PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Karmic to Lucid Upgrade Stalls

plasmoidal
April 29th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Specifically, after downloading the necessary packages, they get unpacked up through package "tzdata", at which point the following appears:

Processing triggers for man-db...
Processing triggers for doc-base...
Processing 2 changed doc-base file(s)...
Registering documents with scrollkeeper...

At which point the upgrade stalls (just blinking cursor at the console, not frozen), and I'm unable to stop it (even with ctrl-alt-C). Has anyone encountered a similar problem, and/or know a way to safely stop the upgrade (it doesn't look like it's actually installed any of the unpacked packages yet)?

Thank you.

plasmoidal
April 29th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Probably on a related note, the desktop is broken as well--I can't open any new nautilus windows and if I open up a new console, it is entirely unresponsive (I try to type, but nothing appears). Other applications seem unaffected (e.g., Gedit works just fine).

Maliron
April 29th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Not to tag-along off of your post, but I have a similar problem.

During my upgrade the unpacking and everything went fine. It was during the "Installing Packages" portion, when it got to the linux-headers, the entire system froze. No mouse, no caps-lock, nothing. I left it there for about half an hour and nothing progressed. I had no choice but to shut the system down....

Obviously I don't have a working system now, and have no idea how to go about fixing.

Anyone have any starting points, or are we both destined to fresh installs?

***EDIT***
I should note, that I cannot even boot into the recovery console. I am booted to a liveUSB of 10.04 right now.

Maliron
April 29th, 2010, 11:41 PM
From my liveUSB I've chroot'ed over to my install and I am trying the following.

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get --fix-missing

/crossing_my_fingers

plasmoidal
April 30th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I just did the same thing and got karmic back up and running, minus some config files. I very much hope things are going well on your end--there are few things scarier than a broken OS!

Thanks.

Maliron
April 30th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Glad to hear the good news! Mine is a bit more sorted. It seems the upgrade got a lot further than I thought. The above steps got me a semi booting system again. I get the Lucid boot splash, but it hangs and says:

"An error occurred while mounting /proc/bus/usb"

It gives me the option to S Skip or M Manual recovery. Hopefully I can figure out what's causing that to not mount and maybe be in luck here. When I get a chance though I think this system is destined for an entire rebuild, they never seem to run right after something like this.

joham34
April 30th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Glad to hear the good news! Mine is a bit more sorted. It seems the upgrade got a lot further than I thought. The above steps got me a semi booting system again. I get the Lucid boot splash, but it hangs and says:

It gives me the option to S Skip or M Manual recovery. Hopefully I can figure out what's causing that to not mount and maybe be in luck here. When I get a chance though I think this system is destined for an entire rebuild, they never seem to run right after something like this.

Have exactly the same problem . In /etc/fstab , the last line says :
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0
presumably the correction should be done there but I am too newbie to change fstab.
Help please !

Dubbayoo
April 30th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Same here. For my system that last line was added for VirtualBox. I commented it out and everything is fine now.

fred0310
April 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Same problem while booting... :
S skip to continue or M to manual

What to do to resolve this ?

Thanks

kenbaldwin
May 1st, 2010, 03:31 PM
Same problem while booting...
Doesn't seem to have any effect I can detect. USB mouse and external drive work fine.
Fix anyone? Thanks

kenbaldwin
May 1st, 2010, 03:36 PM
It was a problem with a previous install of VirtualBox. This worked for me
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9209373

Ken

Amydale
May 1st, 2010, 08:23 PM
it works for me too
Thks !
:P

Maliron
May 3rd, 2010, 07:41 PM
Yah, I remember having to add that "hack" for VirtualBox a while ago. It's good to know that it is no longer needed, because I ended up commenting the line out of my fstab as well.

The lappy boots now, and even though it says there are no packages that need updating, I don't know how much I can trust that the install of 10.04 went correctly, with the crash and all. The laptop seems to be running fine, but I think just to be safe I am going to do a fresh install of Lucid on there. It's a pain, but this thing has survived 2 or 3 drive crashes and has lasted several Ubuntu upgrades, so I think it's time for a fresh start anyways. :sad:

joham34
May 5th, 2010, 01:18 PM
As I saw from other forums, one just have to comment ( put a # in the beginning of,) list line , the one that says ¨ none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0 ¨ in /etc/fstab and the problem is solved (at least for me)

maxideci
May 26th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Hi All,

My up-gradation to Lucid is stuck at 'Configuring mysql-server 5.1'

11 mins to go.

attached is the screen shot.

Thanks and waiting for expert comments.

Cheers!!

maxideci
May 26th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Hi All,

My up-gradation to Lucid is stuck at 'Configuring mysql-server 5.1'

11 mins to go.

attached is the screen shot.

Thanks and waiting for expert comments.

Cheers!!

Hi all,

I worked it out, just stopped mysql daemon. Its moving ahead now.
:)

Cheers!!