PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to switch users without locking the screen?

vmalep
April 29th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Hi everybody,

Does someone knows how to disable the screen lock when switching users. We are sharing the computer my girlfriend and I and it is annoying to have to enter the password every time one of us want to return to his own environment.

I noted that if I switch directly doing Alt+F7 or Alt+F8, the environment I am coming from is not locked if I come came. I guess the lock is thus activated when pushing on the "Switch user..." short cut.

Thanks for your contribution!
Pierre

rnerwein
April 29th, 2010, 08:17 PM
hi
i you talk about the command "su - your_gierlfriends_name" then what do you think about this solution.
append the last line in the file /etc/sudoers by adding the following line ( !!! remember it must be the end of that file !! )

your_username ALL=NOPASSWD: /bin/su

save the file ( the best is to open a root shell before in another window - just for the reason you made a mistake when you edit the file - /etc/sudoers is very sensitive ! )

then create a shell script (call it how you like it ) e.g. your_girlfriends_name with following command.
/usr/bin/sudo /bin/su - your_girlfriends_name

make this script executable.
in the terminal you have only to type: your_girlfriends_name ( ~/any_where/your_girlfriends_name )
this will switch to your girlfriends account without asking you for a password.

have fun with both :-)
ciao

alfplayer
April 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Try running the command gdmflexiserver. After that you can switch desktops pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7 and Ctrl+Alt+F8. Be aware this runs another X server and another desktop environment, so the memory usage will increase and might be inappropriate for your hardware.

BlackShift
May 14th, 2010, 09:32 AM
You can switch without locking when you disable locking the screen completely by using gconf-editor to set /desktop/gnome/lockdown/disable_lock_screen to True.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9297314&postcount=25