Hello,

I'm looking for a distro that meets the following requirements:

Ubuntu-based
Comes with E17 by default
Is actively developed

So the following are ruled out:

Elive - Based on Debian now.
OpenGEU - Also based on Debian now.
Elbuntu - Apparently no longer being developed.

Another one I've looked at is MoonOS. It meets my primary requirements, but I'd rather keep looking because 1) it's moving to its own package management system (I really want it to be primarily APT-based) and 2) the Lucid version won't be out for some time.

So are there any others that might fit my requirements? Or maybe there are some that don't quite meet them, but are so amazing that I should look at them anyway?

Thanks for any suggestions!

patg7590
April 29th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I am in the same boat, I just got E17/Enlightenment (not sure what the difference is) on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid and if I could just get Compiz working, I'm pretty sure it would be close to Elive/OpenGEU.
Does anyone know how to use compiz with E17/enlightenment? (Like the OP I think) Im trying to make my Ubuntu Lucid run E17 and be awesome and snazzy like OpenGEU.

mac9416
April 29th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Hi, patg7590,

E17 is version 17 of Enlightenment. I believe it's called E17 because it's still not considered stable.

And this is precisely why I'm trying to find an E17 distro: I don't want to have to set it up. I want it to be beautimous to start with.

cascade9
April 29th, 2010, 07:36 PM
AFAIK, Elive was enver ubuntu based- started out as Knoppix based, then moved to Morphix, then to Debian.

There was "Maryan Linux" as well, but as far as I know its dead now (and the developers were planning on switching to Arch anyway).

E17 is version 17 of Enlightenment. I believe it's called E17 because it's still not considered stable.

Pretty muich- E17 is the development/unstable version of enlightenment (E16 is the last 'stable' version).

*Edit- If you really want ubuntu based, just do a minimal install of ubuntu then install E17 IMO.

mac9416
April 29th, 2010, 08:09 PM
AFAIK, Elive was enver ubuntu based- started out as Knoppix based, then moved to Morphix, then to Debian.

OK, thanks for letting me know. That one is really out then. :)

There was "Maryan Linux" as well, but as far as I know its dead now (and the developers were planning on switching to Arch anyway).

Yes, I'd heard about that one. You're right, it seems dead and they did plan to move to Arch.

*Edit- If you really want ubuntu based, just do a minimal install of ubuntu then install E17 IMO.

I'll do that if I have to. But I would prefer an E17 distro because 1) I don't want to spend much time customizing and 2) I like trying new distros.

smellyman
April 29th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I would still look at MoonOS...

I have read great things.

orion2008
April 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Hey definitely check out MoonOS I put it on an HP laptop that I have been using to check out and test various distros and it worked very well.

mac9416
April 30th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Well, since y'all think I ought to, I will try MoonOS. But here are the reasons I hesitate to go with it:

The Lucid version won't be out for some time. I do Python development and many of the tools I need are available only in Lucid.
The next version will have a new file system hierarchy. I'm glad they're trying something new, but being fairly new to Linux I need to learn the usual hierarchy first.
The next version will not use APT as the default package management system. I really love APT.

I really like the look of MoonOS and intend to check it out, but those several things are real deal-killers for me.

Off-topic: orion2008, I like your location, "Nashvegas." :)

cascade9
April 30th, 2010, 08:55 AM
OK, thanks for letting me know. That one is really out then. :)

Interesting...you rule it out because its knoppix then debain based? Apart from the (early) knoppix versions, wouldnt that rule out ubuntu as well...its debian based. ;)

For myself, if anything make me go 'I'm nto going to touch elive' its the way that some versions want you to pay to install. It wouldnt be not quite as bad if they actually warned you when you d/led it....

One of these days, E17 will go stable (hopefully before duke nuken forever comes out LMAO) and then there will be a lot more choice. Seeing how its still 'unstable' and looks like it will remian like that for...er...soem time, thats not going to be soon though. Pity- I dont use E17 much, but I didnt mind it when I did use it. Not enough to make me replace Xfce or KDE though.

Off-topic: orion2008, I like your location, "Nashvegas." :)

Pity I changed my loctaion from 'brisvegas' then, you could have gone 2-up (BTW, bad australian gambling joke there). ;)

mac9416
April 30th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Interesting...you rule it out because its knoppix then debain based? Apart from the (early) knoppix versions, wouldnt that rule out ubuntu as well...its debian based. ;)

Right. Well, it's OK for Ubuntu to be Debian-based because it's Ubuntu. But I prefer only to use other distros that are Ubuntu-based, mainly because I like the Ubuntu community.

For myself, if anything make me go 'I'm nto going to touch elive' its the way that some versions want you to pay to install. It wouldnt be not quite as bad if they actually warned you when you d/led it....

Ooh, that's a very good reason not to mess with Elive.

One of these days, E17 will go stable (hopefully before duke nuken forever comes out LMAO) and then there will be a lot more choice. Seeing how its still 'unstable' and looks like it will remian like that for...er...soem time, thats not going to be soon though. Pity- I dont use E17 much, but I didnt mind it when I did use it. Not enough to make me replace Xfce or KDE though.

I don't think there are even any E16-based Ubuntu derivatives are there? But I hope you're right. Maybe when E17 becomes officially "stable" some more distros will pop up.

Pity I changed my loctaion from 'brisvegas' then, you could have gone 2-up (BTW, bad australian gambling joke there). ;)

:lolflag:

cascade9
May 1st, 2010, 04:40 PM
Right. Well, it's OK for Ubuntu to be Debian-based because it's Ubuntu. But I prefer only to use other distros that are Ubuntu-based, mainly because I like the Ubuntu community.

Fair enough..unless you mean that as a debian user I cant talk here? :lolflag:

I dont use ubntu much at all myself, to much stuff I dotn want installed, debian makes things much 'cleaner' for me. But even on debian there ends up being a few things I have to uninstall manually....

I don't think there are even any E16-based Ubuntu derivatives are there? But I hope you're right. Maybe when E17 becomes officially "stable" some more distros will pop up.

As far as I know, there are very few E16 distros in general, and none based on ubuntu.

mac9416
May 1st, 2010, 04:47 PM
Fair enough..unless you mean that as a debian user I cant talk here? :lolflag:

Everyone's welcome here. :)

I dont use ubntu much at all myself, to much stuff I dotn want installed, debian makes things much 'cleaner' for me. But even on debian there ends up being a few things I have to uninstall manually....

Everyone has slightly different taste.

As far as I know, there are very few E16 distros in general, and none based on ubuntu.

OK, that's what I figured.

So I reckon I'll end up customizing a normal Ubuntu install to use E17. Maybe a distro will pop up before the next release. I'll keep my eyes open.

cascade9
May 1st, 2010, 06:16 PM
Everyone has slightly different taste.

I always run what several people I know call "a lame MacOSX rippoff" theme on winXP (ran? Been a while since I've even hooked up the drive). My liking of brushed metal themes and the way I always have a fractal image for the backgound make my computers a bit different to most....even if, as according to a lot of the people I know, my taste is suspect... :lolflag:

Now I just need to find a good brushed metal theme for KDE4 (and/or Xfce). :)

piousp
May 7th, 2010, 09:13 PM
There's a "Metal" plasma theme in KDE 4 ;)

cascade9
May 12th, 2010, 09:37 AM
If you mean 'metalised' then it doesnt quite do it for me. If its some other theme...er..link please? ;)