people in this thread don't respect the views of others on this issue. We should cater for all.

Grenage
April 30th, 2010, 12:10 PM
You've never heard it used as a curse word? (Ouch! bastard thing!!; Let's get those bastards!; ...)

I've always considered it to be in the same 'category' as punk or swine. :)

Bachstelze
April 30th, 2010, 12:14 PM
We should cater for all.

Good luck with that.

bowens44
April 30th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I can't believe that people are actually whining about this. Amazing. If you find this offensive , don't go on the internet.

Seriously this a ridiculous complaint.

3rdalbum
April 30th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I thought it was unprofessional to ship a game of Tetris with a distribution that's intended for big enterprise customers :-)

Grenage
April 30th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Maybe there needs to be an Ubuntu PC (politically correct) edition. I'd suggest merging it into the Christian edition, but I'm sure Christians 'swear' with the best of us.

madnessjack
April 30th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I can't believe that people are actually whining about this. Amazing. If you find this offensive , don't go on the internet.

Seriously this a ridiculous complaint.

Fine, tell you're potential demographic to get lost. If making tiny change like this is gonna make a few people happy, and you don't understand it, and you refute it because you don't tolerate their beliefs, what's that saying about this community?

Seriously guys.

Grenage
April 30th, 2010, 12:37 PM
what's that saying about this community?

We're all about freedom; should that not include colourful language. A word won't molest your dog or corrupt your family - it's just a word.

Doctor Mike
April 30th, 2010, 12:38 PM
There was a prominent civil rights leader who was trying to give a speech (not far from where I live) about words and how we need to recognize the true meaning of these terms.

He began by saying that discrimination is not a bad word, not even a negative word... he never finished his speech.

The audience would have no more of him. His career was seriously damaged. The media hovered over it like it was a real issue and played the comments of the less informed over and over.

The word ****** is also not offensive by it's self, but in how it has been misused (pejorative (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pejorative)), see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******

If people seek the negative they will always find it. If people seek the positive they have to work a little harder.

I see the above word is autoedited which makes the point that prejudgment is the crux

madnessjack
April 30th, 2010, 12:40 PM
We're all about freedom; should that not include colourful language. A word won't molest your dog or corrupt your family - it's just a word.
True. But if a word or an implication has the potential to offend someone, then we shouldn't ridicule that person for being an "idiot". We should embrace and tolerate.

All that humanity stuff? Is humanity not about caring for others?

Grenage
April 30th, 2010, 12:45 PM
we shouldn't ridicule that person for being an "idiot".

I agree with that, people don't need to jump on others from great height, just because they don't agree with them.

Berk
April 30th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Humanity is about survival of the genes, all the cuddly stuff has been added afterwards.

This whole thing really is a non-issue, Canonical don't have perfect control over every application that goes into their distribution. Those that will get offended by this really do need to get their priorities in order, a word is nothing, especially in this context.
Is "Bastard mode" being used to incite people to hatred against bastards (or files), no, it's being used as a flowery description of the difficulty.

madnessjack, for someone who professes to be about caring for others and other peoples points of views, you still swear, maybe you should look to yourself first?

madnessjack
April 30th, 2010, 12:52 PM
madnessjack, for someone who professes to be about caring for others and other peoples points of views, you still swear, maybe you should look to yourself first?

I swear, I swear a heck of a lot. I have no problem with swearing of any kind or word or spoken noise. (Thanks for asking ;) )

But if I'm around folk who I do not know if they are offended by swearing or not, I will not swear, because I am aware it may offend others. I consider other people.

Berk
April 30th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Yet you still swore in a thread that was started by someone that purports to be offended by bad language.

madnessjack
April 30th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Yet you still swore in a thread that was started by someone that purports to be offended by bad language.
I was quite aware that the censors would filter it, but yes, I did, I don't claim to be perfect.

forrestcupp
April 30th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I used to use a flat bastard file at my old job to file metal flashing off of intake manifolds.

Anyway, "bastard" isn't offensive because Ubuntu Forums says that it isn't. If "bastard" were offensive, it would be censored. :)

iponeverything
April 30th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Who on earth thought it was a good idea to include "Bastard" by default on an OS 'for humans'?

Offensive? humm.. Are you also offended by the "kill" command, daemons, zombies or the prospect of terminating orphan processes? How about "chmod 666"? How about great bash builtin "disown" and the fsck command?

does 'for humans' == 'obnoxiously pc'?

Something tells me you are just pulling our leg.

ParadoxBlue
April 30th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Maybe there needs to be an Ubuntu PC (politically correct) edition. I'd suggest merging it into the Christian edition, but I'm sure Christians 'swear' with the best of us.
Christians are actually quite good at 'swearing' but if they go to church at least once a week then anything that they do is ok.

Brent0
April 30th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Christians are actually quite good at 'swearing' but if they go to church at least once a week then anything that they do is ok.
Please don't bring religion into this thread. And you are 100% wrong.

nerdopolis
April 30th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Offensive? humm.. Are you also offended by the "kill" command, daemons, zombies or the prospect of terminating orphan processes? How about "chmod 666"? How about great bash builtin "disown" and the fsck command? You left you the killall command! That one's even worse!

madnessjack
April 30th, 2010, 02:11 PM
does 'for humans' == 'obnoxiously pc'?

No, it's about respecting people's views. I always thought bastard was a swearword (and where I come from, it is considered to be). Am I obnoxious, or do I have a different view to yourself?

unknownPoster
April 30th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I assume you haven't heard of the esoteric programming language called Brain****.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain****

It's easily available in the Ubuntu Repositories... I don't see how you can make the argument of morality and professionalism in Free Software. If you're against this type of thing, you should also be against Ubuntu Christian Edition, Ubuntu Muslim Edition, and Ubuntu Satanic Edition. (I'm not bringing religion into this. I'm trying to argue that Censorship is a double-edged sword.)

sudoer541
April 30th, 2010, 03:15 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW come on!!! is just a word!!!:P
I think even software language etc has to be politically correct!!! if not, then its gonna offend tons of people!!!

Good day, and remember "We all love you!!!":P

Uncle Spellbinder
April 30th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I took my female dog in for a checkup and the vet called her a bitch, I am very offended and am seeking another veterinary physician
Well said!

The word bastard is NOT a curse word. Nor is bitch.

MaxIBoy
April 30th, 2010, 04:09 PM
The GIMP was named for the purpose of making fun of disabilities. GNOME exists to make light of Celtic religious beliefs, whereas Evolution is a conspiracy to discredit Christianity. Also, what kind of cruel person could set a fox on fire, or freeze a weasel, or bag up a brine shrimp and sell it with a tank?!

Life is offensive. Deal with it.

Shakz
April 30th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Sorry....this country is way too uptight. Some folks need a little tolerance. I mean everyone gets offended soooooooooooooooooooooooo ridiculously easily these days. Everything's gotta be so damned politically correct all the time. I think some folks just wake up in the morning and look for stuff to be offended about. If you have ever said bastard or any other curse word for that matter...why the heck are you gonna get offended. Rhetorical question...don't answer.

RELAX! Enjoy Life and stop looking for stuff to get pissed off about.

Shakz
April 30th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Sorry....this country is way too uptight. Some folks need a little tolerance. I mean everyone gets offended soooooooooooooooooooooooo ridiculously easily these days. Everything's gotta be so damned politically correct all the time. I think some folks just wake up in the morning and look for stuff to be offended about. If you have ever said bastard or any other curse word for that matter...why the heck are you gonna get offended. Rhetorical question...don't answer.

RELAX! Enjoy Life and stop looking for stuff to get pissed off about.

EDIT: Damn I bit...I bet this was just troll bait. Ill go hang in general help for a while.

doas777
April 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM
the word 'bastard' is non-offensive in this century.

alexfish
April 30th, 2010, 04:32 PM
What is bastard mode?

Kill The Enemy
Kill Them All
Kill
Kill
Kill
Kill

Until your sick as one

RE: This is Acceptable , and extremely Professional

addendum:

report the bug ; to launchpad.net

for the bug assignee : append with ger and get launched into space ; whoopee Cheap way to travel or not :lolflag:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugger

charlesying
April 30th, 2010, 04:37 PM
OR it is a trick to attract traffic otherwise why you should anyone use that word in that way

madnessjack
April 30th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I must be missing something. I saw no-where in the original post where the guy asked the UF communities opinions on the offensiveness of the word "bastard".

Uncle Spellbinder
April 30th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I must be missing something. I saw no-where in the original post where the guy asked the UF communities opinions on the offensiveness of the word "bastard".

The OP's choice of thread title and comment in initial post are blanket statements. By definition, inviting comments and opinions. Not to comment or share an opinion would be absurd.

snerd
April 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Damn feel-good whiney little liberal snots. Always looking to be offended. Please don't hurt my little feelings, please? Of all the things happening in the world today, that's what bothers you the most?

:-({|=

clanky
April 30th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Because crappy games packaged with an OS == serious business, right?

iponeverything
April 30th, 2010, 04:55 PM
No, it's about respecting people's views. I always thought bastard was a swearword (and where I come from, it is considered to be). Am I obnoxious, or do I have a different view to yourself?

Bastard is no more swearword in the UK as in the US. I don't consider you obnoxious. If you are offended the word, well, I would consider you bit thin-skined, but not obnoxious. I do find mock outrage a bit juvenile (not talking about you, but about the title of the tread)

Fortunately, because Linux is not owned by anyone -- we don't have worry about a coalition of concerned mothers deciding what software will or will not be available for my system.

derrick81787
April 30th, 2010, 05:01 PM

I agree. That game is ridiculously hard, if not impossible. I quit playing it a long time ago because it was actually making me angry.

brian183
April 30th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I hope who ever manages bug reports sets any bug report related to this to "Won't Fix". It's a game and the language makes sense as it is.

philinux
April 30th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Thread closed. Run it's course.