PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I upgrade from 9.04 (64 bit) to 10.04 (64 bit)

poldie
April 29th, 2010, 08:11 PM
The answer seems to be `yes, but a fresh install is better`. Why? That's a bit of a pain, to be honest. How bad could it be?

eyelessfade
April 29th, 2010, 08:20 PM
no and yes, you have to upgrade first from 9.04 to 9.10 and then from 9.10 to 19.04

poldie
April 29th, 2010, 11:19 PM
no and yes, you have to upgrade first from 9.04 to 9.10 and then from 9.10 to 19.04

Lol! I meant 9.10, and you meant 10.04 !

infamous-online
April 29th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Lol! I meant 9.10, and you meant 10.04 !

Looks like you both goofed up! :lolflag: Now to answer your question, I would rather do a clean install and backup all important data onto a flash drive or something else and start from scratch. That's what I did, and it took a total of 40 mins for both the install of the os and putting everything I had on my flash drive.

Icarus315
April 29th, 2010, 11:23 PM
If you have a lot of PPA's active and applications you've installed manually I'd do a fresh install. I know you're supposed to be fine but I've always had shivers go up my spine at the thought of upgrading in-place. I just did a fresh install of 10.04, always fresh installs for me! You could always partition your drive so that /home is on it's own? That could make fresh installs in the future a bit more painless?

poldie
April 29th, 2010, 11:46 PM
If you have a lot of PPA's active and applications you've installed manually I'd do a fresh install. I know you're supposed to be fine but I've always had shivers go up my spine at the thought of upgrading in-place. I just did a fresh install of 10.04, always fresh installs for me! You could always partition your drive so that /home is on it's own? That could make fresh installs in the future a bit more painless?

I've done a fresh install. It was a tedious 3 hours. First of all I had to download the ISO twice because somewhere during my backup/delete tidyup I deleted it! Then I had a cd drive problem, but I assumed it was the disk I used. The last blank CD I had! My laptop doesn't have a DVD burner so I had to install an older version of Ubuntu on my desktop to be able to burn a DVD (my desktop has a DVD burner) and it was then that I discovered that it wasn't the cd but the drive, so I had to dig out an old CD reader.

Still, it's done now, and I think I'm going to stick with this version of Ubuntu for the full 3 years! I'm getting too old for all this! :)