PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lucid Lynx and playing dvd's?

iggy pop
April 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I have installed Lucid Lynx 10.04 to the hard drive and the only problem encountered so far is i can't play any dvd's. I have updated Synaptic, added Medibuntu repositories + restricted extras. But when i try to play a dvd an error message appears stating: Could not read from resource? Help anyone please

iggy pop
April 29th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Success at last! Now i can watch Avatar and all my other favourite DVD's whenever i choose

Alan James
April 29th, 2010, 12:51 PM
What did you do to get it to work?

iggy pop
April 29th, 2010, 01:12 PM
A bit hit and miss on my part really. I made sure to install medibuntu repositories, restricted extras, libdvdcss2 and w32codecs.

Stray Wolf
May 12th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I've got Totem playing dvds but the video gets lines across it when the camera pans or when there is a lot of action.

santibatista
August 3rd, 2010, 05:06 AM
If anyone is still interested, I had the same problem and I could not fix it with any of the hints and tips I found in the forum. I finally tried to convert the dvd to a different format, I installed "DVD 9 to 5" from the Software center, and then realized that in fact you can preview the movies before converting them... I didn't even have to convert it!

It worked just fine for me!

Good luck,

Nick_Jinn
August 3rd, 2010, 05:10 AM
I use Mint and it plays DVDs out of the box every time.

Sometimes it seems like you have to reboot your computer for some of this stuff to work....I am not sure if that is the case with Medibuntu since I havnt had to install it in a while.

selittl
August 5th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Nick_Jinn, where did you get Mint?

Nick_Jinn
August 5th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Nick_Jinn, where did you get Mint?

Its an offshoot of Ubuntu. You would have to reinstall the whole operating system, but its not that difficult. It takes 20 minutes on a fast fast PC, but almost always under an hour. When you boot in the first time, its pretty much ready to go.

Ubuntu Veterans dont see much use in using mint (unless they are setting it up for someone else and are in a hurry), but it just comes with lots of updates that Ubuntu had to patch and also with codecs that are illegal for Ubuntu.....In Ireland its legal for them to include codecs that are illegal in the US, but that is more of a developer concern. Its not an end user concern.

I recommend Mint over Ubuntu for noobs. Its basically Ubuntu with a few tweaks that make life easier.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

I only download the 64bit version if I have 3.512 gb of Ram or more....otherwise go with 32, because there are compatibility benefits to 32bit still....like gaming.

I prefer Gnome, but if you want a lite weight distro try XFCE. LXDE is even more lite weight but even less polished so far. XFCE has better Gnome compatibility.

selittl
August 5th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Nick_Jinn, Thanks. I'll keep Mint in mind. Ubuntu is working almost flawlessly right now (I got my dvd drive to work finally last night) and so don't really want to go down the install road again. Maybe. We'll see...;)

Nick_Jinn
August 5th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Yeah, its not much different. It just saves you a little bit of trouble shooting and extra steps, which it seems like you have already dealt with. Not much point now, unless you like the theme and layout....also there is Mint-install, and they let you choose what updates to isntall by importance....good for servers and also people on dialup.

shahbazi784
December 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM
just for the record...

i installed medibuntu-keyring: nothing changed
i installed libdvdcss2: it worked
didnt bother with the other things the threadstarter mentioned, but im sure they are helpful too

thanks a lot

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu#Adding%20the%20Repositories