PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 -> 10.4 upgrade report

mtwomey
April 29th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I upgraded successfully from 9.10 to 10.4 with no major issues today. Some details:

* I was running 9.10 desktop 64bit
* My installation was onto a LUKS encrypted volume
* Before starting the system was fully "up to date" as far as patches go (I don't know if this matters)
* I performed the upgrade with the button in "Update Manager" tool

In general I was mostly able to continue working on the system while it was upgrading. Things started to get a little "goofy" toward the end of the upgrade process (surely due to all the libraries, packages, files that had been replaced).

It took about an hour and twenty minutes. I haven't experienced any major issues, but a couple of minor ones so far:

* I had to uninstall and then manually reinstall Virtualbox (with the actual .deb file - because Virtualbox does not yet have a lucid .deb). It was complaining that it couldn't find the virtual ethernet adapter. I was using the non-OSE edition.
* I had to reinstall my Nvidia X Server Settings tool.

Other than that, so far all is well. Some things that appear to continue to work fine after the upgrade:

* My openvpn setup
* My Gnome toolbars

-M

Asmodai
April 29th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Good to know. It would be nice to see some more reports. I would like to upgrade, but can't really afford to mess up my system... however if most people have no problems, I'm going to give it a try.

devnuller
April 29th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Good to know. It would be nice to see some more reports. I would like to upgrade, but can't really afford to mess up my system... however if most people have no problems, I'm going to give it a try.

I successfully completed two 9.10 to 10.04 upgrades from the update manager (alt-F2 "update-manager -d")

Unlike the original poster I had no issues with my native x86 install (Dell Dimension 5100 - no change to the factory config other than a Netgear WMP54G). With my virtual instance (VirtualBox 3.1.6 on OS X 10.5) I had to reinstall the vboxadditions drivers but that was to be expected with a new kernel.

Each upgrade took no more than 90mins.

It may be worth noting that prior to each upgrade I made sure 9.10 was fully up to date via update manager before kicking off the upgrade.

abickerton
April 29th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks for posting. I'm watching this topic with interest as my PC simply cannot be broken after an upgrade.

infamous-online
April 29th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I just did a clean install from Ubuntu 9.04 to 10.04 and at first it gave me some strange errors, but I re-did and everything is working fine.

florus
April 29th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I have carried out a version upgrade on two computers, one desktop and one laptop. I had to manually install the Lightening to Thunderbird on my desktop, but it found my existing calender without any problem. Apart from that no problems, and a big improvement over Karmic.

HunkirDowne
April 29th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Apart from that no problems, and a big improvement over Karmic.

I have been beta-testing Kubuntu 10.04 and can say that KDE4 is much improved. I also spent some time with Xubuntu 10.04 beta and that too was quite an improvement over Karmic.

My only caveat is, and this may be just because the two testing laptops' peripherals are aged, I and a small handful of others had problems with Firefox add-ons crashing xorg-server. Although the patch wasn't ready before the release was frozen, I installed the patch and ultimately have a now stable system. Stable enough to give me confidence in torrenting three ISOs at one time (X/K/Ubuntu).

I'm excited!

GPU-P3: ATI Radeon M6 LY (not currently running so this is from mem).
GPU-P4: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 Go] (rev b2)
Kernel driver in use: nouveau
Kernel modules: nvidiafb, rivafb, nouveau

Really excited.

BTW, if you run into issues with Firefox crashing X, search Launchpad for bug #539772 and see if the bug description fits your situation. There's a patch on PPA and it's marked for 10.10 but certainly obtainable earlier than that for those that need it (why wait 6 months?).

Really, really excited.

Dramageek
April 30th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Upgrade on an old Inspiron 9100 laptop from 9.10:

Fully updated pre-upgrade.
Grabbed the alternate .iso via torrent (to save strain on the servers and because I have another system that also needs updating).
Update says it goes fine.
First reboot: Grub settings all correct (even with dual-boot!), but it goes to a blinking pink screen with random ASCII characters. Pressing (but not holding) power button shuts it down cleanly.
Boot to recovery option, use failsafe graphics: boots fine. I run update manager, and it says that I require a 'partial upgrade' with ~100 packages.
Partial Upgrade completes. Video still doesn't work after reboot, but going through the recovery option still works. Currently testing to see if it's this: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes#Working around bugs in the new kernel video architecture (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes#Working%20around%20bugs%20in%20the%20 new%20kernel%20video%20architecture)

Also, I had to reinstall Bluez. The taskbar icon said that bluetooth was disabled, but only gave me the option to turn it off. Opening the preferences panel gave me the 'Turn on' button, but it would just grey out when clicked and not change anything. Reinstall of bluez worked, and it's now working fine.

Edit: Nevermind on any of that 'fixed' stuff. It doesn't seem to be the bug mentioned in the release notes, and bluetooth quit working again on the next restart. Looks like this may be a long night. :(

Torqumada286
April 30th, 2010, 12:36 AM
My install took several hours and I got at least 16 bug error messages during the install. I might just back everything up and do a full, clean install. My video drivers aren't working properly with my Radeon 4870. I've been using Ubuntu since 7.10 and this has been my worst installation experience to date.

Torqumada

Kaner
April 30th, 2010, 01:14 AM
I just finished upgrading from Karmic Koala to Lucid Lynx and everything went flawlessly and took about an hour from start to finish. The only thing I had to do after wards was to re-designate my Bose speaker system as my default audio output and then do an extra reboot to resolve a few menu glitches.
A few initial observation...is it just me or is the initial 10.04 splash screen lame as hell. Also I thought the menu buttons were going to be on the left like on OSX, did Canonical have a change of heart?

OSLinuxFreak
April 30th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Just finished my upgrade to 10.04 and so far so good. The only thing i noticed is when the Grub menu comes up my Vista option changed from Vista to Windows recovery lol. But able to boot into both with no issues.

mikerobinson
April 30th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I just upgraded Kubuntu from 9.10 (with KDE 4.4 already) to 10.04 and I had the following issues:

1) I canceled the upgrader during download and it continued running in the background. This could really end up screwing up someone's system if they don't realize (which most wouldn't)

2) I had dovecot installed and it overwrote my dovecot.conf file without asking me. It then added 2 invalid entries that I commented out:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/dovecot restart
* Restarting IMAP/POP3 mail server dovecot
Error: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 90: Unknown setting: ssl_disable
Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

$ sudo /etc/init.d/dovecot restart
* Restarting IMAP/POP3 mail server dovecot Error: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 544: Unknown setting: login_greeting_capability
Fatal: Invalid configuration in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

3) Postfix isn't sending e-mails. I'll have to investigate this further to find out why not.

Other than this, everything else went surprisingly painlessly. The following things still worked for me:

* Proprietary ATI driver
* NX server/client
* Apache (kept old conf)
* MySQL (kept old conf)
* VirtualBox (without reinstalling kernel module)
* Audio

Also my CD burner (Plextor PX-712A) is now recognized in k3b. I was trying to use it last night for the first time after installing and it wasn't recognizing it.

aaahaaah
April 30th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Just upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 (Toshiba Satellite).
X11 does not start properly.
Before PC hangs, I see an overstretched logo XUBUNTU.
In the recovery mode I can select the option "one session low resolution", which is actually my normal resolution (1024x768). It works ... one session. In this session I can see 0 (zero) refresh rate of the monitor.
Obviously something wrong with X11. I have cleaned up /tmp directory, but this does not help.
The previous kernel does work, however I need the new one ...
I would appreciate any help.
Some directions are needed how to reconfigure X11 manually.
In the recovery mode, reconfiguration option does not work at all (it stucks in dialog when I press Ok).

cuberts
April 30th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I upgraded successfully from 9.10 to 10.4 with no major issues today. Some details:

* I was running 9.10 desktop 64bit
* My installation was onto a LUKS encrypted volume
* Before starting the system was fully "up to date" as far as patches go (I don't know if this matters)
* I performed the upgrade with the button in "Update Manager" tool

In general I was mostly able to continue working on the system while it was upgrading. Things started to get a little "goofy" toward the end of the upgrade process (surely due to all the libraries, packages, files that had been replaced).

It took about an hour and twenty minutes. I haven't experienced any major issues, but a couple of minor ones so far:

* I had to uninstall and then manually reinstall Virtualbox (with the actual .deb file - because Virtualbox does not yet have a lucid .deb). It was complaining that it couldn't find the virtual ethernet adapter. I was using the non-OSE edition.
* I had to reinstall my Nvidia X Server Settings tool.

Other than that, so far all is well. Some things that appear to continue to work fine after the upgrade:

* My openvpn setup
* My Gnome toolbars

-MYou shouldnt have to reinstall Virtual box, but if you choose to run it in Virtual mbox then you might

Toftevall
April 30th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I think the 10.4 is much better than 9.10. Now I have working sound!

But...:

When I upgraded I had to put in all the info about my e-mail account (password, servers...) again. Now I cant find my old e-mails! Are they lost forever or are they just hidden somewhere?

Pls help if you can, Martin

kweinert
April 30th, 2010, 04:06 PM
So far, complete failure.

Upon rebooting after the install (through the update manager) I got a message about one of my filesystems on the 2nd drive that couldn't be mounted.

Now, every time I reboot it gets to where the last message is about /media/IAUDIO7, something about fixing it and the system needs to reboot. Which it does. And then gets to the same point and does the same thing.

Multiple times.

I can't even boot into single user mode to try to edit my mounts.

Currently downloading an ISO image so I can live boot and try to fix it that way, but that won't happen for another 5 hours at the rates I'm getting.

Probably a minor issue, but annoying to fix :)

csevcik
April 30th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I just upgraded my HP Pavilion all in one desktop computer from 9.10 to 10.4. Seems to be working fine except for Firefox. When I run the Firefox installed by the upgrade it does not run. Firefox 3.6.3 downloaded from Mozilla (installed in /opt/firefox) runs fine (is what I am using right now). Here is what I get by typing firefox in my terminal window:

$ firefox
NPP_GetValue 1
NPP_GetValue 2
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library libXt.so [libXt.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libxul.so [/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libxul.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libmozjs.so [/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libmozjs.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libxpcom.so [/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libxpcom.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]
Attempting to load the system libmoon
Segmentation fault

I assume is a bug in the Ubuntu tailoring of Firefox

pauljwells
April 30th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Mixed results

Easy and perfect clean install dual booting with Win7 on my HP netbook :)

Absolutely disastrous upgrade (totally hosed) and utter failure on clean install (grub errors) on dual boot XP HP desktop, which has run every version of ubuntu from 5.04 without problems until now :(

EDIT: After a clean reinstall of XP and installing with the Alternate Install ISO I had no problems at all and now have a perfect netbook and a perfect dual-booting desktop. VERY happy :)

csevcik
April 30th, 2010, 04:30 PM
In regard with my message above the HP Pavilion runs two AMD 64 bit processors, don't know if it matters for the Ubuntu Firefox failure.

VValdo
May 3rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
I just upgraded Kubuntu from 9.10 (with KDE 4.4 already) to 10.04 and I had the following issues:
2) I had dovecot installed and it overwrote my dovecot.conf file without asking me. It then added 2 invalid entries that I commented out:

Yeah it does some strange stuff with dovecot.conf -- especially since I use dovecot with postfix and it's supposed to use dovecot-postfix.conf, but it's not, apparently.

The errors you got had to do with changes from dovecot 1.1 -> 1.2 as described here (http://wiki.dovecot.org/Upgrading/1.2). I just moved some "sieve" settings into the plugin {} section and got rid of some deprecated variables and changed "ssl_disable=no" to "ssl=yes". Now it works.

Funny thing though is I had to move dovecot-postfix.conf -> dovecot.conf. Whatever.

I post this for the benefit of anyone else who may be having issues.

W