PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 - Upgrading vs Clean install regarding development tools - Apache, MySQL, etc.

Tommy599
April 29th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Hey,

I currently run 9.10 and have / and /home mounted on different partitions. From what I understand, I can do a fresh install of 10.04 on / while preserving my settings on /home.

What about the development tools? I currently have Apache web server, Tomcat, MySQL, PostgreSQL installed. I presume I will have to reinstall them if I do a fresh install right?

So if I want to preserve these dev tools as they are I should only do an upgrade from the update manager?

Are there any major advantages to a clean install over an upgrade?

Thanks!

Bobhuber
April 29th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Hey,

I currently run 9.10 and have / and /home mounted on different partitions. From what I understand, I can do a fresh install of 10.04 on / while preserving my settings on /home.

What about the development tools? I currently have Apache web server, Tomcat, MySQL, PostgreSQL installed. I presume I will have to reinstall them if I do a fresh install right?

So if I want to preserve these dev tools as they are I should only do an upgrade from the update manager?

Are there any major advantages to a clean install over an upgrade?

Thanks!

Just my 2 cents worth.I have pretty much the same setup but I also have a second drive set up for fresh installs.The MSQL databases can be transfered with no problem and I've found that a fresh install without exception works much better than an upgrade.
I'd rather find and fix the new problems with a fresh install than transfer old ones (which 9.10 has) into a new op system.BTW I highly recommend an upgrade to Lucid just for the difference in speed.Especially if you have Apach2 set up along with your desktop.
I also use Compiz desktop effects and the speed difference is remarkable.