PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Grub gone, dkms didnt rebuild nvidia, no sound - what's happening?

ghetto2ivy
April 29th, 2010, 03:13 PM
This week my machine has gone haywire. I run 64bit 9.10 and have been doing so just fine from the start. Then about a week ago things started to wrong after some regular ubuntu updates (I haven't installed anything new...)

Sound -- first thing to have issues. Basically I have no sound unless its a very loud part of a movie, and then its distorted,
Grub -- I run a Raid-1 array for my main data. After today's update Grub disappeared from the main first disk int he array (It says not bootable), I now have to boot to the second.
NVIDIA/ DKMS -- I run Dkms so that the nvidia driver and others will rebuild after a kernel update. Well after today's update it didn't. On reboot, gdm failed to load and I had to drop into a shell and rebuild myself.

The last one is not a big deal for a techie such as myself but I'd hate to subject someone else to that if its not needed..

I still need to repair the GRUB install (any help for doing htat on the raid 1 disk is appreciated).

I also still do not have sound. (HDA Intel Chip).

ghetto2ivy
May 2nd, 2010, 07:03 AM
Progress so far:

Nvidia driver reinstalled
Grub Bootsector copied from cloned drive of the raid array to primary using dd

The sound problem continues. Reinstalled pulseaudio, didn't help. No one else had these odd issues?