PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What I LOVE about Ubuntu 10.04

orphanlast
April 30th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Wow, I spent two days just trying to get Ubuntu 9.10 to play quicktime. I decided to start fresh with my install of ubuntu 10.04 (didn't have any important information on my computer anyways).

When I got onto apple.com and it noticed that the computer was trying to run a file type that it didn't recognize, it zeroed in on the program it needed to install and it worked. It just works. I really liked how Windows Vista would just find codecs and various file types that it didn't recognize and the Ubuntu team REALLY delivered when they put this thing into effect.

This will SERIOUSLY reduce the amount of Googling and researching and asking questions, looking at tutorials, and etc.

Everyone that I've met that has gotten frustrated with Linux (myself included) all say the same thing. "I HATE researching tons of information, just to open a file that would normally take two clicks of the left mouse button on any other operating system.)

I really feel as though Ubuntu stepped it up when they put this in. This will make the average user (and experienced user) do far less work in order to accomplish menial tasks.

I'm a real noob when it comes to Ubuntu and I've only had the new version for about three hours and, right now, it looks nothing like I want it to. Synaptic is downloading a small bit of information and since its servers are overloaded it'll take 4 hours to download it all -- but I'm just SO VERY HAPPY that things are getting resolved with this thing.

SHAZAM!

lazymangaka
April 30th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Amen to that one. My transition from ******* to Linux has been extremely smooth because of how well-made Ubuntu is these days. When I first messed around with an install in 2006 or so I found myself pretty much completely lost almost the entire time. These days, everything more or less just works.

Kudos, Ubuntu.

orphanlast
April 30th, 2010, 07:49 AM
By the way, I LOVE your blue screen of death avatar. It makes all happies.

orphanlast
May 2nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
For all the new comers to Ubuntu, and for those that have or will be making the switch to Ubuntu 10.04. I found this really helpful website. Just skim through it to find out if any of this is important and that you might need it.

There's a section where it explains that you might want to get the "restricted extras" and that'll help your computer run all sorts of programs that you'll be running into in the future.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1h3jQ0/blog.thesilentnumber.me/2009/09/top-things-to-do-after-installing.html