PDA

View Full Version : Whatever Happened To The Fast Bootup They Were Boasting For Lucid?

DasFox
April 29th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I thought one of the big things coming for Lucid was 10 seconds bootups.

It was after all the propaganda being spread in the beginning when Lucid was in development, so what happened to it? I certainly don't have a laptop that boots this fast, more like the typical bootups of any distro, big disappointment I was really looking forward to this new future that never came. :(

THANKS

barney385
April 29th, 2010, 10:48 PM
It is Way faster now.

Sub101
April 29th, 2010, 10:49 PM
It is Way faster now.

I find it considerably faster also.

Is it hanging for you at any point?

antenna
April 29th, 2010, 10:51 PM
It's very fast here, maybe not 10 seconds, but not far off.

cariboo
April 29th, 2010, 10:51 PM
10 seconds boot times were a target for netbooks with an SSD. My desktops boot between 15-16 seconds. You have to reboot at least twice after each update in order for ureadahead to rebuild the pack files.

2hot6ft2
April 29th, 2010, 10:54 PM
They were shooting for 10. Mine was right at 20 with the beta, it will be a couple weeks before I do the upgrade to see what it will be in the final.
20 works fine for me. I'm not in that big of a rush.

kevin11951
April 29th, 2010, 10:54 PM
10 seconds boot times were a target for netbooks with an SSD. My desktops boot between 15-16 seconds. You have to reboot at least twice after each update in order for ureadahead to rebuild the pack files.

Why do you have to reboot twice?

DasFox
April 29th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Ok I'll have a look again, installing the final now, but as a mini install this time...

THANKS

th5th
April 29th, 2010, 10:57 PM

to rebuild the pack files.

Also Google (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ureadahead).

Edit: In before Bolvadur :guitar:

Bölvağur
April 29th, 2010, 10:58 PM

in order for ureadahead to rebuild the pack files.

it's a program which you can read about here on the forums. they explain it better than I could, so please go search for it :)

speedwell68
April 29th, 2010, 11:01 PM
My 9.10 install on my desktop booted, from the Acer splash screen and after some tweaking, to a working desktop in 28.12 seconds. I haven't timed Lucid yet and TBH haven't finished tweaking in, but it is noticeably faster than karmic.

thatguruguy
April 29th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I thought one of the big things coming for Lucid was 10 seconds bootups.

It was after all the propaganda being spread in the beginning when Lucid was in development, so what happened to it? I certainly don't have a laptop that boots this fast, more like the typical bootups of any distro, big disappointment I was really looking forward to this new future that never came. :(

THANKS

I'm pretty sure that the 10-second boot target was for netbooks using SSDs. Are you using a netbook with an SSD?

oboedad55
April 29th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I'm running a Pentium 4 and my boot times with Lucid RC are in the 15 second range. I don't have an issue with linux boot times in general as I don't boot my computer that often. Compared to 4-5 minutes for XP on a fairly new laptop Ubuntu is first-class.

sydbat
April 29th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I'm waiting for the "precognitive" boot...the one that anticipates me using my computer...:)

KiwiNZ
April 29th, 2010, 11:46 PM
How many times a day do people reboot their PC's/Laptops/Netbooks that the difference between 10 seconds or 15 seconds, 15 seconds or 25 seconds makes such an impact on their lives ?:confused:

Teber
April 29th, 2010, 11:51 PM
upgraded to lucid. i herewith testify booting is awesome fast after a couple of reboots!

one issue with firefox not booting. resolved by removing one plugin. the silverlight replacement, i think it's called moonlight or something?

otherwise everything seems to function just fine.

Matthewthegreat
April 29th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I get 8-11 seconds on my desktop but I have a ssd. The goal was 10 seconds on a sdd not a spinning drive!

Knowle
April 30th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Boot time has definitely improved for me. I love it but it was also never really an issue for me either. So...

mamamia88
April 30th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Boot time has definitely improved for me. I love it but it was also never really an issue for me either. So...

yep doesn't really matter to me either i boot my laptop cold maybe once every 2-3 weeks