PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] nVidia Video Garbled after heavy load? Overheating?

yebo29
April 29th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Hello! Having an issue that I've been dealing with and seems to be known, but haven't necessarily seen a fix for. It has to do with my video getting all garbled every once in a while (two days in a row so far).

I can't seem to find a pattern to it in regards to time or a specific action, but have noticed (and read) that it seems to happen most often when my CPU fan starts spinning up or my laptop has been under heavy load. I've read that it's due to the laptop overheating, and that could very well be it as dmesg shows the Temp threshold has been reached. Buuuuuuuutttt: the laptop is not warm to the touch. I've touched all parts, too. The bottome, the top, etc, and no tangible signs of overheating - besides that console message.

My hardware is:

Intel Core i7 CPU
Ubuntu 9.04 (32-bit) - soon to be 10.04 64-bit :)
nVidia GeForce GTS 250M Cuda 1GB
2GB RAM

I've attached my dmesg output to this thread. Any ideas my dear hardware gurus?

yebo29
April 29th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Forgot to mention that issue is [temporarily] solved by logging out and logging back in. I tried to suspend and then wake up again, but it didn't fix the issue completely. Was able to save my documents, though :).

yebo29
April 30th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Anyone? [bump]