PDA

View Full Version : why you should not download lucid yet

ssam
April 29th, 2010, 06:20 PM
UPDATE: the announcements are up now :-) http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/2030

some people are posting links that claim to be the ubuntu lucid release. but there has not been an official announcement yet. please don't download anything until you see the announcement on ubuntu.com, because:

* it may not be the final version. (there is work on fixing a last minute bug, if you download early you might get the buggy version)
* the devs need the bandwidth so they can test the ISOs before release.
* the ubuntu servers cannot handle everyone downloading from them, so there is a network of mirrors. these mirrors need to download ubuntu from the official server before the release can be announced. if lots of people are hammering the official server this will take longer.

so relax and wait.

drreed
April 29th, 2010, 06:26 PM
some people are posting links that claim to be the ubuntu lucid release. but there has not been an official announcement yet. please don't download anything until you see the announcement on ubuntu.com, because:

* it may not be the final version. (there is work on fixing a last minute bug, if you download early you might get the buggy version)
* the devs need the bandwidth so they can test the ISOs before release.
* the ubuntu servers cannot handle everyone downloading from them, so there is a network of mirrors. these mirrors need to download ubuntu from the official server before the release can be announced. if lots of people are hammering the official server this will take longer.

so relax and wait.

You're like the character standing in front of Macy's the morning after Thanksgiving, telling everyone to calm down because the doors won't open till everyone stops shoving. :P

Shakz
April 29th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I was actually thinking that folks might dl it early and seed the wrong iso. That would be the big concern for me as there are no build numbers.

northwestuntu
April 29th, 2010, 06:29 PM
You're like the character standing in front of Macy's the morning after Thanksgiving, telling everyone to calm down because the doors won't open till everyone stops shoving. :P

HAHA ya time for some cyber shoving! :P

nothingspecial
April 29th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I`ve just had the email :)

fr0d0
April 29th, 2010, 06:51 PM
But all the following changes will be available from update-manager?
So, we can download, enjoy, test, enjoy, test, report, update...
Isn't it? :popcorn:

fugazi32
April 29th, 2010, 06:57 PM
So when should be wait until?

98cwitr
April 29th, 2010, 07:12 PM
whatever...if it's on Ubuntu's main page I'd say it's fully released

http://www.ubuntu.com/

BigSilly
April 29th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Yup, it's out now. :)

Does anyone know where to get the md5sum's from for the different versions? I always forget where to look...

EDIT: Never mind, sorted. :)