PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation probs with Ubuntu 8.10, freezes and keybrd lights flash

aritramax
April 29th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hi, I am a new linux user and I am facing troubles installing it. I thought it could be a problem with Ubuntu disc, but almost the same thing happens when I try to install Mandriva 2007.
After selecting the partition, i select the e: drive as the swap... After it goes past the formatting, When it comes to copying files, it freezes in between and the keyboard lights keep flashing continuously.
Just as I said previously, I though it could be a problem with Ubuntu disc, but while installing Mandriva2007, the same thing happens although the lights dont flash on the keyboard.
I require dire help with it !!!! Please assist. :confused::(

I am using the UBUNTU desktop edition8.10. I can use it as Live CD fine and I am using internet on it currently.system specs: AMD Sempron2400+, 768mb Ram, VIA Chipset KT600, 40gb HDD, NVidia FX5500.. sorry the computer is a bit old.

drreed
April 29th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Hi,I though it could be a problem with Ubuntu disc, but while installing Mandriva2007, the same thing happens although the lights dont flash on the keyboard.
I require dire help with it !!!! Please assist. :confused::(

My instinct (whatevr that's worth) tells me you have a hardware problem.

You have a smallish hard drive, are you sure you allotted enough free space for this install?

If there isn't enough space to install everything, then any distro you try will do the exact same thing, unless it's really small or something, and then it wouldn't run very well anyway if there wasn't any space left.:)

aritramax
April 30th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I provided a drive of 9.3gb for installation of ubuntu and also a swap area of the same size.. Should that not be enough ?

kansasnoob
April 30th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure what the problem is but you'd be foolish to install 8.10. It reaches end of life in a day or two:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

As far as partition size you said:

I provided a drive of 9.3gb for installation of ubuntu and also a swap area of the same size.

9.3GB should be sufficient for Ubuntu but SWAP seldom need be larger than 1GB or slightly larger than total RAM.

aritramax
April 30th, 2010, 12:44 PM
This Ubuntu is an older version (v8.10 I mean) and doesnt install properly.. Should I consider using newer versions specially when the old one isnt going through well ??

Looking at the issue I am facing.. What else can you suggest that I should try.. any other distro like Gnewsense ..???
I am not sure as I am a newbie to Linux.. Gurus plz advice !!!