PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean Install Keeping Existing Home Folder

mattlopezdias
April 29th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I have for a few years now always done my version upgrade the same way, keeping the same /home folder partition but doing a fresh install into a new partition but keeping the old /home folder.

This time this has not worked, now neither 9.10 nor 10.04 boots cleanly, 9.10 has graphics problems, and 10.04 displays no frames on program windows.

Please help.

drreed
April 29th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I have for a few years now always done my version upgrade the same way, keeping the same /home folder partition but doing a fresh install into a new partition but keeping the old /home folder.

This time this has not worked, now neither 9.10 nor 10.04 boots cleanly, 9.10 has graphics problems, and 10.04 displays no frames on program windows.

Please help.

I can't imagine what could be in a /home that would cause that. I can't answer this but I will look around on my system and see if I can't figure out what happened. I do the same thing, until today. I hear the upgrade servers are swamped .

Hmmm, did you just do this? I wonder if your problem is due to some download problem from busy servers. Some people are getting messages that they can't connect. If you did this today, I'd be willing to bet that's the problem. I don't know what to do about it now though, unless it means install fresh from a CD, and move /home somewhere safe first.

nightuihdn
January 12th, 2011, 03:43 AM
It is exactly what I need, Now I understand more about it, Many thanks (http://www.changeformat.net/change-avi-format/change-avi-to-archos-av700.html) to your description! It's very valuable.