PDA

View Full Version : Are LTS releases better for gaming and driver support?

dado prso
April 29th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I'm just wondering.

andrewabc
April 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM
What kind of games?
Mainstream games? No, it's linux.

Driver support? Depends on your hardware.

Is it better than previous ubuntu versions? Technically yes.

dado prso
April 29th, 2010, 10:11 PM
What kind of games?
Mainstream games? No, it's linux.

Driver support? Depends on your hardware.

Is it better than previous ubuntu versions? Technically yes.

Sorry, I see how my statement was not specific.

Are LTS versions better than non LTS for gaming and driver support?

ttshivers
April 29th, 2010, 10:16 PM

I know that LTS have longer support.

DasFox
April 29th, 2010, 10:42 PM

No they don't because LTS simply means Long Term Support is all, but there could be slight improvements as they do change and update the system and bug fixes etc, but you are still using the same drivers for Nvidia and ATI.

We'll have a better gaming experience in Linux when drivers are free and open not proprietary.

murderslastcrow
April 29th, 2010, 11:09 PM
They're mainly for improved stability and less experimentation with packages and drivers. So, technically, if you're using an open source video driver, it'd be more beneficial to use a newer, more experimental distribution.

Games are good for LTS releases mainly because many games are built for an LTS, but using the next version rarely breaks the compatibility with the packages and whatnot. For instance, Skype makes debs for the latest LTS, but you can install them in any version of Ubuntu since then.

It's more about stability and giving businesses a longer cycle to train employees and keep packages/features easy to manage than it is about specific support. Some software developers just target LTS releases, but it's usually not going to break any compatibility or usability with a newer version.

RiceMonster
April 29th, 2010, 11:53 PM
They're the same as any other release. They just have a longer support cycle.

ssri
April 30th, 2010, 12:08 AM
They're the same as any other release. They just have a longer support cycle.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

Not just a longer support cycle, as Canonical, for LTS releases, usually pulls from the stable, yet somewhat up-to-date, testing branch of Debian rather than from the unstable branch (Sid).