PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading to 10.04 stuck on 22 min left "preparing memtest86+" for 3 hours

dsamaha131
April 29th, 2010, 07:54 PM
so im installing 10.04 right now and in terminal it keeps loading the same script- "found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic
its been here for about 3 hours. is that normal? or how do i get out of it?
heres a screen shot

thanks

P4man
April 29th, 2010, 07:57 PM
nope, that cant be right. Is this a 10.04 RC -> LTS upgrade, or from 9.10 ?

andey
April 29th, 2010, 07:59 PM
suksss

dsamaha131
April 29th, 2010, 08:05 PM
im an idiot.
i upDATED 9.40 last night. but i guess i should have up dated 9.40 this morning too?
so i guess im gonna have to start all over.
could i abort terminal and start over without having to download the 10.04 upgrade again?
and any suggestions?
do i need to reinstall 9.40?
thanks
sorry my friend is teaching me about linux and ubuntu so im trying to get better and understanding how it works and what i can do with it.

dsamaha131
April 29th, 2010, 08:06 PM
its LTS

P4man
April 29th, 2010, 08:11 PM
There is no 9.40. There is a 9.04, and you cant upgrade that to 10.04 directly (nor should update manager suggest it or allow it). You can upgrade 9.04 to 9.10 and 9.10 to 10.04. What exactly did you try? Or did you run an upgrade without rebooting and then upgrade again?

Regardless, update manager should not allow you to make mistakes, so Im curious what you did exactly.

could i abort terminal and start over without having to download the 10.04 upgrade again?

Packages are cached, so I guess yes, but the question is if you can update at all. Also, depending what you did, its entirely possible your machine will not boot. If you have anything to back up, do it NOW (you should have before upgrading, but consider this your last warning :) )

catxk
April 29th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I got the exact same problem. Upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04, with a Wubi install upon Windows 7.

Any solution or course of action would be appreciated. Feels a bit risky to simply abort the upgrade half-way through. Thanks!

P4man
April 29th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Thats not good.. at all. Some googling suggests this bug has been around since beta:
http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9044763

That user could not reboot, he got a kernel panic.

So, back up what you need first.

Then, you will have no choice but to abort the upgrade. Kinda pointless to leave it like that for a few days. Dont reboot though.

Instead, open a terminal and type:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Try starting the upgrade again after that.

Honestly though, Im not too hopeful. I can only recommend to prepare for a reinstall and I would strongly suggest no to do a wubi install this time.

catxk
April 29th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for your reply. I will give it a try and report back how it goes.

P4man
April 29th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Also, may I suggest you copy the contents of

/var/log/installer/

to a stick or somewhere safe? If could be extremely useful for in a bug report. It wont solve your issue here and now, but at least lets make sure it does get fixed for others.

gluxon
April 29th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I just had the same exact problem.

Press Ctrl + C and abort the current operation. The installer then skips this step. I can't guarantee something bad won't happen for you though. :(

dsamaha131
April 30th, 2010, 02:05 AM
sorry, i was doing my math hw and i had numbers all jumbled in my head.
i updated the 9.10 files and i installed 10.04.
sorry

cuberts
April 30th, 2010, 02:07 AM
so im installing 10.04 right now and in terminal it keeps loading the same script- "found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic
its been here for about 3 hours. is that normal? or how do i get out of it?
heres a screen shot

thankswell try to wait a little longer and if it is still stuck then I think that you might as well cancel it and try it again :(

Rawrmage
April 30th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I don't know what to do but I wouldn't cancel it...
I cancelled it and now my machine won't boot.
I have the same type of set-up, a Wubi install from Vista.
If I manage to fix my machine I will post here how. Thanks.

dsamaha131
April 30th, 2010, 02:31 AM
did you cancel or abort?

dsamaha131
April 30th, 2010, 03:28 AM
ya yurr its working :D
:guitar:

jblaine271
April 30th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I'm having a similar problem... so what'd you do to get it working?

ebola1717
April 30th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I cancelled too (though unintentionally - i wanted to see if i could and meant to hit no). It's currently continuing the installation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Luckily I don't have any super critical files on it right now.

EDIT:
I just finished installing and rebooted. It seems to be working fine.

catxk
April 30th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Good for you! My installation got fried, so I'm starting over. It's fine though, as I only had the Wubi installation to familiarize myself with Ubuntu.

Let me just say this: I aborted the installation (killed the upgrade) and Ubuntu would not boot afterwards. Windows 7 obviously booted fine.

MarvinK
April 30th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Same problem here.
I'm running Wubi 9.10, installed in XP.
I couldn't boot that kernel properly either (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub-installer/+bug/387326).
Installation got stuck and I skipped the step with ctrl+c.
Installation went on and asked me to reboot.
I clicked ok and got a whole lot of blinking colorful pixels.
I shut my laptop down by holding the power button.
I turned my laptop on again and grub went to rescue mode upon starting.
I used the win XP CD to recover the MBR.
Rebooted
XP and Ubuntu were on the list but Ubuntu wouldn't start anymore (don't know the error anymore).
Removed Ubuntu in XP and now I'm downloading 10.04

dashingdon
May 1st, 2010, 11:45 PM
same issue ... stuck at "preparing memtest86+".

XP with wubi install of 9.10 gnome desktop. trying my luck by aborting the upgrade.

Will update the progress.

Update :
--> used CTRL +C to skip the step
--> Wizard continued with remaining steps
--> when asked for reboot , select reboot later
--> Open terminal and run "sudo dpkg --configure -a" Note : No output was generated
--> Reboot

:) .. I am on working 10:04 . However all windows are top aligned.. something for another thread.

Hope this helps

scvblwxq
May 3rd, 2010, 07:29 AM
My wubi upgrade also hung. I selected the window, pressed ctrl+c and nothing happened. I kept trying to cancel it then placed the cursor in the black pane of the window where the messages are and hit ctrl+c and it unfroze and is continuing the upgrade. Now "Debconf on ubuntu" is asking where to install GRUB and giving me 3 choices. What to do? I guess I'll look through the posts and see if anyone has an answer. Took Help's advice and installed GRUB to all 3 locations and the upgrade is running again with 1 hour to go. Finished in 20 minutes and restarted OK. Whew!

magicker
May 3rd, 2010, 09:19 AM
looks like the whole wubi thing has not been tested.. same probs here on both wubi and xp and wubi and windows 7...

the windows 7 install is dead cos i bottled it.
xp gets to live another day as i did the ctrl c thing and it went on... so far so good.. fingers crossed fro the reboot

liutszho
May 5th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Has this been solved?

I'm on a 9.10 wubi ubuntu and want to upgrade to 10.4.

I don't want to lose all my installed software/preferences by doing a clean install.

magicker
May 5th, 2010, 08:38 AM
i have failed to upgrade on 2 machines now :(

had to remove and reinstall... pita

catzlai
May 5th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Same problem. It cannot stop looking for linux image. It seems to be a problem with wubi only? I don't have this problem on my other desktop. :mad:

catzlai
May 5th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Oh dear. I pressed crtl+C and clicked yes. The installation continued and I installed GRUB on all the partitions. I thought it went ok so I didn't do sudo dpkg --configure -a.

Now when I can't reboot it and the GRUB rescue pops up. What can I do?

jarrarist
May 8th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I had 9.10 installed inside XP, it got broken after an upgrade few weeks ago, I got hopeless eventually and turned back to windows XP... now I uninstalled 9.10, installed it again from my 9.10 CD which I ordered by post (thank you guys), then after successful install I rebooted, entered Ubuntu, then upgraded to 10.04

got stuck at the same point with preparing memtest86+ and it keeps saying found the image...

pressed Ctrl+c, skipped and everything went fine, installed Grub to all 3 locations... it's working well, haven't rebooted yet tough and kind of don't want to :D

UPDATE: I did the sudo dpkg --configure -a in terminal after it was done, then rebooted, and it works perfectly well and fast!

eatloaf
May 9th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Wow. Just wow. I've got the same deal. If this hoses my machine then I'm giving the boot to ubuntu.

you get what you pay for, i guess.