PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] What's the point?

keljaden
April 29th, 2010, 11:09 PM
/vent

:Okay so through my linux journy this is what I have come to understand from DE's...

If you are running an old machine you should use a lightweight DE, well lxde and fluxbox seem to have that covered very well, why have xfce anymore? Xfce appears to be as bloated as gnome, and just as uglier.

As for people with a normal "modern" machine they are given gnome or kde.
Before KDE 4.4 I could not understand why anyone would want the sluggish and IMO UGLY DE. Now the opposite has happened. So why do we still have gnome? I myself find gnome to be less customizable; I do not feel as productive, it has HORRIFIC pointer acceleration options, ccsm(as of 10.04) has about the safe number of effects as kwin now (and at a much worse quality I might add).

Why is there still gnome? I gave gnome shell a try and I didn't love it, I will give it another go on the release, but that seem to be lagging behind the awesomeness of KDE, gnome doesn't even offer Kompose'...which is just pathetic.

It seems to me like a few "minor" differences made devs to decide to stretch themselves thin. And compiz is going in the wrong direction, I have lost all hope in the devs there.

Oh and someone forgot to tell conical that the buttons go on the right side of the window, not on the left. We are switching to the shell, you aren't going to put anything on the right side because you will have an entire different layout by then...it's like they didn't even think that through.

I understand linux is about choice, but I think we are spreading the developers a little too thin and people need to let outdated things die and work on something else.