PDA

View Full Version : The ubuntu 10.04 tour...

x-shaney-x
April 29th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I was checking out the tour on the ubuntu page now that Lucid is go.

I can't help draw attention to some of the things they are blowing their trumpet about and what I found out from trying myself on a fresh install:

1. Email and chat:
For a start, empathy still doesn't work with none hotmail msn accounts (including live hotmail accounts) unless the butterfly package is removed. This was the case through the beta and RC and is still the case now.
I noticed there are a lot of people having trouble with facebook chat also with empathy.

2. Social from the start:
I can't speak for twitter and others but gwibber is pointless with facebook. It doesn't update when you change your status most of the time, it doesn't update replies to statuses, it doesn't show images when you click the images icon, it only randomly shows replies and such when you click on the relevant icon.
It doesn't notify you of anything that happens. The only time I have had a notification for anything was when I clicked on "like" on a status and I got a notification telling me I had just clicked on like :|
Again, this was the case through the betas and still no improvement.

3. Mobilise your digital life!:
I haven't really had a chance to fully explore ubuntu one. Mainly because I have found the it completely random whether or not it decides to auto login or not and because of this I'm not sure I want to risk doing anything with it yet.

4. Make, play and edit video:
I don't normally use totem so wasn't even aware it plays youtube videos until I saw the tour so straight away I went to try it.
Tried searching for a video and got an error saying something about the server response not being understood and to check the version of libgdata.

5. Start fast with ubuntu:
Well it is certainly fast, one of Lucid's major plus points but it also shows the pretty splash image and many users are going to find themselves looking at a very different image, if any at all.
Along with many other users on the forum, I have had my fair share of plymouth problems, not just the splash image but frozen boots for no particular reasons.
It all seemed perfect on the missus' laptop but several boots later and now it is random whether or not an image shows.

It seems the tour is drawing attention to some of the buggier aspects I have found with Lucid.
I have done the fresh install on two computers with very different hardware and with completely clean home directories and found all the above problems on both of them.