PDA

View Full Version : How times have changed . . .Unix->Linux

drreed
April 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Last night I started an earnest search for the best deal on a terabyte drive for my desktop. I found several at newegg for less than $80, and a couple for around $60.

While pondering this decision this morning, something in the air, maybe it was the smell of burnt coffee glue cooking in the empty pot, reminded me of another morning years ago.

My goal was to convince my boss that we needed another 500mb Maxtor SCSI "Earthquake" drive for our tower. That's right, m e g a b y t e. It was around $1700. He asked me why they called it an "Earthquake" drive, and I related the story of how a building collapsed in California during an earthquake, and when they pilled the smashed case from the rubble, the Maxtor booted and passed an fsck. His response was, "If it survived all that then we don't need a second one, we already have the best."

Rats! If I was going to participate in UUCP mail forwarding at night, I needed that drive, the mirror idea I gave him was just an excuse that he saw through immediately. I was always wanting stuff like that. Our commo package was Kermit, a port I'd done twice already for two separate architectures (while he thought I was working on extremely critical business software, which I was, but heck - all work and no play . . .) But all that allowed me to do was play on BBS's like BYTE. I wanted more . . .and one day I was going to have a big tower in my own house, some how, some way. I'd never sleep, just code and code and code my way to the top of the world.

Now I have 3 consoles at home, and megabytes? LOL. Top of the world? I'm still a newb
:lolflag:.

cuberts
April 29th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Last night I started an earnest search for the best deal on a terabyte drive for my desktop. I found several at newegg for less than $80, and a couple for around $60.

While pondering this decision this morning, something in the air, maybe it was the smell of burnt coffee glue cooking in the empty pot, reminded me of another morning years ago.

My goal was to convince my boss that we needed another 500mb Maxtor SCSI "Earthquake" drive for our tower. That's right, m e g a b y t e. It was around $1700. He asked me why they called it an "Earthquake" drive, and I related the story of how a building collapsed in California during an earthquake, and when they pilled the smashed case from the rubble, the Maxtor booted and passed an fsck. His response was, "If it survived all that then we don't need a second one, we already have the best."

Rats! If I was going to participate in UUCP mail forwarding at night, I needed that drive, the mirror idea I gave him was just an excuse that he saw through immediately. I was always wanting stuff like that. Our commo package was Kermit, a port I'd done twice already for two separate architectures (while he thought I was working on extremely critical business software, which I was, but heck - all work and no play . . .) But all that allowed me to do was play on BBS's like BYTE. I wanted more . . .and one day I was going to have a big tower in my own house, some how, some way. I'd never sleep, just code and code and code my way to the top of the world.

Now I have 3 consoles at home, and megabytes? LOL. Top of the world? I'm still a newb
:lolflag:.Aha it is pretty interesting to me too. I have only experienced Karmic Koala, and I will be upgrading to the next version, Lucid Lynx soon. Well I decided to wait until it was acutally realsed, because I realized that the download would take less time.

cuberts
April 29th, 2010, 04:51 PM

:lolflag:.Also how long have you been using Ubuntu?
also what other Linux distrubutions have you used

th5th
April 29th, 2010, 05:11 PM
:lolflag:.

Humble *nix vets are the best <3

drreed
April 29th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Also how long have you been using Ubuntu?
also what other Linux distrubutions have you used

I used Fedora to begin with. I started with release 4.5 or something like that. I picked it because it was a "developers release" supposedly, and that sounded like me. LOL

Then I got Ubuntu, and finally FreeBSD (which btw, was a philosophical stretch for me, I still harbor grudges from the early days)

I have CentoOS but only for testing.

I have Fedora 12 but don't use it.

This morning I'm considering Crunch Bang linux, but everyone's talking about 10.4 release, so I'll probably do that too. When I get the new drive installed, I'll have a few more options.