PDA

View Full Version : OpenCV Sobel edge detection

mcweaver1
April 29th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm currently writing a C++ program to find the edges in an image using the OpenCV function cvSobel. However, I've come across an error that I can't seem to find the solution of...

IplImage * imageL = cvLoadImage("image1.pgm");

IplImage * Gx = cvCreateImage(cvGetSize(imageL),IPL_DEPTH_16S,1);

cvSobel(imageL, Gx, 1, 0, 3); //this line is failing

I have seen that the destination image Gx needs to be IPL_DEPTH_16S otherwise it causes the exact error I'm getting; however I'm pretty sure that I have set Gx to be IPL_DEPTH_16S (unless the second line is wrong....?).

Here is the error:

OpenCV Error: Assertion failed (src.size() == dst.size() && src.channels() == dst.channels() && ((src.depth() == CV_8U && (dst.depth() == CV_16S || dst.depth() == CV_32F)) || (src.depth() == CV_32F && dst.depth() == CV_32F))) in cvSobel, file /home/melissa/opencv/src/cv/cvderiv.cpp, line 347
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'cv::Exception'
what(): /home/melissa/opencv/src/cv/cvderiv.cpp:347: error: (-215) src.size() == dst.size() && src.channels() == dst.channels() && ((src.depth() == CV_8U && (dst.depth() == CV_16S || dst.depth() == CV_32F)) || (src.depth() == CV_32F && dst.depth() == CV_32F)) in function cvSobel

Looking this up online the only reason people seem to have had this error is because the destination image wasn't IPL_DEPTH_16S.

Can anyone spot my stupidity? Would be much appreciated :)

mcweaver1
April 29th, 2010, 09:30 PM
AHA, I have worked out what the problem is. For future reference, I had to convert the input image to greyscale (even though it looked like it was in b&w anyway).