PDA

View Full Version : Will compiz ever play nice with full screen applications?

DeusExM1
April 29th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I like how you can spin the cube with compiz. But if you are running a game which is in full screen, and then spin it, the panels stay on top. Is it possible for this to ever get fixed?

It would be really cool if you could play a game, spin to the next desktop to do some web surfing while the game loads, and then go back to playing.

Any thoughts?

clhsharky
April 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Toys always break!

DeusExM1
April 30th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Cool story bro. Write a book about it, maybe you will win the Pulitzer prize.

Any real answers?

brian183
April 30th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Have you tried the option in compiz-settings-manager to "Unredirect fullscreen apps"? It could be called something else and I think it solves a problem not even related to what you are describing but it's the only thing my brain can come up with right now. Plus I rarely use compiz. It's a really cool desktop but I really don't need it.

Hope this helps.

phrostbyte
April 30th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Yes, once drivers implement DRI2. I think Nvidia proprietary drivers don't have conflicts with Compiz either.

Random_Dude
April 30th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I think there's only one person on compiz right now, so I don't think that's going to be fixed so soon.

But it's a good idea, never thought about that...

blur xc
April 30th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I'm not a gamer, but I don't have any trouble with compiz and full screen apps. Most of the time, in my use case, I have Vista in VBox running full screen, and I can happily rotate my cube all I want w/o any crashing. The last full screen compiz crash I can recall, was trying to use the scale plugin while having a full screen vimeo video playing. But I have the compiz applet deal in my top panel, so it's like two mouse clicks to restart compiz...

Hardly a problem.

BM

edit- yeah, and using nvidia proprietary drivers...

DeusExM1
May 1st, 2010, 01:04 AM
thanks for all the answers that was very informative. Im using nvidia proprietary drivers as well. My compiz doesnt crash, its just that the panels get superimposed on the game once i switch back.

I assume there is no "Auto-hide" option for the panels?

Either way thanks for some real help.